Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,511,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
You could have fooled me. I thought the whole Bay Area was as blue as it gets. All those places you mentioned are all upscale, high end towns ($1 mil+ homes). I wonder why there are not more middle class conservative places in the Bay Area.
Livermore is "upscale" and "high end" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 12:37 AM

24 posts, read 108,421 times
Is the following what you expected out of a typical liberal here:

Repugs need not live in the bay. I'm from Pleasanton originally, and most of us were all democrats. We don't want Republicans around thanks. We are super tolerant except when it comes to repugs. Tolerance and Liberality.

*sarcasm*

Why can't we all just live together, regardless of politics? Has partisanship really become so bad?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:53 AM

7,665 posts, read 5,379,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You're right, this isn't the place for a political discussion! But to quickly respond, I don't think either party takes care of the "regular people", which is one reason I'm an independent. But obviously I'm liberal-leaning, so Dems are like the lesser of two evils imo. Anyway, let's agree to disagree and drop it, before I have to delete my own posts for being off-topic.
If someone asked for a "list of towns where I can see killer dog fights" or "**** fighting", that would tend to make those of us opposed to those "practices" see red, and I think asking for a LIST of conservative towns in the Bay Area is baiting us to engage in political discussions, even if it "appears" to be innocuous.

LISTS like this are easily found on the Internet in any browser. But if someone asks for them in this forum, I don't see why we cannot make a few, uh "sarcastic comments".

Oh my, should I have said "ROOSTER fighting"?!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 PM

7,302 posts, read 3,367,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
If someone asked for a "list of towns where I can see killer dog fights" or "**** fighting", that would tend to make those of us opposed to those "practices" see red, and I think asking for a LIST of conservative towns in the Bay Area is baiting us to engage in political discussions, even if it "appears" to be innocuous.

LISTS like this are easily found on the Internet in any browser. But if someone asks for them in this forum, I don't see why we cannot make a few, uh "sarcastic comments".

Oh my, should I have said "ROOSTER fighting"?!!!
It's only baiting if you are prone to be baited by such an seemingly sincere question. It really comes down to a matter of basic self-control and adherence to the spirit of this section of the forum, which should theoretically be easy for most people. As was earlier pointed out, political discussions are for another part of the forum. I would add that answering this question without proposed sarcastic remarks reflects tolerance and maturity. You are setting up a nasty straw man by introducing the concept of commenting on dog fighting, or rooster fighting, as a parallel to commenting on a question that reflects conservative interests. In case you are still lost as to why treating this question with maturity and according to the spirit of this section of the forum makes sense, I'd remind you that the thread can easily devolve into a political brawl and thus deviate from the theme of the thread and this forum section. Get it?

Because the Bay Area is so liberal, I view this question as completely sensical and sincere. Similar questions are rampant in the forums of places that are mostly red.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 AM

510 posts, read 429,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltale12 View Post
Is the following what you expected out of a typical liberal here:

Repugs need not live in the bay. I'm from Pleasanton originally, and most of us were all democrats. We don't want Republicans around thanks. We are super tolerant except when it comes to repugs. Tolerance and Liberality.

*sarcasm*

Why can't we all just live together, regardless of politics? Has partisanship really become so bad?
"We're tolerant of everything but people who disagree with us."

Old 05-06-2014, 07:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,771,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
"We're tolerant of everything but people who disagree with us."
That's because they suck and they don't know what the hell they're talking about and they're intolerant of us so we're intolerant of their intolerance of our intolerance so there.

When I first moved up here, we moved in with a couple from Florida St., and the guy says to my arch-feminist girlfriend, "We're conservative because we conserve." We decided entering into political debates with these weird red-state transplant types (that dude had a massive handgun and an ego+drinking problem) wasn't worth the effort, save for laughs. That was in the SC mountains - there are hardcore lefties and righties all over the place up there.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Why would Michael Savage live here? I can't believe he moved out of Brooklyn (NY).
Because conservatives love to hate on the Bay Area but that’s because most can’t afford it here.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 PM

244 posts, read 179,442 times
It seems like there are three types of "Conservatives" (a simplification that somewhat approximates reality):

1. Religious. Mostly concerned with sexual morality and ability to enact their religion in public domain.

2. Eurocentrics (a neutral term to replace the r-word overused by some Leftie loonies). View America as a project started by Europeans and for Europeans and now threatened by various "others". Their chief concern is immigration as well as "reverse racism".

3. Libertarians. Don't like to pay for anyone but themselves and their families. Taxes and regulations are their foes.

The places OP listed are quite affluent and do indeed contain plenty of Conservatives but mostly of type 3. As far as types 1 and 2 go, their presence is small and their positions are highly unpopular in the Bay Area.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,816,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Because conservatives love to hate on the Bay Area but that’s because most can’t afford it here.
How interesting. This conservative household owns two Bay Area houses free and clear. How many do you own?

Old 10-18-2017, 04:31 AM

32,847 posts, read 12,115,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
How interesting. This conservative household owns two Bay Area houses free and clear. How many do you own?
He lives at home with mom, and loves to whine about not being able to afford to buy a house in the Bay Area

It's also pretty telling that he dug up a nearly 3 1/2 Year old thread just to attempt to insult conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland