U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:02 PM

7,762 posts, read 6,822,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by king georges View Post
Oakland's weather is better than anywhere else. Warm summers, hardly rains, no humidity, mild winters.
Sounds much like San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 PM

224 posts, read 222,831 times
Whoever said "best=best for me" has it right. I feel Bay Area weather, generally speaking, is probably some of the best in the nation when you consider the limited extremes we feel here. It's usually not "freezing" (though some winter early mornings can reach those temps) and it's usually not sweltering (100 degrees+). We have decent exposure to seasons w/out dealing with humidity in the summer or snowstorms in the winter. Personally, I hate cold and rain and fog and find winter here hard, but I remind myself it could be SO MUCH WORSE. By April I'm usually pretty pleased with all things weather and this carries on until November. Sometimes winter is fairly mild (ie: this year, but then March was crazy with the rain). Sometimes winter lasts 5 months (and that is when I search on Southwest for a get-away to escape ). But really, this totally depends on what you prefer. My spouse prefers heat and sunshine and could have that year-round and never tire of it. I have friends who love the rain and loathe the heat. So, you're definitely going to find people who aren't fond of our weather b/c there's too much of something that someone doesn't like. I think the reason why so many praise the Bay Area for weather though is because of those limited extremes. For most, there's enough sunshine and enough "wintry" weeks to keep everyone happy. I'm sure all us Bay Areans have our favorite seasons and our least favorite ones, but overall we're pretty lucky to have the weather we do. And really... consider all the areas in the U.S. that have full seasons where they really can't go outside (snowstorms, heatwaves in the desert, etc.). We don't face that here.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,527,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
... I know when I first moved here, I thought it was PERFECT. Now, at 52, I'm feeling the chill more. ... And I also see a lot of older people all bundled up.... to them it's cold.
That's just typical aging (assuming no thyroid/hormone problems). My grandparents start to get chilled if it drops down into the 70's. Everyone else can be sweating and my grandfather will be asking for a blanket.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,178,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
That's just typical aging (assuming no thyroid/hormone problems). My grandparents start to get chilled if it drops down into the 70's. Everyone else can be sweating and my grandfather will be asking for a blanket.
i think my aging is going the other way. can't deal with heat any more and still hate below 32. san jose is warmer even than i'd like. maybe oakland area is a little cooler?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,739,053 times
I must admit, Oakland and Berkeley have great weather. A few degrees warmer on average than much San Francisco, more sun, but still cool and comfortable in the summer. Still, I was born and raised on the fogbound west side of town, so its normal to me.

I lived in Des Moines, IA for a year and a half and those two summers were miserable at times. Its not excessively hot all the time (like Texas), but those four or five weeks above 90 with above 90% humidity suck. I felt like I couldn't breathe. I also lived in Fresno two years and I'll take that blazing hot but dry valley heat any day over the Midwest.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 PM

12,928 posts, read 11,125,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I must admit, Oakland and Berkeley have great weather. A few degrees warmer on average than much San Francisco, more sun, but still cool and comfortable in the summer. Still, I was born and raised on the fogbound west side of town, so its normal to me.

I lived in Des Moines, IA for a year and a half and those two summers were miserable at times. Its not excessively hot all the time (like Texas), but those four or five weeks above 90 with above 90% humidity suck. I felt like I couldn't breathe. I also lived in Fresno two years and I'll take that blazing hot but dry valley heat any day over the Midwest.
With summer temps between 68 and 72 (Berkeley) and 72 and 75 (Oakland) with dew points ranging between the low 40's to mid 50's, I don't think it can really get any better

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM

2,496 posts, read 5,726,033 times
It's just about preference! I can't tolerate heat & humidity one bit (and I lived in Florida 10+ years) so the Bay Area has fine weather to me. Of course, I prefer it a little warmer like here in San Diego.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,039,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelingYogi View Post
So I grew up in Woodside, CA. I went to Kings Mountain elementary school, Cunha middle school (Half Moon Bay) and both Half Moon Bay High and Aragon High school (San Mateo). All the while living in the same house in Woodside.

I grew up always hearing from teachers and all sorts of people that we have the best weather in the world.

I never, ever got this. I was always freezing. I think it is way too cold in the Bay Area. Way too cold. Why do so many people think we have this great wether? I never understood this.

I live in San Juan, Puerto Rico now and the weather here is awesome. We are about to go into the humid season which will last 3 months but the other 9 are gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

I miss a lot of things about San Francisco but the weather is NOT one of them.

Is it that so many people come from places with really terrible weather that they think the Bay Area wether is that great?
The scientific, non emotional answer is, the sum of heating and cooling degree days. Energy speculators hate the Bay Area! LOL!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 PM

1,550 posts, read 1,912,145 times
Its not just bay area....entire coastal CA has most overrated, boring (i.e. no seasons), permanently cold weather in the whole US. SF weather is ugly!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 PM

507 posts, read 563,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The scientific, non emotional answer is, the sum of heating and cooling degree days. Energy speculators hate the Bay Area! LOL!
Hahaha. There was this fancy German energy-saving model house touring the world. It stopped in Fort Mason for a few weeks. It was neat but... really. No place in the world needs that technology less.

The weather has turned out to be nicer than I expected, and I moved here mostly for the weather. But I'm not that picky. Any place where I don't have to constantly cancel my plans in the winter due to bad weather, and spend spring and summer nights up late tracking tornadoes is a win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland