Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 PM

326 posts, read 527,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
What do the Ten Commandments have to do with wild animals in captivity anyway? Bizarre.
Because until recently, Americans knew that their blessing and freedom came from God. As such, they publicly gave him thanks for these blessings.

I'm not going to argue that America is perfect. But hey, neither am I. Thats why Jesus died on a cross for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 PM

37,077 posts, read 42,050,241 times
It's been there since around 1965.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,771,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Right, and for that reason there is no need to fear "The Church of The United States" (not going to happen) or the Pope, or the Holy Roman Emperor or whomever. And therefore, no need to be rabid about removing all references to religion from the public square.
True which is why in solving these issues courts focus on the supreme court ruling that interprets the 1st amendment as prohibiting "the preference by the U.S. government of one religion over another"
if you want a christian symbol on public property you have to also put a star of david , star and crescent or any other symbol of belief someone may want.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Too bad they soon after started burning witches...

What do the Ten Commandments have to do with wild animals in captivity anyway? Bizarre.
This wasn't clearly written. In Europe, they burned witches, but in America, we didn't. We hung witches, with the exception of Giles Corey, in Salem. He was pressed to death by board and stone in order to obtain his confession. All he would say is "more weight".

We did however burn slaves.

That's your history lesson for the day.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 AM

386 posts, read 795,558 times
The whole thing seems to be self promotion for the author of the letter. Doesn't seem to be getting any traction unless he proceeds with a lawsuit.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,402,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its not really that complicated and certainly doesnt warrant your typical irrational indignation.

The zoo is owned by the City of Oakland and is partially supported by taxpayers--hence this Joey person being upset.

There, that didnt hurt now did it?
So what does this have to do with church and state?

Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,481,229 times
I would need to look back at the property history... which is varied.

One important note is for 50 years the City only leased the land from the State and then subleased most of it to the Zoological Society of Alameda County.

For most of my time the park was known as Knowland State Park... just one of California's many State Parks.

At one time... the land was owned by Bank of American when it foreclosed on it during the Great Depression...

Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 868 times
The monument is a religious symbol that supports thinking that is dangerous. Does anyone realize a record number of bills attempted to put creationism back into public schools in 2011? I guess no one has noticed the attempts to take away women's rights? It's simple- It's public land, a religious symbol is there and it doesn't belong. Joey has offered to move it to any church that wants it. It belongs in a church.Simple. I'm not saying you should care, if you don't then go on about your lives. I'm not comfortable with the way religion is forced on people continuously and the only way to make sure it is stopped is by small gestures over time. I realize many people have a live and let live attitude especially here where people are more tolerant. That's fine. But gays don't have equal rights here do they? You know why? Religion. Stem cell research has been slowed despite what it is going to do to better people's lives. You know why? Religion. I assume many of you just "yawn" at all of this but it makes some of us uncomfortable. We've spent 2000 years waiting for people to wake the hell up and live in the real world. Now it's time to make a statement and that is going to happen whether anyone likes it or not.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:45 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,264,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reap View Post
The monument is a religious symbol that supports thinking that is dangerous.
This is a bit exaggerated. Approximately 75% of all Americans identify themselves as Christians which means that the contents of the Ten Commandments do not insult or shock them. lol

The rest of your post about stem cells and what not are totally unrelated to the issue of the ten commandments placed in the back of some building on the Oakland Zoo property.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 3,624 times
In this day and age where men disrespect women and domestic violence is at an all time high, where homosexuals are allowed to walk around naked in the Castro district (so what if you have a bunch of 5 yr olds with you, their rights are higher than yours, stupid), where teens swear at their teachers and assault them, where underaged prostitution is all over the place in Oakland, especially on International Blvd, where teen pregnancy is at an all time high, I THINK WE NEED SOME WORDS TO COUNTERACT THE DOWNWARD SLIDE OF CIVILIZATION. Jeez, those words are so hard to read that nobody will read them anyway. What are we going to do, spend 100 Billion dollars to erase "In god we trust" from every penny in America just to prove a point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland