Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 6,446 times

Advertisements

Hello all ,

I need to join a new Job next month .My job Location is at SF downtown at intersection of Market and 1st .
Have been reading a lot in the forums but cant narrow down the locations.

I am 30 , My salary would be around 130k, is that enough to sustain a decent lifestyle there ?
and I was hoping to get a 2 bedroom apt , .
- Not too far from city , always wanted to see sfo night life
- less commute being the highest priority .
- no kids , so dont care too much about school
- people from work suggested me Fremont
- preferably between 1700-2200
- closer to bart station I guess

I am sorry if my requirements are unreasonable but moving from TX and looking at SFO housing is a big shock for me .always knew its expensive but never knew its this bad.

Thanks

Last edited by humbleBee10; 06-01-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 04:26 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,194,408 times
First of all, shoot the person who recommends Fremont. It's a 60 to 90 mins commute during morning/night rush and no reason to live there if you don't have kids.

I say give Oakland a look - the nice part of Oakland. Temescal, Rockridge and surrounding area that is close to BART and you can still find a 2 bedroom within your price range.

Or the Peninsula - Brisbane, South San Francisco, etc.

But if I were you, I'd suck it up and live in SF. You're still young, no reason to venture out to the suburbs (the suburbs excludes Oakland).

Old 06-01-2012, 04:28 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,691,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleBee10 View Post
Fremont is about 40 miles away and would be a long commute with BART. Since you're earning $130K, you can afford to live in SF, but expect to pay more than $2200 for a 2 bedroom apt.

Another option that would be cheaper is to live in the east bay such as Rockridge which is on the BART line.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:03 PM

24,350 posts, read 26,800,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleBee10 View Post
Hello all ,

I need to join a new Job next month .My job Location is at SF downtown at intersection of Market and 1st .
Have been reading a lot in the forums but cant narrow down the locations.

I am 30 , My salary would be around 130k, is that enough to sustain a decent lifestyle there ?
and I was hoping to get a 2 bedroom apt , .
- Not too far from city , always wanted to see sfo night life
- less commute being the highest priority .
- no kids , so dont care too much about school
- closer to bart station I guess

I am sorry if my requirements are unreasonable but moving from TX and looking at SFO housing is a big shock for me .always knew its expensive but never knew its this bad.

Thanks
WHY THE ____ WOULD ANYONE RECOMMEND FREMONT WITH A $130K SALARY! Sorry, but they are an idiot... you can afford to live in the city. Maybe check out Baycrest in South Beach. You'll enjoy your life in SF with $130k, you won't feel RICH, but you will live comfortably.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:34 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,270,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
WHY THE ____ WOULD ANYONE RECOMMEND FREMONT WITH A $130K SALARY!
Probably because:

1)They can get a much nicer place for much less money.

2)Safety!

3)Fremont is a 46 minute Bart ride to Embarcadero. It may take longer by SF Muni for someone in the Outer parts of Sunset or Richmond.

4)They might like the authentic Indian food in Fremont

5)They might like warm sunny weather

6)No parking hassles

Compare a Fremont apartment across from Bart with pool,workout gym etc. to any almost unlivable 2 bedroom in SF for the same price.

Example Fremont apartment across from Bart

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 06-01-2012, 10:32 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,118,000 times
I am a recent transplant from Texas too. I am working a couple of blocks from you and just got an apartment on Russian Hill. Yes, it is stupid expensive here, but it is one of the few places in the US that is worth it.

If you endure the hardships required to come out here and settle somewhere like Fremont, you will miss most of it and will kick yourself one day. This isn't like Texas, where there are plenty of young, single lifestyle options in the suburbs. The City is where you need to be. Trust me.

Get a one bedroom. Minimize your footprint a little. You might even want to ditch your car. I went from two big cars to one tiny one and haven't looked back. For the first several months i was here, i walked the streets after work every night -- different ones to different places -- ducking into bars or grabbing coffee, talking to locals, taking in the sights, etc. We walk everywhere here and the City is best experienced on foot or bike. I commute by bicycle most of the time now.

Welcome. Seize this opportunity.SF is one of the most interesting and invigorating cities in the world. If you tap into it, it will change your life for the better. San Francisco is a city you absorb through your pores. It's not the utopia you've seen as a tourist, though. It's life's classroom. A surrogate mother. A muse. A hell of a nasty hangover. A smelly backwater. A cosmopolitan metropolis. A dream you never have to wake up from.

People all over the world would kill for the opportunity you just described being offered to you. Don't let them down by living in Fremont.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,688,949 times
Fremont = deep surburbia, you won't be happy there.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,912,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I am a recent transplant from Texas too. I am working a couple of blocks from you and just got an apartment on Russian Hill. Yes, it is stupid expensive here, but it is one of the few places in the US that is worth it.

If you endure the hardships required to come out here and settle somewhere like Fremont, you will miss most of it and will kick yourself one day. This isn't like Texas, where there are plenty of young, single lifestyle options in the suburbs. The City is where you need to be. Trust me.

Get a one bedroom. Minimize your footprint a little. You might even want to ditch your car. I went from two big cars to one tiny one and haven't looked back. For the first several months i was here, i walked the streets after work every night -- different ones to different places -- ducking into bars or grabbing coffee, talking to locals, taking in the sights, etc. We walk everywhere here and the City is best experienced on foot or bike. I commute by bicycle most of the time now.

Welcome. Seize this opportunity.SF is one of the most interesting and invigorating cities in the world. If you tap into it, it will change your life for the better. San Francisco is a city you absorb through your pores. It's not the utopia you've seen as a tourist, though. It's life's classroom. A surrogate mother. A muse. A hell of a nasty hangover. A smelly backwater. A cosmopolitan metropolis. A dream you never have to wake up from.

People all over the world would kill for the opportunity you just described being offered to you. Don't let them down by living in Fremont.
very well said!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,270,391 times
Quote:
Get a one bedroom. Minimize your footprint a little. You might even want to ditch your car. I went from two big cars to one tiny one and haven't looked back. For the first several months i was here, i walked the streets after work every night -- different ones to different places
Someone could easily walk the streets after work,have dinner and afterwards they could take the train back to their comfortable reasonably priced apartment somewhere on the Bart train line. With the money they save by not living in SF they could afford to eat out every night in the city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Fremont = deep surburbia, you won't be happy there.
San Ramon = Deep Suburbia. Fremont is an unique international community with a large South Asian,Afghan & Asian population.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:36 PM

33 posts, read 56,693 times
Quote:

*Standing Ovation*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland