Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 PM

121 posts, read 210,066 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for suggestions on places outside SF to potentially call home. I'm less familiar with these, so your input will be greatly appreciated.

I'm a 28 yo single gay Asian male. I'll be working from home (less commute, yay!). Looking to rent. Would like to find something around $1,500. Considerations include:

1. Neighborhood has character. Residents are friendly, open minded, edgy/weird/different compared to the national average (I'm leaving the "national average" for a reason). Good sense of community (ppl know each other, local businesses, etc). Melting pot = great.
2. Relatively safe. I like harmless edgy too
3. Convenience - have fresh produce, restaurants, etc nearby (not big on shopping beyond necessities... yet)
4. Supports an active lifestyle. I like nature, greens, biking, jogging, walking, exercising in the park, etc.
5. Easy to get to SF by public transit
6. I won't be the only person below 30 there (not big on bars, but like chilling in general).

Based on the above criteria, how would you rate the following:

-Oakland - around Lake Merritt: Grand Lake, Cleveland Heights, Adams Point, Lakeside.
-Oakland - Rockridge
-Oakland - Piedmont Ave
-Alameda
-Walnut Creek

And taking other suggestions now!

Last edited by jupiler; 06-06-2012 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 PM

295 posts, read 461,455 times
I would suggest Adams point and like uptown or jack London. Jack London doesnt have a grocery store in the area but they do have a farmers market on Sundays at the square. Piedmont ave is also a very good choice.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
i'd probably skip walnut creek! boring. have you been there?

Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,683 times
Yeah, forget Walnut Creek.

Maybe consider South San Francisco? I've been visiting there lately and it seems cool. (I am sure someone will correct me if it's a bad idea. )

Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 PM

OK, I've scratched Walnut Creek off my list I'm sure someone who loves posh shopping will find it more useful than I.

I think what I'm looking for is something similar to Mission Dolores or Inner Sunset outside the city. I would live in those nabes in a heartbeat if the housing situation weren't so crazy. Well, I can always go on a monthly visit...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Alameda might be a little sleepy for you. Not much nightlife but pleasant. The Oakland areas are all really close to each other. They feel fairly similar, though Rockridge is a bit more upscale and has more houses. Adams Point and Cleveland Heights are denser. Cleveland Heights is a little further. It has a mini commercial strip, and then it is about a 10 minute walk to the Grand Lake area.

Grand Lake/Adams Point is the youngest area (mostly 20 and 30 somethings.)
Piedmont Ave has the biggest age mix. 20s up to retireds.

If you want more hipsters, than try Temescal.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
Maybe consider South San Francisco? I've been visiting there lately and it seems cool. (I am sure someone will correct me if it's a bad idea. )
Can you elaborate on your recommendation of SSF? From my quick research, ppl seem to rate it as industrial and boring.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 AM

506 posts, read 1,154,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiler View Post
Can you elaborate on your recommendation of SSF? From my quick research, ppl seem to rate it as industrial and boring.
Yeah, I don't know if I'm actually recommending it, just maybe suggesting to investigate further. And I'm not even that clear on my boundaries -- it's possible that San Bruno is the part I thought looked nice!

There's a nice walking trail along the BART line, and the hills are pretty, and I know there are paths along the ocean too. It's definitely easy to BART into SF. It seemed to superficially fit your list of criteria, but I really don't know how nice the individual neighborhoods are. My visits so far consist almost entirely of walking to/from an industrial park for training.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 PM

69 posts, read 159,306 times
I think the Rockridge area in Oakland would be really nice. There is a BART station there, so depending on how far away you live, it would be convenient to walk to BART and get to the city or elsewhere in the Bay Area. Lots of younger people there, and it's an artsy scene, what with California College of the Arts (where my sister went) nearby. It's a little on the higher end for rent and such, but crime seems pretty low and the streets are clean and have less homeless people than the other parts of Oakland. Lots of little restaurants, bars and shops and a good mix of people living in the area.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,149 times
I pass through South San Francisco and San Bruno regularly, and can't imagine you'd be happy in either place. (Unless there's an artsy corner of South San Fran or San Bruno that I haven't discovered.) Others here know the East Bay much better than me, but my guess is: the right neighborhood in Oakland, or maybe Berkeley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland