Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 AM

388 posts, read 1,017,139 times

Advertisements

Call this a wishlist.

1. More 24 hour business and restaurants (specifically the piers to stay open)
2. More Denny's, Ihop, and Innout somewhere in the city center (TL, SOMA, MARKET, UNION SQUARE, EMBARCADERO)
3. A theme park would be nice and with all the open space in this city im sure there would be room
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
ME mostly

Most of the things you want are available in Vallejo and would detract from San Francisco.
Who needs Chain "Resturants"

Old 06-11-2012, 08:05 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,283,984 times
1. A world-class newspaper
2. A mass transit system that covers the entire city (the Muni bus that averages 8 mph doesn't count)
3. A realistic plan to address the housing cost situation (yes there are proposals to develop the entire east side and TI, but those are not going anywhere fast)
4. Enough jobs in the city. Most people have to commute down to the Silicon Valley. I did that for 1.5 years, before deciding to move down here for convenience
5. Nice warm summers
6. A little less political extremism
7. An abundance of down to earth people
8. A real plan to address the homeless issues (similar to that of NYC)

Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Much of what might be missing in San Francisco is what makes it so special. I will agree, a first rate newspaper would be a plus. Heck, even here in NWAR we have a great one.

I don't think there would be any reason for IN&Out, Denny's or any other chain restaurant in or near the city center. Again, that would not be SanFrancisco

It would be nice to find a way to address the homeless situation, but this is a problem in most unban cities...

More jobs is a no brainer. It is too bad so many have to commute south and then there are those who live in the burbs and come to the city to work.

I have to say, though I would never live in San Francisco for many reasons, I think it is a great place to visit, just like it is.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:29 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Call this a wishlist.

1. More 24 hour business and restaurants (specifically the piers to stay open)
2. More Denny's, Ihop, and Innout somewhere in the city center (TL, SOMA, MARKET, UNION SQUARE, EMBARCADERO)
3. A theme park would be nice and with all the open space in this city im sure there would be room
There's already a Denny's near Union Square. it's literally a block from the Metreon.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:42 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,937 times
Vote for No. 2. Without it SF will never be a world class city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
2. A mass transit system that covers the entire city (the Muni bus that averages 8 mph doesn't count)
3. A realistic plan to address the housing cost situation (yes there are proposals to develop the entire east side and TI, but those are not going anywhere fast)
4. Enough jobs in the city. Most people have to commute down to the Silicon Valley. I did that for 1.5 years, before deciding to move down here for convenience
5. Nice warm summers

Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
If we are talking complete fantasy wishes here, mine would be:

1. An underground transport system such as the London tube or Paris Metro, to get transport off the streets. From an engineering point of view it should be possible. The London underground is Victorian - if they can do it, we can do it.
Britain and France also managed to recently collaborate on building the Channel Tunnel - a 30 mile long rail tunnel under the sea, connecting Britain and France, built in just 6 years. The engineering possibilities these days are all there for the taking.

2. Undergrounding all overhead cables and fixing the roads while you are at it.

3. Addressing the homelessness.

All of the above are possible, but not in the current economic climate I guess.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:43 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Clean the pee off Market St.

I mean, nearly 10 city blocks from Embarcadero, all the way to Civic Center? It smells like a giant rest room. God help you if there is a slight "rain", it makes everything frothy, and bubbly on the street.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
the bums is the only problem i have with the city if i'm being honest. and the open late/24 hour spots.
but the bums suck. wrangle them up and put them in labor camps

Old 06-11-2012, 12:05 PM

69 posts, read 159,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
5. Nice warm summers
Mass transit for sure! There are certain parts of the city that are really on reachable by car, unless you want to take BART into the city, then Muni, and spend somewhere near 2 hours getting there to avoid taking the car.

The thing that really bothers me about the city is the weather. It is always foggy and windy and cold, with the exception of a few days in the summer. That's part of the reason I am ready to get out of the state and go do grad school somewhere else. I miss the seasons and am ready again for hot summers and cold winters. I think last summer was particularly cold here in the Bay Area. I remember going to Stinson beach for my friend's birthday in August, and we all had to wear sweatshirts and jeans because it was so cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland