Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 11:19 PM

138 posts, read 428,406 times

Advertisements

I know this is like beating a dead horse. If someone could lead me to the thread that is already out there, please let me know.

I am planning on moving to SF for work and will be using my car to get around and may rarely use public transport if my car isn't going to be used given the nature of my work. I am looking at the pricing of a 1b/1b in SF and it's a bit sad. Is there an area within a comfortable 30 minute commute that will be closer to $900 a month but not in a dangerous or close to a dangerous area? Maybe I am asking for much, but some good advice would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:52 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
Where is the job in San Francisco? That is going to determine the length of the commute. If you work in downtown SF you will not want to drive because parking can easily be $30 a day, but you can take BART which is useful to take from the East Bay. If you work outside of SF then public transit will be really inconvenient if you don't live in SF, but driving will also be difficult depending on what bridges you have to cross. Under $1000 generally means you're living with roommates in SF or San Mateo County. East Bay is cheaper but you'd still probably only find studio apartments for under $1000, maybe some 1br's. Look in Oakland or maybe Walnut Creek if you can take BART.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,793 times
I think if you raise your budget by 100$ or 150$ you could find a studio or 1 bd in Concord or Pleasant Hill (there's BART stations in both towns). Otherwise, roommates are the way to go and you'd be able to live wherever you'd like.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:55 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,228,503 times
There are only a few that fit your criteria, but if you're ok with a studio in-law unit, check out the Richmond and Sunset District in SF (note: Richmond District in SF, NOT Richmond city outside of SF). If you don't know what I mean by in-law unit, let us know.

Outside of SF, your best bet is Adams' Point, Cleveland Heights, and anywhere north of 580 and east of 24 in Oakland. Those are the safe part of Oakland, btw.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland