U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM

735 posts, read 616,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rls929 View Post
I think it's crazy that someone can be making $200K a year and all they can afford is an apartment. San Francisco rents are insane!
Their inability to afford more than an apt is more of a reflection of low supply and very high prices on the buying side of things...and in a way, their inability to buy is partly why rents are so high. People that would normally buy, are forced to rent, and this raises the ceiling for everyone trying to rent.

Yes, rents are insane...but, the Bay Area real estate market is just asinine overall (both on the renting side and the buying side), and there are reasons it is this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM

24 posts, read 56,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
So glad I left. There's just no way living in some drafty mildewy shoebox in San Francisco is worth the prices that are being charged. Unless you work in tech in the Bay Area, I guarantee you that your wages are not going up anywhere at the same rate as these rental hikes, and you're lucky if you've gotten any kinds of raises or bonuses in the last 4 years. And if you do work in tech you're probably going to be out of work in a couple of years when the bubble bursts.

I found this recently, I dunno what year it's from but clearly high rents have been a concern in SF for quite a while.

where di you move too? just curious. agree once more, we rent in millbrae and our 1st place had mold and condensation on the bedroom wall. our 2nd place, mold. i think that the closer you are to the water...the more mold issues one has. renst are high. landlords want renteres insurance. rental insurance does not cover mold (most all) you have to pay extra. and if you file a claim for mold, goes on your record. next time you rent another moldy place in the bay, it makes you seem as you are out for claims. sucks big time.

yet the bay area is the place everyone wants to be at for work. or wishes they could buy a home in. well, most everyone =D.

Unread 01-23-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The reality is a rental is only worth what someone is willing to pay... no more and no less.

I personally have never been captivated by San Francisco and can go years without setting foot there... it does make for a lovely skyline, city lights view for those of us living in Oakland.

Baring some natural disaster or economic calamity... it would be unreasonable to think SF rents will fall... stabilize... sure, fall... no.

There is only so much of SF to go around and the city is bordered on 3 sides by water...
now that you mentioned natural disaster: i wonder what will happen when there is a big ol' earthquake in the bay area and surrounding areas gets all messed up with buildings falling and all (God, i hope this does not happen anytime soon, scary to think about it).

after the aftermath, how low do you htink the cost of living will go down?

Unread 01-23-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeau2 View Post
Children are given more stink eye in San Fran than anyone should have to endure. I well remember going into 5 star pizza, or whatever it is called.... on Fulton street to order a pie (to take home no less) and finally after my son and I got the message, namely that even ordering a pizza out from these gods of pizza.....because it meant my son crossed the threshold of the entrance was an affront....we simply walked away.
=D...those are just bitter people that are so bitter with their own life situation that they have to be rude to children and to those that have children. obviously, those bitter human beings were children once....and have forgotten what it is to be a child.

i don't live in the city but have read rude comments on SF Gate regarding children and parents. people are ignorant and have mental/emotional issues.

Unread 01-23-2013, 09:36 PM

846 posts, read 1,350,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancagt View Post
now that you mentioned natural disaster: i wonder what will happen when there is a big ol' earthquake in the bay area and surrounding areas gets all messed up with buildings falling and all (God, i hope this does not happen anytime soon, scary to think about it).

after the aftermath, how low do you htink the cost of living will go down?
I would imagine the opposite would happen after an earthquake, all the apartments that are not that safe, built on landfill, soft-story first level, brick building would likely collapse, and you would have all these people homeless living in hotels for a while, and then they would bid up the rents on the remaining apartments. I imagine there would be a lot more people with jobs and without homes than vice versa, most offices I've been in have been better built than most apartments I've been in. These people would probably want to get their lives back to normal as soon as possible, and rents would go up, when you cut out a big part of supply suddenly, when there is already a very low vacancy rates, I could imagine rents going up to crazy levels, think dot-com 1999/2000 era.

I really hope nothing happens anytime soon, there are a lot of old buildings that are very unsafe, much of the Marina district was built after the 1906 earthquake after filling wetlands with debris from the earthquake, and dredging mud and sand from the bottom of the Bay, the 1989 earthquake was centered between the South Bay and Santa Cruz but still caused a lot of damage there, if a major earthquake occurs near SF I don't know if most of the buildings there would survive the liquefaction and its effects.

Either way I would imagine the next 10 years after that people might not want to move to SF and rents would ease after the area is rebuilt.

An economic downturn would lead to rents going down too, I remember a friend of mine in SF mentioning about negotiating lower rent in 2009, I got offered lower rent that year too, but the job market was horrible back then, but the economy here recovered rather quickly and by late 2010 rents were going back up everywhere I know of, actually that trend started in Jan 2010, but it didn't spread everywhere until late 2010. It is usually demand that drives rents, unless supply were to drastically increase or decrease, but I don't know of anywhere in the Bay Area where a lot of building is going on.

Unread 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM

801 posts, read 1,204,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rls929 View Post
I think it's crazy that someone can be making $200K a year and all they can afford is an apartment. San Francisco rents are insane!
Well, I think that many people making $200K/year can afford a house in SF, but perhaps not in the neighborhood in which they want to live.

Unread 01-24-2013, 11:29 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,571,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
Well, I think that many people making $200K/year can afford a house in SF, but perhaps not in the neighborhood in which they want to live.
Most people making 200k wouldn't want to live in a filthy, run down, crime infested neighborhood and thats pretty much all you can buy in SF and much of bay area with 200k income.

Unread 02-11-2013, 06:09 AM

25 posts, read 11,728 times
renters from outside of SF are complaining now.

but do you know HOW DIFFICULT it was to hold onto a house in SF just several years ago?

in the bush era, i know people who rented their apartments/houses out and that barely covered their mortgage. because all of a sudden gas was close to $5 and you just lost your job.

a lot of middle class owners back then were just looking for nice, honest, hardworking folks who will pay their rent like clockwork for MORE than a year. they were grateful for anyone who seemed steady.
..............i knew a guy who couldnt rent out for 3 months. yikes...................
all these young rich single folks were leaving the city for the peninsula and east bay.
so what did you think these middle class homeowners did? or what other choices they had left?!?!
they cut corners and lowered the rents on the apartments. because it's better to make it and not have much $$ left for yourself and your family THAN to have a house/apartment sitting empty more than 2 months.
being middle-class and owning more than what you lived in was WORST than being the working class and renting.
it was REALLY bad back then.

back to the present......
guess what? in SF, you cant kick out people just cuz you want to hike up the rent. all you can do is raise the rent up by 2% every year. and that's complete bull because the market is so hot right now.
so right now, there are plenty of people renting with 2008 prices. these loyal folks stayed when it was tough-going and now they're staying cuz it's cheap. and man, are these places still CHEAP with those 2% yearly raises. CHEAPER than what most can get now.
what you're experiencing now is exactly what SF went through during the .com BOOOOOM and clinton era.

so dont complain. you can pay more for a place in SF or enjoy a one hour car ride (one-way) everyday.
i dont see you living in the ghettos anytime soon and the peninsula and the east bay are expensive.

my advice?
find a keeper and STAY for more than a year.

Last edited by BelieveIt; 02-11-2013 at 06:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland