U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2012, 06:04 PM
 
560 posts, read 420,483 times
Reputation: 828
Another thing...

If you do move 50-70 miles out of the city, be a part of that community, physically and mentally. I've seen so many people reluctantly move out of a desired area because of finances, kids, schools, etc. and they're never really happy...I saw it in the bay area and I've seen it on the east coast too. They're in denial and have convinced themselves that the distance isn't really that bad. After awhile reality sets in.

If you have the freedom to do so, doesn't it make more sense to find an area where you can really put down roots instead kidding yourself that you still live in S.F., Boston, etc.

Last edited by Radio Flyer; 06-19-2012 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 PM
 
10,010 posts, read 14,110,646 times
Reputation: 5992
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Really? LA? Boston? Neither of them have the similar high paying jobs. You have no clue you are talking about. LA has jobs that pay much lower than the bay area. I know, I went to school there. Yes, NYC has higher paying jobs and that's reflected in Manhattan rents. DC has high paying jobs and no, it doesn't have lower cost of living. I have lived in Silver Spring where rents were comparable to many peninsula towns. I think you need to get out of the "Bay Area Hate" bubble and re-evaluate your information.
For what it's worth, it's cheaper and easier to rent in Manhattan these days than in the city of SF. (I speak from recent personal experience). We're back in SF because of my husband's job, but we ended up living outside of the city itself -- couldn't find a place in our old neighborhood thanks to the crazy rental market. I like where we are and it's no hardship, but in NYC we were able to rent a decent 2-BR on a very convenient block in the East Village; fast-forward two months to SF, same salary, same budget, and there was no way we'd find anything in an equivalently convenient/fun neighborhood (and pickings were slim even in our preferred neighborhoods like the Richmond, which I think in NYC would be more like the equivalent of somewhere like Astoria but with higher rents), and when we DID find things to apply to, there were about 100 other people with the same or higher incomes and credit ratings putting in applications.

I love San Francisco, and am currently loving exploring the East Bay, and are here because it's where the job is, but the rental market is truly crazy. The salaries and rental housing prices are not in alignment in San Francisco these days. I remember seeing some recent reports showing that this was the most expensive rental market in the country (I think one compared median rental prices to median household income and compared cities in that way), and I believe it. There are many reasons to move here, but low cost of living is clearly not one of them. For most people, the higher wages aren't enough higher to compensate for the MUCH higher housing costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM
 
945 posts, read 1,186,580 times
Reputation: 565
if San francisco rents continue to increase a lot of peole will have to make some tough choices.continue to live in SF where the $65- $75,000 income gives them the same lifestyle as someone making $25-35,000 in another city.unable to afford a car, no international vacations ,having roomates ,no fine dining.
an urban upper middle class lifestyle so far away they can't even see it.
some peope will leave. others will adjust to having less discretionary money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 PM
 
13,505 posts, read 24,628,462 times
Reputation: 7789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Another thing...

If you do move 50-70 miles out of the city, be a part of that community, physically and mentally. I've seen so many people reluctantly move out of a desired area because of finances, kids, schools, etc. and they're never really happy...I saw it in the bay area and I've seen it on the east coast too. They're in denial and have convinced themselves that the distance isn't really that bad. After awhile reality sets in.

If you have the freedom to do so, doesn't it make more sense to find an area where you can really put down roots instead kidding yourself that you still live in S.F., Boston, etc.
My brother's neighbors met and married in San Francisco... after their child was born, they moved to a nice home/neighborhood in Pleasant Hill near BART.

He really liked living there and she deeply regretted it.

So, after a lot of upgrades to the home and her still wanting to be in SF... they sold at a loss and moved to a two bedroom in San Francisco...

The problem is she no longer likes SF... says it has changed and misses the home they sold 2 years ago in Pleasant Hill... most of her single friends married and left the city too... not to mention they are looking at another rent increase.

The problem is it would cost a lot more to buy their same house back... just a little over 2 years later because the area has had strong sales...

Sometimes... you really can't go back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 PM
 
413 posts, read 322,527 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
Actually he is right about DC and New York. Do a search for richest counties and you will see the list is dominated entirely by counties around DC (Northern VA and suburban MD) and NYC / NJ. Bay area isn't even in the top 15.

Http://money.msn.com/family-money/th...ies-in-america

Problem is the bay area has a lot of high earners and a huge underclass of people who can't afford anything approaching reasonable housing. I love the bay area but salaries alone do not come close to justifying the cost of living. There is something more systematic at work.
These studies on "richest counties" are deeply flawed because they are not scaled by population. Most of the 15 counties in this list do not even feature in the 100 most populous counties in the US.

List of the most populous counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take for example, the number 1 on that list - Loudon County in Virginia has a population of roughly 300k. Compare that to Santa Clara county with a population of ~ 2 million. If I carved out Atherton and made it county, it will also rank in the top 5. The fact that Santa Clara county with over 2 mn people still has a median household income of over $85K tells you all you need to know about rents in the Bay Are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 PM
 
1,527 posts, read 1,784,686 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
These studies on "richest counties" are deeply flawed because they are not scaled by population. Most of the 15 counties in this list do not even feature in the 100 most populous counties in the US.

List of the most populous counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take for example, the number 1 on that list - Loudon County in Virginia has a population of roughly 300k. Compare that to Santa Clara county with a population of ~ 2 million. If I carved out Atherton and made it county, it will also rank in the top 5. The fact that Santa Clara county with over 2 mn people still has a median household income of over $85K tells you all you need to know about rents in the Bay Are.
Are you really that illiterate? Why is the sample size i.e population important when you are comparing median income? I guess with this kind of math skill its no wonder you fail to realize that bay area is grossly overpriced with poor quality of life. Other than natural scenery name me one aspect in which bay area is ahead of DC area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 11:53 PM
 
1,527 posts, read 1,784,686 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
if San francisco rents continue to increase a lot of peole will have to make some tough choices.continue to live in SF where the $65- $75,000 income gives them the same lifestyle as someone making $25-35,000 in another city.unable to afford a car, no international vacations ,having roomates ,no fine dining.
an urban upper middle class lifestyle so far away they can't even see it.
some peope will leave. others will adjust to having less discretionary money.
In a normal functioning market driven economy this will trigger a building boom, increase supply and prices will be in control. SF has vast swaths of unused or underused land, very little high rise structures out of downtown and grossly inadequate road and public transit infrastructure to support growth. Yet nobody is building anything here.. CA in general and SF in particular have become dysfunctional! They are too busy patting each others back because a handful of the people make too much money and the rest live in depressing living environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 01:23 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,341 posts, read 6,159,819 times
Reputation: 4389
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
SF has vast swaths of unused or underused land.
Really? Where?

We still wonder why you (anybody, really) continue to live in SF if you hate it so much. It's been years of posts bemoaning the awfulness of the place, yet no move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 01:55 AM
 
120 posts, read 91,729 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x7er View Post
Ehh, roommate situation hasn't been the best. I posted a different thread about it, but I wasn't getting along with my roommate for a brief period so she was trying to force me out. We worked things out though, so I'm still there. Its amicable now but certainly not the most comfortable environment. I keep to my room and spend a lot of time out and about.

I should clarify though, I love it here and can't really complain, considering millions of others have it way worse than I do. Even if I get to live here only a couple more years, well, I'll take the experiences along with me the rest of my life.
I remember that thread. I'm glad it kinda worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 05:19 AM
 
120 posts, read 91,729 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sometimes... you really can't go back...
Truth be spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top