U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 AM

560 posts, read 420,483 times
^Yup.

After our sons were born, I wanted out of California. I was obsessive and my husband finally agreed. Well, we made a couple of mistakes in our (my) quest for perfection.

Our two biggest mistakes:

We bought a house we couldn't afford.
We chose a town based mainly on school test scores.

And I dismissed my inner voice on these "wants":

A walkable downtown.
proximity to the ocean.

What I've learned:

Getting in over your head financially will weigh on you like a ton of bricks. No amount of square footage is worth the distress.

Perfect schools often mean snooty, arrogant neighbors.

Summer means water/the beach to me. I can't help it. I can't change it.

I like rural, but not the boondocks.

We've finally found a nice town. The schools are very good, but not perfect and that's okay. Our neighbors are genuine. I wouldn't invite all of them over for dinner, but at least they're not snobs. We're 30minutes from a beautiful beach that my sons can't get enough of and our town offers everything we need. It's not huge, but it's walkable and cute.

I guess the moral of the story is to weigh everything and to be honest with yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 AM

54 posts, read 57,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Why does everyone always EXPECT that they can live in the City just because they WANT to?

Thing is...I would love to live in Paris--overlooking the Seine...I can't afford to. I'd also love to drive a Aston Martin...unfortunately I can't afford that either.

The City is crazy expensive--so what? It's been this way as long as I can remember at various times in history (but particularly when the technology industry is flourishing). An influx of thousands of similar people with the same expectations that they just wouldn't or couldn't live anywhere else is why rents are high and there's 50 people vying for the same small apartment. Stay where you are or move outside of the City if you think that you are more special, better qualified, or make more $$ than every other person coming in from out of town for work or because of some romantic 'dream' they've had since childhood.
Not sure if this comment was in response to what I said....but why all the hate? People across the country have had dreams of moving to California since the Gold Rush. The American and more specifically the Californian Dream is part of the very fabric of the state. Its what made California one of the most productive and desirable areas to live in the world. Go to California, a state of opportunity, start a new life....There's nothing wrong with having romantic dreams of living in a place like San Francisco. I'm not asking for any kind of handout and I don't think I have a right to live here.

I have a good education, a good job, I pay taxes, I'm the kind of person the City should embrace with open arms. Instead City Hall pursues policies like rent control, school busing, crazy restrictions/red tape surrounding new housing development, SRO's and coddling of homeless, etc...all which basically ensures that the middle class population will wither away (as is happening now).

And hey, that's fine. Like I said, I'll most likely move eventually as will most middle class working professionals. And I will have enjoyed my time here with no regrets. Despite what native Californians would have you believe, there's plenty of other desirable urban environments in this country. Its just a shame that in such a beautiful location, with such a great talent pool, the people in charge at City Hall can't figure out how to get the City to live up to its potential.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:19 AM

3,099 posts, read 4,368,840 times
I apologize if you think I'm full of hate, but what I wrote is absolutely true. I'm sorry if you or anyone else were offended, but it's tiresome to continuously read about upset newcomers that can't get their choice of location or price point with rentals. They move here then want to change it so it suits their dream of living here.

I was raised in San Francisco. I met my husband here, my children were born there, attended school there and my friends and relatives all still live there, my grandparents died there...It used to suck and honestly make me angry to feel squeezed out of my home by young rich techies and dual income wealthies.... so we moved to somewhere we could afford. A lot of locals did.

There's a lot of similar people that complain and say "it's not fair", I make more $$ or my job is there, or I'm gay,or I'm an artist or a chef, or have to live somewhere w/o a car or have to be in the City because I'm too special to be forced to live in the icky East Bay or the burbs, or Daly City, or the not hip part of the City, or wherever. Whaah, why don't landlords let my dogs and pets live with me--we have the extra $$ and it's not fair. Waah, the City should "embrace people like me". Give me a break.

I'm not gonna blame the City, or the Supervisors, or the housing bubble, or high rents, landlords or their not building enough housing for the masses for anyone else that desires to move here. You can look no further than all the other dreamers that you are competing with for housing. People move to San Francisco and suddenly expect City Hall to make it right for them and everyone else from out of town.

It does feel like some sort of expectation of entitlement. You say it's not, but you said it yourself--I am educated, pay taxes, good job... so what? You think this is unique? You can have all the dreams you want but you're competing with all the other dreamers. It's really that simple. I'm sorry again if this upsets you. Shoot, even Armistead Maupin's leaving ....and the days of Maryanne Singleton are long over

I'm not directing this to you, btw...it's just a general feeling I get from various upset posters about the housing situation and high cost of living. I can suggest that anyone that does really want to live in the City and not have to fight over overpriced apartments, come over when/if the mass layoffs occur and higher unemployment among tech workers is high. Tons of rentals then.

Last edited by clongirl; 06-20-2012 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-20-2012, 12:34 PM

clongirl, Its odd, you admit to being part of the middle-class group that is getting squeezed out of San Francisco, yet you criticize those that move here and suggest that perhaps we try to change the place to prevent that exact thing from happening. No one is trying to change anything that makes the City great. They (or I) are just suggesting we re-examine some of these silly policies that contribute to the extreme income inequality in San Francisco.

And no, I don't think I'm unique. I'm not special. That's my point. There's a ton of people just like me - middle class folks that might balance the city out a bit. People that could move here with families and contribute to the character and productivity of the city. But as it stands now, the middle class is fleeing, and the gates for middle class families from other areas to enter the city are effectively closed.

And what I hear from all the natives is, "The City was better back in the [insert decade here] when there were more families and a strong middle class." So again, what's so wrong with moving here and hoping things might change for the benefit of everybody?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:58 PM

404 posts, read 378,477 times
There is no going back to the affordable cheap rent days, San Francisco created the Rent Control Law to prevent rents from getting over inflated.But that law only covered buildings that were built before 1979. Any building built after 1979 was subject to market rate rents, so the land lords of apartment buildings were exempt from what they wanted to charge for their rentals.
One major problem was that the renters that lived in rent control apartments built before 1979, as soon as they would move out of their apartments the rent for that dwelling would also climb to market rate.But if you would stay at your same rental, your rent would increase every year at a fractional rate, say at about 1.6% or so. During the dot com era brought higher rents and cost of living to the whole Bay Area, but San Francisco was always the primary choice for new comers. The only thing that I did witness was that the Loma Prieta Earthquake of October 1989 did stall rent increases and created more of an exodus from San Francisco. There were apartments and houses for sale all over the place and thousands of people left the Bay Area creating a huge void for rentals. Today there are still many people that enjoy the benefits of rent control that is why many San Franciscans can afford to continue to live in the most exciting city in the United States. As for newcomers, you want to live in San Francisco, you best better have deep pockets.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM

7,341 posts, read 6,159,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x7er View Post

And what I hear from all the natives is, "The City was better back in the [insert decade here] when there were more families and a strong middle class." So again, what's so wrong with moving here and hoping things might change for the benefit of everybody?
Nothing wrong with hope, but the City has been turning into a yuppie L.A. for years now, a process that is rapidly accelerating of late. Can't be sustainable, but that's how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. In the meantime, many people will come out there or try to stay there pining for the good 'ol days, and eventually come to the realization that the City is changing from what once characterized it and made it a unique, highly sought-after destination. Not the Bohemian playground it once was.

People are going to places elsewhere in the Bay Area looking to rekindle what is being lost in SF.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if you or anyone else were offended, but it's tiresome to continuously read about upset newcomers that can't get their choice of location or price point with rentals
Ohh, and let me get this straight: You regularly browse a forum that specifically targets people looking to relocate, willingly click on a thread entitled "SF Rental Market is Insane," read through 5 pages of it, reply, then complain that you are tired of reading about people complaining about the rental market. Huh? That would like me telling my friends "I'm so damn sick of reading hundreds of pages of War and Peace for no reason whatsoever."

If every time you walked down the street, someone stopped you and forcibly held you down so they could relay their 20-minute rental market sob story, then yes, that'd be tiresome. But stop pretending like you're "so tired" of reading something that no one is forcing you to read.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM

650 posts, read 689,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
In the meantime, many people will come out there or try to stay there pining for the good 'ol days, and eventually come to the realization that the City is changing from what once characterized it and made it a unique, highly sought-after destination. .
No where stays the same. Places evolve over time, rather for better or worst is entirely subjective.

People change too. What they liked about a place in their youth, might be not appeal to them as they get older.

Expecting any place to be exactly as you like it (be it the rental price, the "type" of inhabitants, the weather, the job), is unrealistic. But if you do find it, good for you, enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x7er
Actually what you described is of "benefit" to YOU. Because that is what YOU want. It isn't what everybody want.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM

273 posts, read 231,040 times
OP here. My search continues. Visited a 3k/month 550 sq ft 1bd room near North Beach/Russian Hill. It was posted online at 10am. According to the landlord (when I visited 2 hours later at noon), he had gotten 40 phone calls about the place.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:04 PM

7,341 posts, read 6,159,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
OP here. My search continues. Visited a 3k/month 550 sq ft 1bd room near North Beach/Russian Hill. It was posted online at 10am. According to the landlord (when I visited 2 hours later at noon), he had gotten 40 phone calls about the place.
Of which, we could suspect about 35 or so would be along the lines of "Are you serious?", or "Are you high?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland