Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 01:47 AM

70 posts, read 375,200 times

Advertisements

I am going to San Francisco at the end of October to check out a possible move there and I will be staying in Marin. Which towns do you guys think are best for raising kids? Money isn't a problem for me so I can live in any of the towns. Any suggestions for me to check out? Only list so far is Mill Valley and Tiburon/Belvedere and maybe Ross. Any others? Looking for a place where my kids can go visit with other kids in the neighborhood after school and the weekends. Good restaurants are also a plus!

I will also check out San Francisco city. I posted another thread asking for advice about that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 02:01 AM

124 posts, read 733,993 times
You seem to have hit the big ones..I'd also try Sausalito.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
I live in Tiburon but there's not a lot of kids imo. Mainly wealthy empty nesters, athletes, artists and the like. Its gorgeous as hell though and I love it here.

Novato, Ive heard, has kids. LOL

Old 10-12-2007, 03:45 PM

10 posts, read 43,603 times
My son finally moved away at 19 but was chronically unhappy here (Mill Valley) in his adolescence due to fewer chances for exactly what you describe. Watch the demographics carefully. Marin is aging fast. Replacements include many unmarried singles and childless career people.
You didn't mention education. Private schools in the picture? If you wish to sample PUBLIC schools, that changes your possibilities considerably. Particularly at he HS level. Be vigilant about school district boundaries, etc.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 PM

37 posts, read 139,922 times
I don't think I'd wnat to raise kids in Marin, but if I had to maybe Fairfax? Seems the more down to earth of Marin towns.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:05 PM

605 posts, read 866,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun100 View Post
My son finally moved away at 19 but was chronically unhappy here (Mill Valley) in his adolescence due to fewer chances for exactly what you describe. Watch the demographics carefully. Marin is aging fast. Replacements include many unmarried singles and childless career people.
You didn't mention education. Private schools in the picture? If you wish to sample PUBLIC schools, that changes your possibilities considerably. Particularly at he HS level. Be vigilant about school district boundaries, etc.
I agree, my vote, Mill Valley, Ross, or Fairfax.
When you're there, check out Miller Ave. And Camino Alto area....2 schools, and very safe.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2011, 06:18 PM

5 posts, read 14,673 times
I'll make it easy for you. I too can afford to live in Tiburon, etc, however chooes not to because I have young kids and as stated above, empty nesters, arty folks and the like. Move to twin cities (Larkspur / Corte Madera) or Kenfield - Greebrae / Ross. Can't go wrong. Ross would be my last choice, as it is more estate homes on secluded acreage (not inviting to roaming kids). Folks will tell you Kentfield is a little more high profile that twin cities, but I wouldn't say that. I would definitely choose and have chose Larkspur / Corte Madera. These two townships have homes in the hills to compare with anything in the other communities maybe except for Tiburon or Ross. Take my advise - twin cities, you will thank me later once you become better familiar with the surrounding communities.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinite1959 View Post
I'll make it easy for you. I too can afford to live in Tiburon, etc, however chooes not to because I have young kids and as stated above, empty nesters, arty folks and the like. Move to twin cities (Larkspur / Corte Madera) or Kenfield - Greebrae / Ross. Can't go wrong. Ross would be my last choice, as it is more estate homes on secluded acreage (not inviting to roaming kids). Folks will tell you Kentfield is a little more high profile that twin cities, but I wouldn't say that. I would definitely choose and have chose Larkspur / Corte Madera. These two townships have homes in the hills to compare with anything in the other communities maybe except for Tiburon or Ross. Take my advise - twin cities, you will thank me later once you become better familiar with the surrounding communities.
you are aware this thread is 4 years old aren't you? I am sure the OP has moved by now.

Nita

Old 05-07-2011, 07:03 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Sausalito, Mill Valley, or Tiburon

add: aghhh lol i hate when people bring up old threads

Old 05-08-2011, 12:41 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobart View Post
I am going to San Francisco at the end of October to check out a possible move there and I will be staying in Marin. Which towns do you guys think are best for raising kids? Money isn't a problem for me so I can live in any of the towns. Any suggestions for me to check out? Only list so far is Mill Valley and Tiburon/Belvedere and maybe Ross. Any others? Looking for a place where my kids can go visit with other kids in the neighborhood after school and the weekends. Good restaurants are also a plus!

I will also check out San Francisco city. I posted another thread asking for advice about that.
San Anselmo, Larkspur, and Ross!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland