Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWANative View Post
I live in SF right now, this is probably one of the worst cities I've lived in. It's super super pretentious people will quiz you on what you do for a living and if it doesn't meet their standards they kinda blow you off, I moved from L.A. and I shall be moving back because in L.A. you can get twice as much space to live, be in a semi-nice and safe neighborhood and be around some really cool non-judgmental people who grew up in L.A. and still love it.

If you want to witness it firsthand try going to the Marina District, I think it's a lot like Scottsdale in Arizona.
Yes! They LOVE to quiz you what you do for a living... to judge you. "Do you work for Apple? My husband does" Got to love this one... I always make up something to shock them. Even tourists here are like that... I was staying in hostels in SF when I was between places and all these "Professional" tourists from Europe were asking me "what do you do for a living" as a first thing... Not to mention it's the first question when you're trying to rent something in Bay area. Always the same thing... So much idiotic judgement.
One doesn't have to go to Marina for that, it's all the way from Marina down to South Bay.
I actually was homeless for some time while I was working for a company in the area, because I do not wish to stay with people who ask "What do you do for a living?" as a first thing they want to know about you, and then, if you tell them your profession, continue to refer to you using your profession. "Hello. I'm calling you back, this is --Insert name--"
--"Or, this is you, the ---Insert profession---. Hi"

Last edited by alexxiz; 01-21-2012 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 PM

LOL, regarding them asking "What's your occupation?"... I recalled a song that starts with "My Occupation is to Wack the Nation"... this is what I'm going to say next time they ask....or "Corporate serf"... or my occupation is Occupy SF head police basher... done with these questions. Want to ask about income--that's cool, but don't ask "occupation". "Meth dealer"

Old 01-21-2012, 03:52 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
This is a diverse area; there are all kinds of people here. If you choose to hang out with or care about those who are pretentious, then that will be your reality of life here. If you choose to hang out with others, then your reality will be different. Choose wisely.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 AM

506 posts, read 1,154,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Yes! They LOVE to quiz you what you do for a living... to judge you. "Do you work for Apple? My husband does" Got to love this one... I always make up something to shock them. Even tourists here are like that... I was staying in hostels in SF when I was between places and all these "Professional" tourists from Europe were asking me "what do you do for a living" as a first thing... Not to mention it's the first question when you're trying to rent something in Bay area. Always the same thing... So much idiotic judgement.
One doesn't have to go to Marina for that, it's all the way from Marina down to South Bay.
I actually was homeless for some time while I was working for a company in the area, because I do not wish to stay with people who ask "What do you do for a living?" as a first thing they want to know about you, and then, if you tell them your profession, continue to refer to you using your profession. "Hello. I'm calling you back, this is --Insert name--"
--"Or, this is you, the ---Insert profession---. Hi"

I moved to SF 6 weeks ago. I've met probably a hundred new people since then. Not one of them asked my occupation.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post

I moved to SF 6 weeks ago. I've met probably a hundred new people since then. Not one of them asked my occupation.

I live in North Cal for many years. Sorry, you're in for some major discoveries in the future.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
I think the SF Bay Area attracts (and produces) the type of people who value substance, education, open-mindedness- considering the educational and economic powerhouses of the region as well as the region's history and reputation, and the people seem to value stuff like that more than how they look or other forms of materialsm... I think the people in the Southern part of CA, (and Dallas too, I have spent time there) are more likely to be flakey, frivolous and pretentious...

To me, when I head up there, it is refreshing encountering more decent, pleasant yet generally intelligent ppl.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:04 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
I live here, and I really don't have a problem with it any more or less than other large cities.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,115 times
My problem with the Bay Area was the bubble mentality. San Francisco is not utopia. It's a great city, but it's not the only place on earth.

Two things that really irked me...Calling the majority of the U.S "fly-over states" and people saying, "Sure I could buy a mansion in Texas for the price of a one bedroom condo here in S.F., but I'd have to live there!" tee-hee.

Also, I can't even tell you how many San Franciscans I met who had no idea where some of the other states are located, and they weren't even embarassed by this. They actually seemed to be proud. tee-hee.

Ummm, no thanks.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:02 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
My problem with the Bay Area was the bubble mentality. San Francisco is not utopia. It's a great city, but it's not the only place on earth.

Two things that really irked me...Calling the majority of the U.S "fly-over states" and people saying, "Sure I could buy a mansion in Texas for the price of a one bedroom condo here in S.F., but I'd have to live there!" tee-hee.

Also, I can't even tell you how many San Franciscans I met who had no idea where some of the other states are located, and they weren't even embarassed by this. They actually seemed to be proud. tee-hee.

Ummm, no thanks.

That's not an SF thing so much as a coastal US thing.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post

Ummm, no thanks.
This bothers me too (as I hail from a "fly-over state"...); but, I've unfortunately found this ignorance in many large U.S. cities, too (particularly on the coasts, with NYC and Boston being the worst offenders).

If you're going to claim you love a place, this is fine with me; but it does bother me when people make these claims at the expense of other places without actually having any basis on what those places are like (outside of the obvious stereotypes). This kind of ignorance is just as bad as the stereotyped ignorance for which these people are claiming to be so against. Kind of ironic.

That being said, I do really love it here, and it is my favorite area of the U.S. (and I have seen the rest of the U.S., so I can make a fair judgement).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland