U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 PM

560 posts, read 455,527 times

Advertisements

Got accepted at a couple art schools, chose Oakland because it was the furthest away from my boring ass hometown. That was my biggest criteria at 18 years of age.

After school I lived in Walnut Creek and then San Francisco. Had a blast in the city...ahem, maybe too much of a blast because my next stop was rehab in Marin. Although I didn't care for Marin, I met my husband there and rehab saved my life.

I'm back east again now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 PM

71 posts, read 52,709 times
Born and raised on the East Coast, I dreamed for years of living in California, but thought it would never happen. I first visited San Francisco in 1989, just a month before the quake, and returned to attend a conference in 2006. That's the trip that did it for me. Two years later, a job opened up in my profession, and I received an offer. Made the cross-country move in 2008 and never looked back. I love it here, and can't imagine ever leaving.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,752,927 times
Grew up in Sherman Oaks, thought I'd live in SoCal my whole life, except I got accepted to medical school in S.F. Found a girlfriend, who became my wife, we got married, rented in Rockridge for 5 years, and made a lot of friends. We had our first kid, and decided to escape the city and move into the country in Lafayette.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 PM

120 posts, read 99,205 times
OP here. If you have a story that didn't work out, please share also. We want to hear both sides.

Also if you're still in the dreaming stage, share your dream.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 PM

801 posts, read 1,369,535 times
Grew up in the Midwest, went to college there and to grad school in Colorado. Post grad school, I had a number of job opportunities on either coast. I chose the opportunity out here in Silicon Valley because it just felt right (plus the hiring manager and the team really made me feel that this was my next home) so I packed up and moved out here in early 2000. (Incidentally, I started two weeks before the Nasdaq peak so you can blame me for the dotcom bust )

My original plan was to work for a couple of years to build up some experience and move on to a new gig elsewhere in the Valley or move close to family in the Midwest. In the post dotcom-era, opportunities were limited, so two years turned into three, three into four, and so on, until I was developing a nice career at my company. Sometime around then, I met a wonderful girl in San Francisco and started dating. We got married a few years later and moved to the City.

Today, I'm married to the same wonderful young lady and have a little daughter. I'm still employer at the same company, though in a completely different role than when I first started (it's actually my third distinct role at the company). We live in San Francisco in the same place that we moved into a few years ago. The current plan is to stay put until the little one is of school age before deciding if we want to move out of the city and where to go next. We love living in San Francisco and the Bay Area, but we're both open to moving elsewhere if the situation works out.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:09 PM

229 posts, read 482,927 times
Real simple...............

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 06-21-2012, 04:37 PM

7,578 posts, read 6,635,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Real simple...............

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
That stuff that gets eaten up by the cost of living in the Bay Area.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:51 PM

242 posts, read 177,414 times
I grew up as a Dupont Brat, in the mid fifties we were sent to Concord, California. Aside from San Francisco and the wonderful food opportunities it provides, if you go north on the coast road you will eventually see the little sign pointing to "Muir Woods" I was about ten years old at the time, had my tonsils removed in Oakland, and I remembered the trees as being enormous. When I returned to the area in the late 70's after a stint working in Nigeria, for ITT Nigeria Ltd, telephone outside plant, I returned to Muir Woods, my thought process at the time was, "I remembered those trees as being so big because I was a small child when last I saw them." Being a child had nothing to do with it, those trees are just DAMNED HUGE!!!! The area remains as one of, if not the best, walking around area I have ever had the privilege to peruse.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM

54 posts, read 61,083 times
I had been living in my home-state for many years, went to both high school and college there, and always figured I'd stay there the rest of my life. Then all of a sudden my relationship with my longtime girlfriend fell apart (the girl I thought for sure I'd marry), and I found myself wondering why the hell I was still in the same town. I had nothing tying me down anymore - and in retrospect, I was definitely in a crisis mode period of my life. I had always had a dream of living in New York, just because I liked the idea of living in a dense, urban environment. At the time I had never been to San Francisco and really had little idea of what it offered. I figured it was just like LA but further north (how stupid of me, I know...). Shortly afterward I took a trip here, not because I was thinking of moving here but just to visit a few friends. At that point I fell in love with the place. I just remember thinking, "This place is like the perfect mix of urban density and natural beauty."

It took about a year of apply for jobs before I finally found one that worked. Packed up everything I wanted to take with in a car, gave away everything else I owned, and drove out here with a friend.

Best decision I might have ever made. I literally, have never, ever once felt homesick.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM

17,287 posts, read 11,923,200 times
I will share my parents story (I was born here).

After my parents got married, they lived in DC. My dad was finishing up college ans he had 2 job offers. One in White Plains NY, and one in San Jose. They said:
"Where should we live?"
"I always wanted to go to California, and we don't know anyone who lives there."
"All those westerns take place in the West, so we can see it."
"Ok let's move to California."

Later, many of my parent's siblings moved to CA as well, and they lived with in a few miles of us. My parents were running Hotel California, many members of the extended family would come and live for a few months (or years) with my parents before we were born, and shorter stints once we were born (weeks and months, not years ).

Later my family moved to the south to be closer to their parents, but it wasn't a great move for our family. We returned to the east bay, when I went to college (and my sibling was n high school still) to make money again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland