Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:24 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscore View Post
As for the people, yes, they're relatively driven and ambitious by California standards because they're mostly East coast transplants. But over time it changes.
That reason could be true, but I don't think it "changes over time", since it hasn't changed in the 25 years I've been here. I'm technically an East-coast transplant (born in D.C., parents are from Philly & Brooklyn), but my family moved here when I was only 6... and the overall attitude hasn't changed much, and neither have the people I know.

Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't find SF to your liking, but good luck wherever you go. Just keep in mind, there is no place that's perfect - otherwise we'd ALL live there, lol. And personally, I think your "negatives list" was short compared to those of other places, particularly Miami. Of course that's just MY opinion, so I can't say whether you'd be happier there or not.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:26 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
I agree with SF weather being awefull! I like San Jose weather better, its a lot more temperate and close to perfect in my opinion. You get some overcast in the morning, but it does burn off faster and it cools at night when its warm durring the day. That is one thing I miss is the mild summers.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 AM

146 posts, read 643,622 times
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think the weather is "great" or "nice" in SF. Pale people aside, wouldn't be nice to go out at night for dinner and be able to sit outside in like 75 degree weather? Is it too much to expect summer to be "warm" not 55 degrees? I don't think I'm in a minority here

Yes, I lived in Palo Alto, and weather here is great, but it's not a real city so I moved back to SF when my job contract expired.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 AM

374 posts, read 1,852,851 times
Quote:
28 yo single male. Been living here for 7.5 years (lived in Palo Alto, Hayward, Daly City, and then SF). Been living in NYC before that.

Let's see:
- People are overall flaky, too-too laid-back. My native Californian friendss like to say lets do this and then change their mind at the last minute. New York is not like that.

- Weather sucks. Year round 63-50 temps (except 3-5 days of 80+ weather for the whole year) Then there's fog, annoying winds, and the temps go even lower cause of windchill

- High housing costs. OK, I have a roommate so my rent is pretty affordable, but why would anyone buy a 550k 1bed 700sqft condo and then deal with all these crap above? You can buy a house for that money in Austin, TX or other decent parts of US.

There's more but this pretty much sums it up.
I will agree that people can be flaky and non-commital here (that drives me crazy). I feel like some of my friends won't make a concrete plan as if they are waiting for something better to come along. But, I think that's more of a personality thing rather than a SF thing.

I disagree about the weather. I hate the wind, and don't care much for the fog, but I would say it is warmer than 63 degrees for almost the entire year. Our lowest average high is 59 degrees (in January). You need to visit weather.com and look at the average/record high temperatures. It is almost NEVER below 55 for a day time high here, and is warmer than 63 most of the year.

You can buy a house for much less in other parts of the country, it's true, but for some of us (like me) - we'd rather rent the rest of our lives and live in SF than live any where else.

I will say, the things that annoys me most are:

1. The out of control people on BART and MUNI Metro that act like they've never been on public transport before. Why can't people step back and let people off the train? If you're standing by the doors, why can't you step out when people are trying to exit?

2. People who have no respect for the city. Just the other day, I saw a guy in the Mission throw a paper cup on the street, when there was a garbage bin literally two feet away. I wanted to go up to him and say, "Are you kidding me?", but I didn't want to get stabbed.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:17 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Nope. Not tired at all. Love it to pieces.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:26 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
- People are overall flaky, too-too laid-back. My native Californian friendss like to say lets do this and then change their mind at the last minute. New York is not like that.

- Weather sucks. Year round 63-50 temps (except 3-5 days of 80+ weather for the whole year) Then there's fog, annoying winds, and the temps go even lower cause of windchill

- High housing costs.
You think Miami solves these problems??? Why not go to a city like Charlotte instead of Miami?

Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 AM

It solves 2/3 (I also think flakiness aspect is improved as well)

Old 09-28-2007, 11:32 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Miami? Miami is the east coast version of LA. Talk about flakes and fakes. Also I hope you speak Spanish because Miami is basically a Latin American city. My mom is from there. The weather sucks. Humid and extremely hot. The nightlife is cool but that gets old fast. The people think they are famous like in LA and very stuck up. Good luck with that.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:21 PM

Good review. I'm Russian but fluent in Spanish and LOVE Latin America. So I actually look forward to speaking Spanish.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 25,974 times
Couldn't resist asking when you are moving out? Not that there's any dearth of folks wanting to move here

Quote:
Couldn't resist what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland