U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,218 times
Default Moving to SF from Australia

Hi guys,

This is another topic asking what is a good area to live in. I'm a 25 years old guy who's been living in Australia for the past 15 years. I recently got accepted to study in San Francisco, to be exact at Hult International Business School. My program will be one year. I'm relatively quiet guy, but like to hang out and have a couple of drinks; I also enjoy mountain biking, playing tennis and golf.

I don't know anything about SF, hey, I've never even been to the states before this. The campus is located over near Pioneer Park at Telegraph Hill, so anything nearby would be great. I'll be looking for a studio/one bedroom apartment and I don't mind taking public transport or even riding my bicycle to my campus if it's not too far. My budget would be nothing more than $1500/month for the apartment.

Any suggestions of a good area to live in?

Thanks

Last edited by gimp21; 07-10-2012 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 04:26 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,559,322 times
Well, Nob Hill or North Beach I guess to start with since they're nearby. Or you could live somewhere near the F-Market streetcar since it goes near the campus--somewhere like around Church Street and Market Street which is a pretty cool area, or Hayes Valley. Or could do Lower Pacific Heights and ride the #10 bus. $1500 for a studio in San Francisco won't be easy to find, you might want to live with roommates which would be a bit cheaper and it's a good way to meet people. (though it can be hit or miss in terms of the quality of roommates)

Old 07-11-2012, 08:22 AM

367 posts, read 403,450 times
i agree $1500 is going to be tough unless you are going to be living in the Outer Sunset or Outer Richmond,or wiith roommates..

Old 07-11-2012, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,218 times
How much is it roughly for a studio/one bedroom apartment around Nob Hill or North Beach? If I live in Outer Sunset or Outer Richmond, is it hard for transportation? and how long will it take from there to go to Telegraph Hill?

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 PM

367 posts, read 403,450 times
craigslist.com is your best source for rental prices in SF..

Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM

6,269 posts, read 4,811,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp21 View Post
Hi guys,

This is another topic asking what is a good area to live in. I'm a 25 years old guy who's been living in Australia for the past 15 years. I recently got accepted to study in San Francisco, to be exact at Hult International Business School. My program will be one year. I'm relatively quiet guy, but like to hang out and have a couple of drinks; I also enjoy mountain biking, playing tennis and golf.

I don't know anything about SF, hey, I've never even been to the states before this. The campus is located over near Pioneer Park at Telegraph Hill, so anything nearby would be great. I'll be looking for a studio/one bedroom apartment and I don't mind taking public transport or even riding my bicycle to my campus if it's not too far. My budget would be nothing more than $1500/month for the apartment.

Any suggestions of a good area to live in?

Thanks
I used to live in Gold Coast, QLD! Loved it! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in SF. Your best bet would be to rent a room in Telegraph Hill, North Beach or Nob Hill. You'll be able to find a nice place for $1500 or less if it's a shared apartment. It's also a good way to meet other people or have some people to hang out with until you make your own friends. Use craigslist to find them. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland