Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 04:30 AM
JF1 JF1 started this thread

3 posts, read 16,387 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I got a new job in the San Francisco city area, but I do not want to live there. I would like to live somewhere outside the city that is within an hour commute. What areas would you suggest? My budget for apartments is anywhere from $1200-$1500 but prefer to spend as little as possible on rent.

I read about Caltrain, and have considered using that as a form of transportation to and from work. How is that? It's better than driving to work, right? How bad is the commute? I currently live in LA and endured commutes from 1-1.5 hrs and I would prefer not to do that anymore, but it sounds like I might have to. Any insight will be very helpful. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
My first suggestion is Mountain View. It is a great town with an interesting little downtown area. You can take the Caltrain express train from Mountain View at 6:57 am and arrive at San Francisco at 7:42. This actually makes the commute from Mountain View a shorter time trip than closer places on the peninsula that do not have the express stop.

You can also live somewhere in East Bay and take the Bart train. The traffic is not nearly as bad as LA however the issue in San Francisco for commuters is where to park.

You could also have a much shorter commute by chosing somewhere like South San Francisco,it depends what you are looking for in the town you live in.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
I would rely on BART before Caltrain. It reaches the FiDi and travels much faster. Look somewhere in the East Bay.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:13 PM
JF1 JF1 started this thread

3 posts, read 16,387 times
The only reason why I don't want to live in San Francisco is because it seems like it's way too expensive. I have looked for apartments on craigslist, and they are easily $2500-$3000..... And if I were to bring my car up there, it would cost me an add'l $500 or so just to park it..... ouch.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1 View Post
The only reason why I don't want to live in San Francisco is because it seems like it's way too expensive. I have looked for apartments on craigslist, and they are easily $2500-$3000..... And if I were to bring my car up there, it would cost me an add'l $500 or so just to park it..... ouch.
What type of place are you looking for? Believe me, you don't need a car here. I LOVED getting rid of my car. It was such a hassle and even before I moved here I got rid of it. I love not having a car.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1 View Post
You can definitely find a cheaper place in SF, unless you're only looking in Nob Hill, Twin Peaks, etc. I live in the southeast part of town (near but not IN Bayview), and only pay $1300 - with parking! I have a roommate, though, so I'm not sure if you want that... but even without roomies, you can find something for less than $2000 in the right neighborhoods.

If you still want to live outside of SF, I'd suggest the East Bay or North Peninsula... the latter including towns like Oakland (certain parts), Berkeley, Hayward, Walnut Creek, Pleasanton, etc. On the north Peninsula, I'd suggest the western parts of Daly City & SSF, Pacifica, Brisbane, Burlingame, Millbrae, or San Mateo. Like another poster said, you'd be better off commuting by BART, which goes into the East Bay, and as far south as Millbrae... it's quicker than Caltrain, more reliable, and gets you to more places in SF. What part of the city will you be working in? Anyway, hope this helps!

P.S. I could give better suggestions if you give us an idea of what you like... climate, population, activities, demographics, etc.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:24 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Anywhere south of San Francisco, including Millbrae, Burlingame, San Mateo, Belmont and/or Foster City would be good places to live within a short distance of SF. Both BART and Caltrain connect in Millbrae at the same station and you could take either one into SF from there. caltrain.com - home and BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit District. The weather is also warmer down on the peninsula than in SF - less wind and fog.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:55 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
I personally prefer the weather more south of of the city than Millbrae, even there there is fog. For commuting into the city during commute hours Caltrain is faster than BART, from Millbrae BART would take 35-39 minutes, and Caltrain takes 17 to get to 4th and King, at which point you can walk to the financial district in 20 minutes since it is less than a mile, or take a Muni bus which can take an additional 17 minutes.

I would personally would prefer downtown San Mateo which has nicer weather and is a nicer neighborhood than Millbrae, and is also a Baby Bullet stop, the commute from there would be only 6 minutes longer.

In addition to bart.gov and caltrain.com I also use the websites: Bay Area Transit Maps, and HousingMaps, and rent.com, to find places near the BART and Caltrain stations in terms of commute time it is much shorter if you're walking distance you the stations. Parking at Caltrain cost $20/month, and will fill up before 8:30 at some stations along the peninsula, notably Mountain View, I think some have parking available all day long though. Most BART stations are still free to park, including Millbrae, regardless of whether you use BART or Caltrain, I don't know about when the parking fills up, I've heard of people complain before though, for BART. Daly City, and Colma charge for parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland