Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:27 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times

Advertisements

They had to drop the unit prices by nearly $100,000 in price to get them "almost" sold out in 4 years? That doesn't exactly give a good picture of high demand, especially for such a small development of 160 units.

Brand new town homes in desirable Bay Area neighborhoods go for almost TRIPLE that price.

Also $200,000 townhomes and lofts don't say "high income" to me, especially in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
I was looking into buying a loft in PCL, but when I went to visit in person the area still has many many years to come still and with the real estate market, I bet it will take even longer, maybe 10 years or more.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
They had to drop the unit prices by nearly $100,000 in price to get them "almost" sold out in 4 years? That doesn't exactly give a good picture of high demand, especially for such a small development of 160 units.

Brand new town homes in desirable Bay Area neighborhoods go for almost TRIPLE that price.

Also $200,000 townhomes and lofts don't say "high income" to me, especially in the Bay Area.
Actually, they dropped the price after they were 80 or 85% sold. In fact I was surprised to see that lower price. I was on the mailing list, and the last email i saw had the price at $250k or similar, and that was in the spring. They seem to be having a bit of trouble with the last 10 or 20 units, but it has been pretty sold for a while. I took a look about 18 months ago, and it was 70% sold, with the prices in the high $200s.

Some acquaintances live there: accountants and lawyers. The other people I met were in similar professional service jobs, they wanted to be closer to SF. Software developers, IT consultants etc. Not exactly "low income residents." They didn't want to spend half of their income on a mortgage and thought it was a good value.

Keep in mind, these are probably the worst newer condos in Oakland. Frankly, no one should buy them. The particular area they are in overlooks the freeway, is far from everything and surrounded by blight. You need to be committed to the 15 year plan to even thinking about living there. I was shocked to see it doing so well at any price. There are tons of better places with more amenities, better layouts and better locations at that price point.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
while sf rents are skyrocketing and west oakland is signifigantly cheaper it also in competition with other areas of oakland
like rockridge,uptown, temescal,old oakland and lakeside district all of which have BART access and
1)more ammenities (supermarkets, and/or restaurants etc)
2) fewer issues (blight, industrial pollution,housing projects,gangs)

in my opinion there are a lot better areas to consider

Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
in my opinion there are a lot better areas to consider
Which are more expensive. West Oakland, should one get a good deal on a place, would be a somewhat hopeful investment right now. Might pay off down the line, but the wait could be long.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Which are more expensive. West Oakland, should one get a good deal on a place, would be a somewhat hopeful investment right now. Might pay off down the line, but the wait could be long.
it sounds like we agree on the OP's question was " Is West Oakland gentrifying? "

not there yet or soon.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times
Yup. It's not, and won't be for a long time.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:52 PM

109 posts, read 300,044 times
As North Oakland continues to be hot and Uptown/Old Oakland and even areas of Pill Hill keep getting better/more interesting, it will keep spilling over to West Oakland. When you see hipsters in the numbers you do in West Oakland, I would say that gentrification, while perhaps not there like it is in Temescal or other areas of North Oakland, is close by. If you are interested in buying a home, there are some pretty good deals, if you are comfortable hearing the occasional gunshot or dealing with a broken window now and then. I have found living in a neighborhood such as this makes you rely on your neighbors a lot, but in the process, really get to know them.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlandbus View Post
As North Oakland continues to be hot and Uptown/Old Oakland and even areas of Pill Hill keep getting better/more interesting, it will keep spilling over to West Oakland. When you see hipsters in the numbers you do in West Oakland, I would say that gentrification, while perhaps not there like it is in Temescal or other areas of North Oakland, is close by. If you are interested in buying a home, there are some pretty good deals, if you are comfortable hearing the occasional gunshot or dealing with a broken window now and then. I have found living in a neighborhood such as this makes you rely on your neighbors a lot, but in the process, really get to know them.
i think we are not all agreeing on what gentrifying means.
is gentrifying a)when artists ,musicians hipsters (generally considered a cash poor population) start to move into an area?

or

b) when this area develops the cafes,restaurants, markets,boutiques and the like that make it more attractive to your more traditional renter ?

maybe a is present in west oakland but not b.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM

109 posts, read 300,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
i think we are not all agreeing on what gentrifying means.
is gentrifying a)when artists ,musicians hipsters (generally considered a cash poor population) start to move into an area?

or

b) when this area develops the cafes,restaurants, markets,boutiques and the like that make it more attractive to your more traditional renter ?

maybe a is present in west oakland but not b.
Option B is an established area. For instance, I would say Rockridge is beyond gentrified. Temescal is already past gentrification... just barely. Uptown may be in the gentrification phase. West Oakland isn't there yet, but in time, it will be.

For instance, where I lived in Denver prior to moving to Oakland was starting to gentrify as I moved in. It is still gentrifying, but now moreso that restauratns and shops are starting to appear. I would say your point A leads to gentrification, and point B follows. In which case, West Oakland is on the up and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland