U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM

11,855 posts, read 9,465,703 times
Well, my girlfriend and I broke up a while ago. Now having been single in the Bay Area for a little while now, I can say the dating dynamic is quite different here. I'm not going to go into detail as I don't want the MOD CUT that will come with that. Let's just say that for all my complaints I had about San Diego, dating seemed easier. Perhaps it was the large number of LA women, I don't know.

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-31-2013 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 PM

972 posts, read 546,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post
There are more desperate wannabe actresses and models in LA, if that makes a difference?
Small segment of that in LA, it's not as pervasive as people like to think. I also find that there's a certain type that do the whole fake boobs and etc., thing. They are usually 30+ and get a lot of botox and have had their face cut up (surgery). Generally, other than dressing nice, I don't think LA is really as fake and etc., as people make it out to be. People overplay the who dressing up thing in LA, yeah people do it but it's a cosmo city, nothing wrong with it. Also, LA is also known for people being really casual and flip-flops and shorts too. Go to NYC or Paris and you'll see people with some fashion swag there too. Nothing wrong with that. People like to make it seem like people in LA judge you by material things and etc., but generally the guy in the Porsche doesn't dress all that different from the guy in the Honda (generally).

Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 PM

2,006 posts, read 2,177,519 times
I think SF woman look better than LA woman. I can't comment on the friendliness factor though. My stays in SF have are usually for only a week so I've never dated there, whereas I've lived in LA and dated there.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM

25 posts, read 13,086 times
Are you sure that woman you're talking to is from San Francisco at all? What about SF Bay Area? What about borderline SF Bay Area for the folks that didn't look at a map? Are they NorCal?

Because when someone asks you what neighborhood you're from, they probably know it's a temporary rent thing for a year or two. Who cares where you live? If these women make a face, just ditch em. If they look all interested/curious, then talk. Maybe they want to know more or move there. OR they want to know where you're from before moving to SF.
It's pretty much the same with school. How did you get from PointA to PointB? Like was it a job offer or was it 100% your choice/dream to move here?
Once again, i get that people can be snobs, but are YOU jumping to conclusions?

And as a SF native, I just thought these wouldve been the kind of answers/reactions you might've gotten:
ON NEIGHBORHOOD: yeah? is this temporary or...? are you from around here or....?
and the transplant would follow with the answers.
ON COLLEGE:OR the native would start out with SCHOOL. but they really don't care about which prestigious college you went to. you tell the college and then you'll get a blank look. because what they were asking for was the high school. and that's how they know you weren't born/raised here. because you just answered a question that they werent even asking. and now you're probably giving them that pissed off look because you think that they think less of you for your college.

If you don't let people know that you're not a native or a longterm transplant or plan-to-stay-forever, then YES, neighborhood IS important. But that's not the case here. You're most likely a transplant. Most SF natives don't give a damn what neighborhood you're renting for this year or the next. These places were a lot different 10, 20 years ago. examples? castro. bernal heights. mission. some of them you won't even recognize today. the hippies/transplants care more because its like a niche/personality/clique thing. I don't get why. rent is so expensive. the old-timers cared because neighborhood meant lifestyle/culture/language back then, not some hipster-artsy-whatever crap. yuppies will come and go, and these neighborhoods become gentrified and then wilt back to their original states. or they dont change much during. it doesn't matter. if you don't tell them that no, youre not a native, then they'll start talking and talking and finding ways to connect your people and her people....blahblahblah....

I'm saying this, because I've made the same assumptions too. people think im looking down on them when im actually irritated at you for saying "Yeah, I'm from around here" when you're not. Or just not being honest after i figure out that you have no idea what im saying. and on top of all this, you're looking at me all annoyed and pissed off AND I don't know why. when this first happened, i had no idea why friends/guys were annoyed when i have more reason to be. but i got it after a while and i explain myself. and i dont bother with the questions anymore unless people start it. and you know what the funny thing is? most of my aquaintances ended up being SF natives. not because of the questions (i didnt use the q's on them) but because we had other bay area interests/hobbies.

It's a lot of misunderstanding and whatnot.

and maybe you were a bit too defensive. were you jumping to conclusions?
then why don't you save yourself a whole bunch of stress! tell people straight up where you're from and that you're renting (dont say living) at ___ neighborhood. ask them questions if they give you strange reactions. maybe you're not reading them right or they're not reading you right.
find out what kind of person you're talking to. a SF native, a BayArea native, a NorCal, a SoCal, an out-of-state, and so on. because maybe you know more about SF and neighborhoods than her.
besides, it sounds like some of you are trying to date a list or ended up questioned like you're going to be someone's sperm donor. good grief. it sounds painful, but there are stuck-up, insensitives asses everywhere.
so just get to know someone. don't ask about milestone-like accomplishments. don't go into details about their first 22 years of life. it might work, but more often not, it won't. hobbies and interests glue.

Last edited by BelieveIt; 02-11-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 AM

102 posts, read 121,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
I recently went down to L.A. And immediately noticed how much nicer the women are compared to S.F. and the general bay area. They are also far more attractive on average. It doesn't make any sense, shouldn't it be the other way around?

I then noticed a yelp thread talking about pretty much the same thing.

Reasons why you have LA | San Francisco | Yelp

Just an observation.
Hmm...

THE WOMEN OF LA with DJ Lubel, Pauly Shore, Jaleel White, Dennis Haskins - YouTube

I think the whole 'Left Coast' is a bust for dudes.

Obviously, the saying 'Go West young man!' applied to gold, money, and job opportunities but me thinks not women

Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 AM

336 posts, read 287,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I have to agree with some of the posters here on this board that many women in the Bay Area tend to be unfriendly. Actually, it's not necessarily unfriendly but more of a pretentious/aloof/size everybody up type of vibe. There ARE plenty of women who are nice and aren't like this, but I have found that quite a few Bay Area girls think their s**t doesn't stink. These are women who in many parts of the country (even other parts of CA) would maybe be a 6 or a 7, but they think they are a 10+.
qft. Seen it in Man Jose. Even did a late night experiment once by strictly messaging some 0-5's on a free online dating site (lol) and engaging in light chit chat through messages. The ego's some of these women have is incredible! Really opened my eyes to how bad it is in the South Bay and confirmed my beliefs. So you're exactly right. I was quickly off that site as it took very little time to spam every "hot" (which is really average at best in places like AZ....) girl with a generic copy paste message. Plus I wasn't willing to sacrifice my dignity; as hardly any were cute enough to approach irl so why boost their ego's even more.

San Jose is as bad as it gets. But not really attitude, more just unfriendly and unapproachable. SF is a tad better when I've been up there but still pretty unattractive plus an even more pseudo intellectual vibe.

LA is 180 degree turn. The suns brighter, people seem in general happier and just more outgoing in general. So yeah it's a no-brainer to me.

Last edited by Billy Millennium; 02-14-2013 at 04:23 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 04:14 AM

9,324 posts, read 7,577,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well, my girlfriend and I broke up a while ago. Now having been single in the Bay Area for a little while now, I can say the dating dynamic is quite different here. I'm not going to go into detail as I don't want the MOD CUT that will come with that. Let's just say that for all my complaints I had about San Diego, dating seemed easier. Perhaps it was the large number of LA women, I don't know.
San Francisco women are unhappy because dammit, there's injustice somewhere in the world, and we have no right to have fun until there's no more injustice!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:35 PM

25 posts, read 17,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
qft. Seen it in Man Jose. Even did a late night experiment once by strictly messaging some 0-5's on a free online dating site (lol) and engaging in light chit chat through messages. The ego's some of these women have is incredible! Really opened my eyes to how bad it is in the South Bay and confirmed my beliefs. So you're exactly right. I was quickly off that site as it took very little time to spam every "hot" (which is really average at best in places like AZ....) girl with a generic copy paste message. Plus I wasn't willing to sacrifice my dignity; as hardly any were cute enough to approach irl so why boost their ego's even more.

San Jose is as bad as it gets. But not really attitude, more just unfriendly and unapproachable. SF is a tad better when I've been up there but still pretty unattractive plus an even more pseudo intellectual vibe.

LA is 180 degree turn. The suns brighter, people seem in general happier and just more outgoing in general. So yeah it's a no-brainer to me.
I moved to SF only 2 weeks ago after living in LA for 25 years and I think people up here are actually nicer and more friendly on an everyday basis, and more well socialized. I also think we need to clarify what part of LA you are talking about too because it seems like LA actually means West LA on these forums.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:50 PM

28,702 posts, read 14,481,612 times
I can't help wondering why some of the guys who post here aren't able to find all the friendly women in the Bay Area.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:39 PM

29 posts, read 22,887 times
I think it's the cold weather...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland