U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:29 PM

10,257 posts, read 13,412,655 times
I think the Bay Area being so educated and wealthy just tends to have a fair amount of unpleasant, arrogant types in general who think they're god's gift to earth. I have a feeling that's probably the case in any area (large or small) with a high concentration of educated and wealthy types.

Total generalization of course but I find people in the East Bay more down to earth overall. SF is just in it's own world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 06:00 PM

224 posts, read 209,843 times
I think this thread is amusing. There are superficial, rude, unfriendly women (and men) everywhere. I've lived extensively in both the Bay Area and LA and have found arrogant types in both places. I have also found very educated types in both places and fools in both places. That said, my observation? I have found people in SF to be more arrogant, by a mile, than the majority of people I met over the years in LA (and I knew quite a few people within the entertainment industry too). People in SF are stuffy and are rather impressed with themselves and they spend silly amounts of energy trying to live up to the image that is: "We in SF are smarter, classier, more worldly, and plainly just better than you." I knew many VERY educated, HIGHLY intelligent and successful people in LA and they never came across as stuffy or arrogant. When comparing how I spent my social life in LA (where we went, what we did, how we dressed, etc etc) with how I spend time with friends in SF today, it's evident to me (at least within the circles in which I run) that SF is more concerned with image and "what's classy" and what appears to be "better" than all else. Now, there were certainly arrogant types in LA, but I have yet to come across down-to-earth folks in SF who won't shove education background, politics, or the like down your throat when you're socializing with them. Maybe it's the weather? Down south we could spend pretty much all 12 months of the year by the beach, wearing flip-flops, doing outdoorsy things. Spend enough time outdoors and you can't help but lighten up. I live in the Bay Area and can see the good in this place. But as for the people (women AND men) in SF... wow they are overly impressed with themselves.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:12 PM

17,070 posts, read 11,248,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalinnorcal View Post
When comparing how I spent my social life in LA (where we went, what we did, how we dressed, etc etc) with how I spend time with friends in SF today, it's evident to me (at least within the circles in which I run) that SF is more concerned with image and "what's classy" and what appears to be "better" than all else. Now, there were certainly arrogant types in LA, but I have yet to come across down-to-earth folks in SF who won't shove education background, politics, or the like down your throat when you're socializing with them. I live in the Bay Area and can see the good in this place. But as for the people (women AND men) in SF... wow they are overly impressed with themselves.
I think, to overly generalize, people in LA are more likely to put more effort in their appearance, and that is their social currency. In the Bay Area the social currency is more like education, having the "right" political beliefs, having the "right" feelings about social and environmental issues, and working in the "right" industries.

Different vibe, that is largely based on the different employment sectors (and the people that are drawn to those sort of jobs).

Old 07-21-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think, to overly generalize, people in LA are more likely to put more effort in their appearance, and that is their social currency. In the Bay Area the social currency is more like education, having the "right" political beliefs, having the "right" feelings about social and environmental issues, and working in the "right" industries.

Different vibe, that is largely based on the different employment sectors (and the people that are drawn to those sort of jobs).
Just for argument sake, let's say you're right. And assuming you're right, I rest my case. Arrogance. People in SF spend silly amounts of energy trying to come off as if they are better than those around them by putting themselves on a pedestal proclaiming to the world they are more cultured, educated, have access to finer things in life, etc. Now, to be fair, I also think it's a waste of energy to focus unusual amounts of energy on your physical appearance, but is this about clothes or being physically fit or a plastic surgery issue....? If it's about working out and wanting to look your best, I could speak of worse evils (see above). Can't stand the plastic surgery craze so that's lame. Spending money you may or may not have on your clothing so you're keeping up with the hip trends? Lame as well, but it's seldom done to be used as a "one-up" tactic during social events, unlike (see above).

If you're right, that this is really THE difference between women in this two regions, then I still choose LA. Quite frankly, I'd rather sit across the table from women whose priority is wanting to look their best (even if it can appear over the top) than women who have their nose stuck so high up in the air that they aren't even able to make eye contact with you. I find people (women AND men) in SF so consumed with the "right" place to vacation and the "right" wine and the "right" restaurant and the "right" degree and the "right" place to work and the "right" career that they are incapable of exhaling and relaxing and just being "chill" for the sake of everyone's comfort during the evening. I mean, enough! The level to which these people are impressed with themselves is just suffocating sometimes. People in LA are less anal and would rather focus on having fun and being less rigid about the "appropriate ways" to do things. It's refreshing-- botox and all

Let's be clear... I am not here to say that LA is not without its rude people and its arrogant types. Generally-speaking though there is a vibe in SF and an image that its residents seem to feel they need to uphold and that is that JUST BECAUSE you live in SF you *must* be on the cutting edge of all that is chic, classy, upscale, and the BEST. SF is a city that has a lot to be proud of and there's a reason why many consider it to be their favorite place to visit. But, get to know its residents and to anyone with a down to earth bone in their body, it can be too much. LA actually does not take itself nearly as seriously. An outsider might not realize that, but live there for a few years and you'll find FAR more grounded people who are simply out to live life in a fun and carefree manner. I'll take it! Reeee-lax.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:58 AM

jade408-- I do agree w/ you re: how the two areas are different. More to it, IMO, but generally speaking I think you're right.

Last edited by socalinnorcal; 07-21-2012 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 09:08 AM

560 posts, read 433,742 times
Along the same lines and perhaps representative of the whole SF vs LA attitude...The Giants/Dodgers "rivalry".

From what I understand, this is more of a rivalry for Giants fans than Dodger fans. Many San Franciscans feel a need to be better than, whereas southern Californians could give a rat's a** about northern Ca. Sure, they'll battle if provoked, but generally they find their pesky neighbors to the north rather irritating.

They seem to have a "Whatever, dude." attitude. I find it all quite comical.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:11 AM

750 posts, read 338,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Facts View Post
Yeah you're exactly right because all people who live in San Francisco are FROM SF. There are absolutely NO LA women here. Everybody here is a native. Every single female, and there are NO SF women in LA. NONE all from LA.
I've learned pretty quickly that sarcasm is completely lost on this group. Stout effort, but your readership, as a whole, is simply not up to the task at hand.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Along the same lines and perhaps representative of the whole SF vs LA attitude...The Giants/Dodgers "rivalry".

From what I understand, this is more of a rivalry for Giants fans than Dodger fans. Many San Franciscans feel a need to be better than, whereas southern Californians could give a rat's a** about northern Ca. Sure, they'll battle if provoked, but generally they find their pesky neighbors to the north rather irritating.

Totally.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 AM
rah

3,101 posts, read 5,064,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Many San Franciscans feel a need to be better than, whereas southern Californians could give a rat's a** about northern Ca. Sure, they'll battle if provoked, but generally they find their pesky neighbors to the north rather irritating.

Most San Franciscans could care less about LA.

This thread is full of stupid generalizations.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:43 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,770,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Most San Franciscans could care less about LA..
This is your English teacher speaking. They couldn't care less. If they could that would mean they do care to some degree. Why not just say "Most San Franciscans don't care about L.A."?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland