U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2012, 06:37 PM
rah

3,086 posts, read 4,801,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
This is your English teacher speaking. They couldn't care less. If they could that would mean they do care to some degree. Why not just say "Most San Franciscans don't care about L.A."?
It's a figure of speech, english teacher.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 07:56 PM

71 posts, read 52,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
It's a figure of speech, english teacher.
No, it's not.

The unbutchered version is, though. Which means the exact opposite of what you said.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:16 PM

536 posts, read 384,905 times

Hmmmm...Maybe Rah actually meant what she said. She could care less, which implies that she at least cares some to begin with.

She should have just agreed with us in the first place. Sheesh.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 PM

7,228 posts, read 5,732,413 times
Quote:
This is your English teacher speaking. They couldn't care less. If they could that would mean they do care to some degree. Why not just say "Most San Franciscans don't care about L.A."?
Eek! It's that SF intellectual-type stuff rearing it's ugly upturned head! Can't we all just be dumb, like plastic surgery disaster L.A. Barbies?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 PM

71 posts, read 52,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post

Hmmmm...Maybe Rah actually meant what she said. She could care less, which implies that she at least cares some to begin with.

She should have just agreed with us in the first place. Sheesh.

That's possible. In that case, it is absolutely not a figure of speech. Not the way the phrase is intended.

Just saying...

Old 07-21-2012, 09:10 PM

536 posts, read 384,905 times
True!

She's more confused than I thought.

Good thing we're here to straighten her out.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 PM

366 posts, read 250,094 times
Quote:
Exactly. Or to put it another way, couldn't care less means that they are at the maximum level of indifference possible, which is the point the OP was intending to make.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:00 PM

1,359 posts, read 866,504 times
I don't generally like threads that discuss generalizations about large groups of people, but I think there is *some* justification for the idea that Bay Area women are high achievers whose expectations for men are unrealistic.

Somehow, "I could care less" has become an ironic synonym for the straightforward "I couldn't care less." I prefer the straightforward expression.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM

151 posts, read 166,917 times
sf has no women! there's men dressed up like women, if you consider that women? i don't! and the small minority there that actually aren't cross-dressers,like actual women,they makeup less than 1% of the population. the men-women ratio in san francisco is 100,000 to 1. it's the highest male ratio in the world. sf is not good for single,hetero men.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM

390 posts, read 804,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, women in the Bay Area tend to be better educated, make more money and are probably less inclined to give losers the time of day.

Just saying....
Your so way off man. Ive lived in the East Coast and So. Cal and the women in both places are more down to earth and friendly, and actually have way better conversation. The SF women are really stand offish, and very much into their lil cliques. After living in the East Coast, I've realized SF women are pretty much a joke to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland