Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:43 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
Two words: Vote Republican
And then what? Build more prisons and load 'em full of homeless and street people? Like concentration camps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:24 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Why is US in general, SF included, is so averse to the idea of public tiolets? Any city with too much density and pedrstrian traffic needs public toilets because people need to relieve themselves. Why is it such aproblem to have public toilet in Muni or BART stations? This exists in every civilized country but somehow people in US is opposed to this very practical idea. If you don't invest in public infrastructure then this is what you get.. Filthy public places! Blaming the homeless people, who have no where else to go, for this mess is beyond pathetic!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
Too many homeless people are trying to guilt trip the SF citizen into giving them money and food. I used to be more "compassionate" toward the homeless. Now I know better than to enable their lifestyle. It is time we take back our city into the rightful hands.
And you expect the homeless to hold it forever or what? Just build more public toilets! Simple...

Old 07-28-2012, 12:33 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Speaking of Civic Center, I made the mistake once of taking the elevator. The escalator was broken and I had three boxes of documents that I didn't want to lug up the stairs. Walked in, the doors shut, then the smell of urine and ammonia hit me. Damn near passed out from the smell and heat. Didn't help that I was trying to hold my breath during the three hours it takes a BART elevator to go up one floor.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Why is US in general, SF included, is so averse to the idea of public tiolets? Any city with too much density and pedrstrian traffic needs public toilets because people need to relieve themselves. Why is it such aproblem to have public toilet in Muni or BART stations? This exists in every civilized country but somehow people in US is opposed to this very practical idea. If you don't invest in public infrastructure then this is what you get.. Filthy public places! Blaming the homeless people, who have no where else to go, for this mess is beyond pathetic!
Hey, we agree on something! Shock and Awe!

Seems all people, including the precious shoppers and tourists spending their money in SF, eventually need to attend to the same things the homeless do.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:13 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
Two words: Vote Republican
FYI--it was a Republican (Reagan) that systematically closed down mental health facilities/and hospitals in California and stopped funding community health programs. Crime amongst this group went up and these folks were detained in the criminal justice system rather than the mental health system. They were basically left to their own devices unless the patient had private health insurance and a guardian/family member to commit them.

You seem to have things backwards.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:20 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The even more liberal & progressive city of Portland took pretty much the same steps described, with wide success (at least at the time this article was written):
S.F. leaders hear about Portland's approach to homelessness - SFGate
FWIW, the state of Oregon overturned that ordinance, and when I was shopping around for cities (2009-2011) Portland's homeless issue was MUCH worse than San Francisco's. The parks downtown were full of people passed out after their heroin dose, exiting the MAX meant a gauntlet of aggressive beggars, and people were lounging all over the sidewalks hollering at and mocking passersby.

San Francisco has a sit/lie ordinance, right? I think it's only enforced in select areas.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Time for a community mulch pit. A win-win!
A good step..

A better solution is get the EPA involved,,,or better yet the CDC. Surely it must be a breeding pit for new diseases. I would love to see environmental scietists run to the area to discover new species.

The Army might find some new biological weapons. If i was a conspiracy buff, i might wonder if this wasn't a government program to see how far the human body can be stressed.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Really SF's not that bad though compared to some cities. Worst I've seen is in Atlanta, where in the downtown areas there's a homeless guy lounging around on the sidewalk every 5 feet, and in parks there's like 100 homeless guys lying around hanging out together. In SF except in the Tenderloin they tend to spread out more, you'll see one guy every few blocks in downtown or on Market, but you don't see huge crowds of them hanging out together. Once though I stupidly went to look at a studio around the corner from the Hilton near Union Square, and on the apartment's block there were like 50 homeless guys lounging around on the sidewalk...my guess is there was a soup kitchen nearby. I did not take that apartment. Never seen it that bad anywhere else in SF, and it reminded me that honestly most of SF is not that bad. What gets to you though is that homeless people in SF are usually really crazy, and really dirty and smelly, and dealing with one in a crowded bus is way more traumatic than seeing 100 guys lying around in a park who aren't bothering you.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:15 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
The problem is that public toilets -- especially in the Civic Center area -- will inevitably become places for junkies to shoot up and/or have sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland