Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 09:01 PM

494 posts, read 1,909,710 times

Advertisements

I am driving up from LA for labor day weekend, I would be hanging out in downtown SF late night for 1 of the days (probably 1am or so) and would like to know the best strategy in terms of accommodation pricewise. Is it better to just drive to downtown and park in a lot there? How much is parking in downtown SF? Until what time does BART run? Which is the most economical place to stay closest to downtown? I am looking for an economy joint and to spend less than $100/night if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:20 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,106,729 times
There are a lot of clean motels along Lombard and Van Ness, at the base of Russian Hill and The Marina. I think you can probably find one that fits your bill. They will have parking available and are close to bus lines that can take you up to Polk or into Lower Haight easily. BART will not serve you very well for hopping around Downtown. It can get you from there into the Mission, though, if that's what you need. Ride MUNI instead (runs 24 hours) and have fun along Polk, Lower Haight, Marina, Filmore, Western Addition, North Beach, etc.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,028,685 times
A) there are a lot of hotels near downtown, mainly in the Union Square area, but most of them are quite expensive, probably more like $200 and up. They would be more convenient for you but you're paying for the location. There are some cheaper ones here and there that have communal bathrooms that might be less, like the Edwardian near Hayes Valley. Other than that definitely look at the ones on Lombard but they aren't really convenient to downtown. There are cheap hotels by the airport, like $60 a night for rooms that would be $200 in Union Square, but that's not convenient at all.
B) Parking is expensive in downtown SF, it's not like LA where there's a ton of lots that are moderately priced. Expect to pay $20 for a few hours and $30 to $50 for overnight in a downtown garage. The Lombard hotels are more likely to have free or cheap parking, the ones in Union Square won't have parking or will charge you an arm and a leg.
C) BART runs until about midnight. Most Muni lines stop running around midnight, and drop off a lot in frequency past 10pm, and only a few lines run all night. Getting a cab in downtown or Union Square is generally pretty easy, people complain about it not being as easy as NYC but I've never had a problem getting a cab in downtown SF even late at night. SF is small and traffic is light at night so the fare won't be much unless you're going way across town.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 AM

24,323 posts, read 26,701,005 times
This place is nice, no amenities, but nice victorian style room. The rates are usually around $140/night but parking is free.

Cow Hollow Motor Inn

Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM

good advice, thanks all! I will look into the hotels on Lombard!

Last edited by ducviloxi; 07-31-2012 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 PM

Guys, I've decided to stay in the East bay (found a decent hotel around $80/night with taxes) as the economics of staying in downtown SF just to stay up late one day doesn't make much sense. I am with my GF and for the 2 of us the BART fare is $15. Now, we expect to catch the BART back before 12am and the BART site says that's about when the last train leaves in the direction of Richmond.... BUT even if we somehow missed it the cab fare back to Berkeley is only $50 which is $35 additional.

However, the cheapest hotel with parking I found in SF itself was $110/night at that was near Taraval and 47th (Robers at the beach motel), that's and additional $90 over staying in the East bay and it looks like the commute time from downtown SF is almost the same!

LOL, just trying to save some money thanks for all the advice here...

Looking at prices of hotels in downtown SF is just simply shocking...dumps for $150/night! You would find hotels in just about ANY tourist relevant area of Los Angeles for much cheaper than that...

Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,998,550 times
Have you looked into bidding on Hotwire or Priceline?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 PM

14 posts, read 15,715 times
Just throwing this one into the ring. I love this place. No frills hotel, a bed to sleep in and a toilet down the hall. You can get a room for $80-100. Clean and full of Victorian charm. I always stay here when I'm in town.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:52 AM

well, I found a downtown parking spot with rates at $17/24 hrs with unlimited in/out so that's equal to the BART fare for 2 from east bay! A no-brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland