Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 AM

60 posts, read 152,190 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I realize some of this inquiry might be duplicative of many other threads, but I think everyone's moving situation differs somewhat, so I figured I'd start my own and see what kind of feedback I can get.

My basic info:
- single male, age 29, Asian-American, currently living in Russian Hill (Polk & Greenwich).
- I'm looking to move primarily to be closer to work (Concord), while still maintaining close proximity to the city, and also reasonably close to the South Bay for the occasional weekend drive down (I'm from there, so lots of family and friends still there).
- I've also gotten "older" - that is, I'm not into the whole club scene much anymore, and I actually don't even go out that much anymore unless it's someone's birthday/some event, etc.
- I still like to be a near a commercial strip of some sort, preferably within reasonable walking distance (~0.5 miles or less) - I love Polk Street just for the simple fact that I have multiple cafes, a few bars and conveniences (walgreen's, bank) within 4-5 blocks, with great people watching to boot. I'm one of those people that, even if I'm not out there among the hustle and bustle, I still like knowing it's a few steps away.

What I'm looking at so far:
I'm not familiar with Oakland at all, but based on some reading through this forum, and doing a bit of driving around, I think I've narrowed down my geographical location to the lower Rockridge, Eastern Temescal and Piedmont Avenue areas. I feel like this gives me the best combination of retaining a bit of urban lifestyle (proximity to restaurants, cafes, etc), relative safety and peace and quiet without being too dead, and commuting convenience. I would love to live in a place within reasonable walking distance to Piedmont Avenue - I go to cafes a lot. Also, the socio-economic level. I realize the demographic won't be the same as Russian Hill, but I'm not looking for that. I actually feel out of place in Russian Hill, but I grew up as a sheltered suburban kid so part of me enjoyed the comfortable bubble of that part of the city.

Anyways, open properties seem to be extremely rare in that area, at least in my price range of 200-425k (1-2 bedroom). Any other areas in Oakland that I should be looking at that fit the description above?

Any information, tips, suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 AM

3 posts, read 10,662 times
Try downtown Walnut Creek condos.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Depending on your condo requirements, open up your search to the other side of Piedmont Ave (by the Rose Garden) and also Adam's Point (which is a little less safe than Rockridge or Piedmont Ave, but more safe than Temescal).

Stuff on the west side of Piedmont Ave is pretty limited. Tons on the east side, closer to Piedmont.

Rose Garden area is a quick but hilly walk to Piedmont Ave. Look on Harrison, Oakland, or Vernon. (Big streets) or Kingston or Monte Vista. Also Fairmont above Macarthur or so.

Depending on where you choose in Adam's Point and/or the Grand Lake area you'll be around .5-.75 miles from Piedmont Ave or Grand Lake and pretty close to downtown. That is another neighborhood your probably like. A little younger than Piedmont Ave or Rockridge. More singles and couples, and less families.

Basically everything in Adams Point is in your price range or lower. Rose Garden Area is in your budget for a 1-2 bedroom place, and a larger place that is not super renovated (there is a penthouse on the market for around $450k right now near the Rose Garden). I think it is 3 bedrooms.

Most buildings are from the 50s-70s. There are also tons of buildings where the 1 bedrooms are around $150k, 2 bedrooms for about $200k in Adams Point.

The condos in Uptown are in your budget, but that may not be the type of environment you want.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:37 AM

4 posts, read 9,767 times
Default Stay away from Oakland

The crime is too much, even in the hills, rockridge, etc.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:34 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatlippedElihu View Post
The crime is too much, even in the hills, rockridge, etc.
Nice name, Mr Fantastic, with racial overtones to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland