U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-06-2012, 11:06 PM

28 posts, read 49,494 times

Advertisements

My husband is interviewing for a job in the Bay Area, and so we are moving from Pittsburgh, PA back to where I grew up in Danville. I haven't lived there in almost 25 years, so I KNOW that much has changed. I attended Monte Vista high school, and my older sister attended San Ramon High School.

I was wondering if anybody out there has any info about which high school is more academic -- less athletics oriented. I have a sixteen year old son who is bright but not athletic. He is also high up on the autism spectrum. He is in regular classes in his high school here in Pittsburgh, and was just making the shift into honors classes for Math. He doesn't need much in the way of special services, but it would be nice if one of these schools has a background with kids on the spectrum.

Any info/opinions from people would be very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 AM

835 posts, read 1,249,235 times
I can't help much but I will say that both schools do very well in sports and of course there is a cross town rivalry. Their successes in many sports for both schools leads me to believe that sports are a big part of school. That said I know both schools rate pretty well academically.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 AM

224 posts, read 222,677 times
Monte Vista has an API of 898
SR Valley High has an API of 895
Both have rankings of *10*

So, as far as rankings and ratings go, they are identical. Sports is big at both schools as is pressure, but to be fair, there's pressure at all high-performing. highly-ranked high schools. There's really no avoiding that. Anecdotally, I hear that Monte Vista is more "elitist" than San Ramon, but quite frankly I don't know that the differences are all that great. I think you'll find elitism at both schools, as well as at any other high-performing high school in this area.

Anyways, both great schools.... can't go wrong! Good luck!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 AM

285 posts, read 351,069 times
Monte Vista and San Ramon High may have nearly the same performance, but the attitude of the students is very very different. To say that Monte Vista is more elitist is true, but an understatement.
I do feel that in-class behavior of the students at Monte Vista at the time I attended was more focused on the academics. San Ramon High was a bit more laid back (only behavior-wise).
IMO: San Ramon High gives more of a "normal high school" experience whereas Monte Vista feels more like a college campus with young students. I only attended each for 1 year (moved each year) and this was 15 years ago so I can not say if that was just unique to the years I attended or not.

Danville hasn't changed a lot in the last 15 years besides some growth, but the surrounding areas have changed to the point that some areas are not recognizable if you compared them to what they were.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:11 PM

224 posts, read 222,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post
Monte Vista and San Ramon High may have nearly the same performance, but the attitude of the students is very very different. To say that Monte Vista is more elitist is true, but an understatement.
I do feel that in-class behavior of the students at Monte Vista at the time I attended was more focused on the academics. San Ramon High was a bit more laid back (only behavior-wise).
IMO: San Ramon High gives more of a "normal high school" experience whereas Monte Vista feels more like a college campus with young students. I only attended each for 1 year (moved each year) and this was 15 years ago so I can not say if that was just unique to the years I attended or not.

Danville hasn't changed a lot in the last 15 years besides some growth, but the surrounding areas have changed to the point that some areas are not recognizable if you compared them to what they were.
I would definitely agree with you in that 15 years ago Monte Vista was far more elitist than San Ramon Valley. BUT.... Danville HAS changed in the past 15 years-- a larger influx of wealthy people coming in from SF to get good schools for their kids. Overall, it's a far more elitist community now than ever and therefore you're going to have some of that spill over into San Ramon Valley High. A friend of mine used to teach at SRV (2 years ago in fact) and said the students were QUITE indulged and arrogant and the parent community was pushy, competitive, and often made excuses for their kids when their kids messed up. NOW..... this goes on EVERYWHERE, though it varies in degree depending on the high school and I certainly believe this sort of thing goes on at Monte Vista. My point is that I think the gap has narrowed since your time at those two schools. From what people tell me Monte Vista is still slightly more arrogant a place than SRV, but depending on your social circle you may not sense a measurable difference.

This all said, these are two high-performing schools.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:23 AM

77 posts, read 169,907 times
SRVHS is much more laid back in terms of the students' attitudes. I know SRVHS is undergoing some changes with principals, but they will of course bring in great new people. Both schools have a good reputation in Special Ed, but I know Monte Vista has a "satellite class" from the Marcus School, a school for emotionally disturbed children. I don't know if it causes any problems on campus but I do know that many of those students don't enjoy being there. Would your son have an IEP?

Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 PM

17,323 posts, read 12,230,617 times
Just an anecdote. My sister went to high school in Dublin. The Monte Vista kids came over to Dublin High for an academic competition. They called it the "ghetto" and said they "were worried their cars would get broken into."

And if you haven't been to Dublin, it is your basic middle class suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland