U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 35,458 times
lol sorry i'm new here and i've never lived in california. and why exactly should i not call it san fran? i've heard plenty of other people call it that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:07 PM

114 posts, read 67,725 times
Well your welcome to do whatever you like I just grew up in the city of St Francis and not the city of St Fran, the older generation of San Franciscans HATED the term "Frisco" but people use it all the time, ironically the native rap scene of the bay area uses the term all the time. Plus your either a Giants fan and I dont need to say anything else or your a Jets fan and we play you guys this year so Im talkin exception to your weird vernacular but to be fair I said plz n thank you brah

Old 08-09-2012, 05:02 PM

312 posts, read 335,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWingFan View Post
Well your welcome to do whatever you like I just grew up in the city of St Francis and not the city of St Fran, the older generation of San Franciscans HATED the term "Frisco" but people use it all the time, ironically the native rap scene of the bay area uses the term all the time. Plus your either a Giants fan and I dont need to say anything else or your a Jets fan and we play you guys this year so Im talkin exception to your weird vernacular but to be fair I said plz n thank you brah
Ummm...excuse my jumping in here but how old are you??? Your conversational tone sounds like that of some of my 16-yo's buddies. You must be 16 or older to be on this site. And the comment about football was not really germane to the discussion.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi463 View Post
i'm a bit new to this whole thing, i've done plenty of real estate research, because i've been thinking of moving to san fran or los angeles. i found plenty of affordable houses in los angeles in safe areas like koreatown or eagle rock. i would rather live in san fran then los angeles though. i only found affordable single family homes in excelsior, and very little listings at that. the rest of the neighborhoods were expensive. and i don't completeley understand forclosure as well, do you pay the remaining amount in full or is it just like mortgage payments? to bring it all together, are there any,at least, moderatley safe and afforadable homes in san francisco that are'nt fixer uppers. by affordable i mean $10,000 to $420,000 houses in san francisco or should i stick to los angeles. and i searched the fourm under the keywords "san francisco cheap" and all that came up was san fran vs la...
Are you trying to move to one of these places to get a job? Go to school? Or just a change of scenery? What do you do for a living?

San Francisco is just about at the same level of Manhattan as far as housing expense. Many people have to live in Oakland or the 'burbs. The Bay Area is like the NYC/Tri-State of the west coast.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Im glad your sixteen year old and his friends are smart enough to not call it San Fran, as for yourself, football is always in discussion, this is 49er country

As for your comments, the median house price in San Francisco is about 300K less than that of Manhattan, because not of all San Francisco has been manhattanized by a bunch of people calling my hometown and great city of San Francisco, San Fran, looks like you take the L H town, too bad, you had the kid comment and everything

Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 PM

8 posts, read 35,458 times
to micmac, i am a former army looking for a job on a west coast police force. i was born and raised in brooklyn, but i've lived in staten island. i have money saved from my army days and would like to join the SFPD if not the LAPD, i've grown tired of living in a city where no one really cares about anyone else, just themselves. to rwing fan, i just don't know... sure i'm a giants fan, sure we won 2 super bowls the past 12 years, but that does'nt give you the right to more or less what seems like, mocking new york, jelaousy is one of the deadly sins, friendo...P.S real mature...

Old 08-10-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWingFan View Post
Im glad your sixteen year old and his friends are smart enough to not call it San Fran, as for yourself, football is always in discussion, this is 49er country

As for your comments, the median house price in San Francisco is about 300K less than that of Manhattan, because not of all San Francisco has been manhattanized by a bunch of people calling my hometown and great city of San Francisco, San Fran, looks like you take the L H town, too bad, you had the kid comment and everything
I was born and raised in East Oakland and ran around the Financial District, the Embarcadero and Civic Center area when I was a teenager back in the 80s like I owned the place. I roamed SoMA when it was ghetto, before the yuppies, before the redevelopment, before AT&T Park. I kissed a girl under the James Lick Skyway before most of the people on these forums were even born. Took the N MacArthur to the Transbay Terminal and rode the 30 Stockton, 38 Geary, and also the 15 Third through the hood to get to the Stick during the Humm Baby days. We went to the Stick many times when the A's were on the road. Once a White guy in a Giants Starter jacket saw me and my brother (we are Black) walking down Gilman on our way to the game, and joined us and engaged us in friendly conversation. Now if this guy saw me on Market Street or on Montgomery, in his suit, he would ignore me. I think he just wanted to be around some "brothas" so he wouldn't get jumped in the Bayview!!! lol!!!

And was a 49er fan when everyone around me was still crying that the Raidahs bailed, and called me a sellout for liking the 'Niners. The 49er organization taught me (as a fan) a thing or two about excellence, execution and winning with "class". I may be from "across the Bay" but The City as well as the Oaktown will always be home.

It's just too dayum expensive. The yuppies had taken it over enough by the 90s and looks like the transformation is complete.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Ya, a Oakland guy would bring a chick under the freeway, jussssssssss plaaaaaaaaayin, I hear ya right on right on, Go 9ers n take care!!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM

10 posts, read 6,041 times
My boyfriend said he recently went to a foreclosure auction in Oakland and many places were selling for $50k-200k. A lot of them were single family homes too. I'm not sure where they were located but it's probable that some were in West Oakland, which is right on the other side of the bridge from downtown SF. The commute from West Oakland is a lot more ideal both by car and public transit than most parts of SF (car is 10ish min commute to downtown SF, up to 30 in high traffic, and Bart is 8 minutes I think), but there is a reason why those places are so cheap....

Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 AM

560 posts, read 420,483 times
Seriously, do some research on your own....or at least read through some threads in this forum before you post.

There. I've wanted to post this in response to many inquiries and finally got it off my chest.

That is all. For now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland