Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
In its current state I totally agree that JLS has lost out to Uptown and the neighborhoods as far as the ability to attract foot traffic I think primarily because it does feel a little removed from the rest of downtown and the city partly due to the 880 fy but also due to the largely industrial nature of the area north of JLS, namely the port and all).

But a new stadium would definitely energize that area and bring thousands of people into JLS during game times, and that might be enough to attract more retail, more businesses, even more restaurant and entertainment amenities, and perhaps even more housing.

If JLS were as vibrant as the area where ATT is, Id probably move there in a heartbeat and live in a large condo. And I probably attend quite a few A's games too. lol
The real problem is JLS is disconnected. Even with itself. The B shuttle is a good start. But since JLS is mostly individual buildings separated by either sidewalks, or dead zones. Sometimes dead zones that last blocks. It doesn't feel pedestrian friendly.

More lights and streetscape improvements would make a big difference. As it stands now, I don't really like to walk from Chop Bar to Beer Revolution, even though it is only like 4 blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 02:20 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
In its current state I totally agree that JLS has lost out to Uptown and the neighborhoods as far as the ability to attract foot traffic I think primarily because it does feel a little removed from the rest of downtown and the city partly due to the 880 fy but also due to the largely industrial nature of the area north of JLS, namely the port and all).

But a new stadium would definitely energize that area and bring thousands of people into JLS during game times, and that might be enough to attract more retail, more businesses, even more restaurant and entertainment amenities, and perhaps even more housing.

If JLS were as vibrant as the area where ATT is, Id probably move there in a heartbeat and live in a large condo. And I probably attend quite a few A's games too. lol
Some of the areas bordering Petco Park in San Diego would have likely have not redeveloped to what they are today if it wasn't for the Padres. Granted Downtown SD already had the Gaslamp and a fairly vibrant, active Downtown near one end of the park but I feel it was a catalyst for other development that would have not otherwise occured had Petco never been built. Anyone think some of those condo's overlooking Petco would have been built if it overlooked some industrial buildings and MTS' bus/trolley storage yard?

A new ballpark can definitely serve as a catalyst for redevelopment in Downtown Oakland/JLS, especially if you built some sort of BART extension or streetcar connecting JLS to the tranist system..

I think the demand and potential is there. AT&T is expensive and the resaurants and bars there are pricey and almost too crowded before and after a game. I don't see how a new ballpark in Oakland wouldn't attract some of that crowd. Or how that area wouldn't be prime for revelopment considering its no more than 2 BART stops from Downtown SF. New condos offering a view of the ballpark, bay, SF, etc..isn't appealing?

AT&T Park, Petco Park, and Staples Center. Plenty of examples here in CA yet Oakland is somehow so different that it can't pull off something similar.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Exactly. My friend (who is an actual a's fan) goes all the time. I would go....but we not for any game that coincides with meal time. Hot dogs and crappy beer aren't my scene. I love going to Pac Bell PArk. I hate baseball.

A new park with reasonable transit options would draw people like me, no question.
If it wasn't for Petco Park I probably would have never gone to as many Padres games as I did. I went to two games at Qualcomm my first 3 years there and who knows how many over the next 6 years. Tickets are relatively easy to get and affordable. It's by transit and there are lots of bars and restuarants in the area. I am a very casual Padres fan and me and a lot of people would go just because it was something fun to do.

Despite my obvious disdain for the Giants, no one can deny they have a great atmosphere and ballpark overall. GReat food and drink vendors there. There are enough people and enough demand for a new A's ballpark to do something similar imo. If it's accessible, realtively affordable, and nice it will draw casual fans easily no matter who they casually root for. The A's have always drawn some Giants fans because it's easy to get tickets and affordable even to this day, with a new ballpark there is no reason to think that won't be the case. They don't need to be breaking any attendance records for a new ballpark to be considered successful, the Padres aren't and people love that park.

And if past attendance was a reason a new park should not be built then the Giants, Marlins, Detroit etc..should have never gotten a new park either. I really don't get how anyone can try to use that argument, the A's are hardly unique in their attendance history and stadium issues. A huge reason behind a new ballpark is draw the fans back and it's worked for many teams.

Last edited by sav858; 08-20-2012 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 02:52 PM

312 posts, read 797,831 times
If Clorox, Oakland's only Fortune 500 company, were to "buy" the A's in the form of Don Knauss being the managing general partner, my question is, what would the new ballpark be called?

1. I have heard "Cloroxeum" bantered about.

2. The Washtub?

And, yes, it needs to be either Jack London Square or somewhere downtown, and the city needs to make improvements to make it viable so people can walk around and get a bite to eat before the game. This has been done in city after city nationwide an is NOT rocket science, people. Phoenix for crying out loud has sorta-kinda done it with the D-Backs.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:57 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,487 times
^

If the stadium is ugly or the A's play awful....how about "The Toilet"?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 PM

I like alliterative names Clorox Coliseum, Kaiser Coliseum, and Pandora Park. Be great to keep the Coliseum part as that word is synonymous with A's baseball.

I think Pac Bell Park sounded better than AT&T Park. Petco Park has a nice ring to it.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 PM

312 posts, read 797,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I like alliterative names Clorox Coliseum, Kaiser Coliseum, and Pandora Park. Be great to keep the Coliseum part as that word is synonymous with A's baseball.

I think Pac Bell Park sounded better than AT&T Park. Petco Park has a nice ring to it.
Well, won't fans be confused with the actual Coliseum, which I presume the Raiders will still occupy? (And no, I am NOT in favor of building a new baseball-only stadium on the Coliseum property.)

Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
Well, won't fans be confused with the actual Coliseum, which I presume the Raiders will still occupy? (And no, I am NOT in favor of building a new baseball-only stadium on the Coliseum property.)
Raiders fans will, A's fans won't .

I don't think it will be a big deal, the media usually refers to it by it's proper name anyways, O.co Coliseum at the moment.

I'm not in favor of Coliseum City for the A's either, it's fine for football but there is way more potential in and around Dt Oakland.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's not a good sign when a team has left for attendance reasons and lack of support.

Based on the fact that the only other MLB team to play in Canada was nearly contracted out of existence.

arge compared to what? Other Canadian metro areas? The area has less people than Sacramento, would call you Sac "large". So you think people in Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton, etc..are going to give a crap about some MLB team in Vancouver? Based on what? Also considering there is only one NBA team for Canada as well it's clearly not that odd.

I
Off topic, but Vancouver and Montreal, well, besides being in Canada, that's about all they have in common.
Vancouver, would be a solid market for a MLB team.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Off topic, but Vancouver and Montreal, well, besides being in Canada, that's about all they have in common.
Vancouver, would be a solid market for a MLB team.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland