Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:06 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,664,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
People move to places like Houston or Pittsburgh to "kick back" and scrape together some savings for retirement. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a factory worker's mindset.

People who move to cities like San Francisco, New York, Boston and similar places move for the unique opportunities to carve their way and use their unique talents. Often, that requires some amount of struggle over time, with a payoff down the road in monetary rewards for hard work and savings for a comfortable retirement.

The cost of entry into places that support this kind of ambition and that reward the talent and work ethic needed to achieve it is an insurmountable barrier to many. Throughout most of my life, I was always taught that was a good thing. Otherwise, if just anyone, with no unique skill or ambition, could do as well by "kicking back" as someone who is willing to put in the work to realize a dream, no one would bother dreaming or doing anything.
I guess, and I'd say it's all relative too. If you're 23 and single and want to move to an eclectic city with nothing more than hope and a prayer, go for it. You can scrape by with odd jobs and roommates and get to experience life a bit. If you're in your thirties, your priorities should reflect the realities of your situation a little more.

In reference to this thread, the title itself positions the discussion around the specifically mentioned 'working class' (Possibly even including 'factory workers') and the mention of pay and desire to live somewhat comfortably also paint a more distinct picture.
If the OP is looking for a 1 bd apartment on X wage, I'm really not picturing someone who lives a Bohemian lifestyle looking to live on their unique skills that only a big city could offer. In that case, pay and luxuries such as 1 bd apartments are secondary to living their dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 04:16 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,128,906 times
A) Section Voucher/ Low income housing
B) Rent in the ghetto/ exurbs
C) Mulit-generational/multi families in one dwelling
D) Any and all combinations of the aforementioned.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
A) Section Voucher/ Low income housing
B) Rent in the ghetto/ exurbs
C) Mulit-generational/multi families in one dwelling
D) Any and all combinations of the aforementioned.

You really do speak the truth.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:41 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,871,032 times
Is Oakland really that bad? (My girlfriend used to live there and I kind of liked it. She made more than $50K in today's dollars though.) The median household income there is $49,721.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:38 AM

14,640 posts, read 14,512,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Is Oakland really that bad? (My girlfriend used to live there and I kind of liked it. She made more than $50K in today's dollars though.) The median household income there is $49,721.
As a whole, no, but certain sections really are "that bad". Someone making $50k could find a nice if unremarkable 1BR apartment in the North Oakland or Lake Merritt areas and live a good life.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,709,568 times
Quote:
There are lots of middle class people living pleasant lives in Oakland. There is lots to do and see.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:35 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,996,867 times
Quote:
It depends on the area. Some are worse than you think, some are not as bad as you think. A person making $50,000 won't be buying a house in a "nice" part of Oakland.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 PM

114 posts, read 238,809 times
There are places you can live in SF but if your not from here it would kind of be a waste, not really the SF people think of

Old 09-12-2012, 03:09 PM

26 posts, read 97,908 times
Thanks for all the feedback. Been looking online at apartments in Oakland and Alameda.Trying not to add large gas bill to my expenses. I have to do some research on the areas if Oakland to avoid. Alameda has 1 bdrm apts in $1100+ range. Certainly doable, but cuts into play money.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:40 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,032,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRay5264 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Been looking online at apartments in Oakland and Alameda.Trying not to add large gas bill to my expenses. I have to do some research on the areas if Oakland to avoid. Alameda has 1 bdrm apts in $1100+ range. Certainly doable, but cuts into play money.
$1100 is pretty low for a 1br by Bay Area rental market standards. Alameda is a really nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland