Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:01 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,993,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
About two years ago we went to SF to visit my daughter, who was working in East Palo Alto on an internship. We spent about one week in SF, which isn't too long, but my impression was that it was very expensive and geared to wealthy white and Asian yuppies. People did not seem very friendly there, either. I am not the camera-toting "touristy" type that people love to hate, when I go to a city I try to be respectful and polite. I asked someone for directions, and he said "I don't know and I don't care." Wow! Thats NYC level rudeness.
NYers aren't THAT rude. Many of us will help you if we have the time and it's not taking us out of our way. We don't disrespect people who do not disrespect us FIRST.

Anyways, the black population in LA and California as a whole is nowhere near as huge as on the east coast and the south. If there was a ton of blacks here at one time, then they're long gone now.

There's still a sizeable amount in Oakland I hear.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,456,157 times
San Francisco and Oakland Black populations have declined... about 6% for SF and 28% of Oakland...

At 6%, the SF population is still slightly higher then the 5.8% Statewide...

Old 08-29-2012, 01:26 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,775,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport69 View Post
Marginalization of black communities is typical in most blue states. Ignorance, neglect and racism is partly to blame. Other factors include low self esteem self hate jealousy and disunity in the community which is killing the young, black business, and their dreams. Most blacks who live in red states thrive and do well with a higher proportion of them owning homes, business, college degrees good jobs etc.
Red states are usually much cheaper to live in too.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:49 PM

159 posts, read 489,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
NYers aren't THAT rude. Many of us will help you if we have the time and it's not taking us out of our way. We don't disrespect people who do not disrespect us FIRST.

Anyways, the black population in LA and California as a whole is nowhere near as huge as on the east coast and the south. If there was a ton of blacks here at one time, then they're long gone now.

There's still a sizeable amount in Oakland I hear.
When I went on a BART station in Oakland nearly the majority of the people on the train are black. I think that is considered more than sizable.

The city I live in (Santa Rosa) is 2.4% black in 2010, but I still see a lot of black people in certain areas and I am sure they are pretty comfortable with it too and would not care if they are the only black person around. The public schools here do not have many black students but when I am in downtown area I see a lot of black people.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,426,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Red states are usually much cheaper to live in too.
I guess that's why there are so few black people in Maryland, New York, Michigan, Illinois, etc.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,738,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
When I went on a BART station in Oakland nearly the majority of the people on the train are black. I think that is considered more than sizable.
Depends on the BART station. But transit is poor barometer of diversity in pretty much any reason. Transit takes tend to be poorer, and more ethnic than non transit takers in most of the US. Besides NYC.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Depends on the BART station. But transit is poor barometer of diversity in pretty much any reason. Transit takes tend to be poorer, and more ethnic than non transit takers in most of the US. Besides NYC.
That is true. However, at the junior college where I live, I would say 10 to 15% of the people I see walking around the campus during daytime, many of them being Ethiopian/Eritrean people and the rest being African Americans, sometimes in large amounts. It is near a lower income area too. But websites say it's only 3% black. The lower income parts of my town are mostly Hispanic but I still saw a lot of black people there even though the Census says these zip codes are 3% black and less. But there are not many black families where I live, just white/black and black/Hispanic interracial families. I came from an interracial and multicultural family so it's kinda cool for me to see those types of families.

I guess the Census stuff is not always accurate. Almost all the African American people where I live end up marrying non-black and have kids that are only half black. On my block, there are a lot of families like this and it is cool to see the mixture of people. I think it's a good thing that the black people are leaving the ghettos and impoverished areas to suburban type areas like Santa Rosa or wherever else, because it's a better place for them to live. Most black people I know much rather live in a very white safe place (like parts of Santa Rosa, Walnut Creek, the nice parts of SF, parts of San Jose) than a ghetto black place, and that's why they chose to live in a predominately non-black town. So I don't think it's a bad thing the cities are losing black population.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:

The city I live in (Santa Rosa) is 2.4% black in 2010, but I still see a lot of black people in certain areas and I am sure they are pretty comfortable with it too and would not care if they are the only black person around. The public schools here do not have many black students but when I am in downtown area I see a lot of black people.
It depends on what YOU consider "sizeable". I'm black and I'm coming from a city where blacks are seen ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE not just a handful every 20 miles or so. Oakland has been a traditionally black segregated area like Harlem, Compton and Inglewood are.

So, yeah, you will see more than the average in OAKLAND compared to the rest of the city. I bet there aren't huge numbers in Mountain View, Palo Alto and other parts of San Francisco, just like there aren't a huge influx of them here in LA. Only in certain pockets of the city are they concentrated.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It depends on what YOU consider "sizeable". I'm black and I'm coming from a city where blacks are seen ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE not just a handful every 20 miles or so. Oakland has been a traditionally black segregated area like Harlem, Compton and Inglewood are.

So, yeah, you will see more than the average in OAKLAND compared to the rest of the city. I bet there aren't huge numbers in Mountain View, Palo Alto and other parts of San Francisco, just like there aren't a huge influx of them here in LA. Only in certain pockets of the city are they concentrated.
Yeah I know what you mean. I guess because I went to a public elementary school where there only a few black people, it's more unique in a way to see quite a few black people in one place. There's one high school near where I live that has about 1,000 students now, and only 50 of the students at that school are black. People refer to that school as "the school with a lot of black people" or "there's a lot of black people there" because to them, that's a lot, lol.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know what you mean. I guess because I went to a public elementary school where there only a few black people, it's more unique in a way to see quite a few black people in one place. There's one high school near where I live that has about 1,000 students now, and only 50 of the students at that school are black. People refer to that school as "the school with a lot of black people" or "there's a lot of black people there" because to them, that's a lot, lol.
Yeah, that is funny! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland