Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times

Advertisements

This is an old article, but I've seen others that say the same thing.

SAN FRANCISCO / Mayor: Soon no homeless on welfare / Care Not Cash ranks falling, Newsom says - SFGate

The only thing they get is housing and foodstamps (maybe). They also have the most vulnerable and dangerous contained in the Tenderloin district as opposed to other areas. I also read that almost every SRO in the city is now under the city's control. They pay the hotel owners directly to take on certain homeless.

They no longer called the hotel rooms "ROOMS", but studio apartments, even though many still have to share the bathrooms and don't have a kitchen. Many residents do have to be on some sort of "fixed" income which many mentally ill, drug addicts and senior citizens might be in the form of social security and disability.

No homeless person is on WELFARE or getting cash benefits.

So, the next time a homeless person begs you for some change, it's not cause he spent his money on drugs or alcohol, it's because he was NEVER given any.

This is horrible. How do these people purchase necessities like toiletries, razors, etc.?

Last edited by marilyn220; 08-29-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 PM

Default The Sweden Hotel in the Tenderloin is charging $365 a week

For a room with no bathroom or kitchen.

I only called them, because I saw on their website they were charging $200 a week and they got some decent reviews for cleanliness. I told him his website said $200 a week. In fact, there was nothing for anywhere near $300. He said in very thick accented english "Oh, our website has been having problem, we're trying to fix that."

I then proceeded to ask him if the bathrooms were NOW included in the rooms for that kind of money and he said NO. I said thanks and hung up.

Who would pay $300 plus dollars to stay a week in a room without a bathroom, especially in the Tenderloin??

Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,015 times
There's a semi-homeless drug addict lifestyle that's associated with places like that.

They are for people who aren't in a position to rent because of joblessness, addiction, mental illness, etc. They may collect a monthly benefits check that allows them to spend 1-2 weeks of their month in a place like that where they can enjoy a bit of privacy.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think that's a pretty big side of it.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsin View Post
There's a semi-homeless drug addict lifestyle that's associated with places like that.

They are for people who aren't in a position to rent because of joblessness, addiction, mental illness, etc. They may collect a monthly benefits check that allows them to spend 1-2 weeks of their month in a place like that where they can enjoy a bit of privacy.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think that's a pretty big side of it.
Yeah, I understand that.

But $365 a week to rent a room with NO BATHROOM???

You could tell he was ashamed to admit it, because he KNOWS where this place is located. For $365 a week or an extra $35 I could probably get a decent hotel if I book it properly.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:47 AM

67 posts, read 229,445 times
It's also post America's cup and "back to school' week. I saw this too last week as I am researching coming back to SF. I guess the question is, did they advertise such on Craiglist? I did see the site and did the booking engine and it was expensive, but I am not sure if I saw them advertising on CL. I even saw one on mid Polk St for $600/month. I was wondering how valid that was and it's availability,

Concidentally, I priced some hostels on airbnb for october,, and many came out reasonable on the booking engines for under $200./week.

I have a friend in Berkeley who is willing to share her home so I am considering that tooo, but I'd rather be in SF.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd96813 View Post
It's also post America's cup and "back to school' week. I saw this too last week as I am researching coming back to SF. I guess the question is, did they advertise such on Craiglist? I did see the site and did the booking engine and it was expensive, but I am not sure if I saw them advertising on CL. I even saw one on mid Polk St for $600/month. I was wondering how valid that was and it's availability,

Concidentally, I priced some hostels on airbnb for october,, and many came out reasonable on the booking engines for under $200./week.

I have a friend in Berkeley who is willing to share her home so I am considering that tooo, but I'd rather be in SF.
I was going to do the hostel thing too, but they do NOT have set prices in San Francisco.

For example, I called three weeks ago to get the rates and to see if they would be booked for the labor day week. One quoted me $39 a day for the weekend, then $29 for everyday after that. Another just said it was $39 a day for the week and one last one said they were a whopping $45 freaking dollars everyday no matter what, except on off-season. I said your website said $24 a night. He said "yeah, but only for the off-season".

Why on earth would I spend $45 a night when I can a hotel with my own bathroom and amenities for that price or a little more? And to make matters worse, a few days ago, I called the one that quoted $29 a night after labor day and the price is now $43. Again, I said I was told a rate that was significantly much less a couple of weeks ago. How did the rates change so fast? She said "when we're busy we charge whatever we want".

This is what led me to the SRO information and how they're liars too. I really can't blame the SRO owners though. If the city is willing to subsidize the homeless, fix any problems with the rooms for a profitable price, then it makes sense. I just wish these places would update their web pages and stop trying to get over.

I would NEVER pay $365 a week where I have to share a bathroom and not be able to cook. Ridiculous.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 PM

67 posts, read 229,445 times
Not sure what you mean by "set prices".

I'm sure just like hotels, hostels have different prices depending on the season, weekend or weekday, the size of the room you want (ie. 4 person room, 6 person room etc.). I noticed 'this' weekend was sold out on some of the hostels (since it is Labor day weekend I can see why). But for October, when I was looking, full openings, and prices that were fine with me.

I saw no issues that gave me any warning or hesitancy in wanting to book. Some were of course pricier than others. I went to hostels.com and not the hostel site themselves. Also like I mentioned, airbnb has some listings too. One good looking one on Kearny & Clay. Hostels.com lets you choose yoru dates and shows you different rooms and prices and availabilty depending on the property.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd96813 View Post
Not sure what you mean by "set prices".

I'm sure just like hotels, hostels have different prices depending on the season, weekend or weekday, the size of the room you want (ie. 4 person room, 6 person room etc.). I noticed 'this' weekend was sold out on some of the hostels (since it is Labor day weekend I can see why). But for October, when I was looking, full openings, and prices that were fine with me.

I saw no issues that gave me any warning or hesitancy in wanting to book. Some were of course pricier than others. I went to hostels.com and not the hostel site themselves. Also like I mentioned, airbnb has some listings too. One good looking one on Kearny & Clay. Hostels.com lets you choose yoru dates and shows you different rooms and prices and availabilty depending on the property.
The prices on most websites are vastly lower than what is quoted. I do know there are "seasonal" prices, but it seemed they seemed to do just say whatever they wanted at the ones I called. I'm not saying all of them, but I do need consistency. Also, hostels are not supposed to charge like hotels which is the reason why they're popular.

The hostel in LA have set prices that don't change according to holidays or how "busy" they are as was quoted by the hostel on Mason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland