Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times

Advertisements

$1200 for a house? That would put you at least an hour outside of SF, in a sketchy neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
$1,200 would put you in Oakland, Vallejo, Richmond, Tracy, or Patterson.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=enforcer=- View Post
Fair enough. Were going to check out both for sure. As far a SF, how far away from the bay area would you need to be for the rent to begin dropping?
To get a place with a yard in a safe neighborhood for under $1200, you will probably end up somewhere like the far east/northeast Bay (Fairfield, Vacaville, Brentwood, Antioch, etc.) or the far South Bay (Gilroy), or the Central Valley (Tracy, Mountain House). If you work in technology your job will probably be in SF, the Peninsula or northern half of the South Bay and the commute from any of those places will be more than an hour each way, maybe up to 2 hrs. There are some mass transit options that may cut some stress from your commute but they won't cut the commute time (ACE train, BART, Caltrain). There is also commute cost - for example, an ACE monthly pass from Tracy to San Jose is $233, and taking BART from Pittsburgh/Antioch to downtown SF daily would be about $225/month. That will end up less than gas/maintenance on the car, but might be an expense you haven't considered in your rent budget.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
vallejo and martinez have safe areas but i don't know the areas

also the commute to most IT jobs would be hell

martinez
Houses for Rent in Martinez and Single Family Homes for Rent - Zillow

vallejo
Houses for Rent in Vallejo and Single Family Homes for Rent - Zillow

hercules and pinole are a little more and closer
Houses for Rent in Hercules and Single Family Homes for Rent - Zillow

Houses for Rent in Pinole and Single Family Homes for Rent - Zillow

edit:sorry i don't think most of these areas are in your range. bentobox is right you will likely need to be further out like "far east/northeast Bay (Fairfield, Vacaville, Brentwood, Antioch, etc.) or the far South Bay (Gilroy), or the Central Valley (Tracy, Mountain House)."
as others have pointed out $1200 is not close affording to a house in a desirable area but you can find acceptable areas if you compromise on commute,walkabilty or housing stock.people do it all the time

Last edited by ssmaster; 09-06-2012 at 11:13 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 PM

The commute from Vallejo isn't that bad compared to say "Tracy", but Vallejo has a lot of crime problems and municipal issues.

West Oakland IMO gives you a good commute, but that neighborhood is like a battlefield.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 PM

24,405 posts, read 26,951,108 times
I wouldn't recommend Oakland unless you can afford a nice part, which will cost more than $1,200 for a house or townhouse with a yard. Check it out for yourself and decide though. I'd rather live in SF than Seattle or Portland, but would much rather live in Seattle or Portland than Oakland.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I wouldn't recommend Oakland unless you can afford a nice part, which will cost more than $1,200 for a house or townhouse with a yard. Check it out for yourself and decide though. I'd rather live in SF than Seattle or Portland, but would much rather live in Seattle or Portland than Oakland.
IMO

1. San Francisco
2. Seattle
3. Portland
Oakland

Old 09-07-2012, 01:06 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
You have a really unrealistic notion of housing prices in the Bay Area. I can't imagine there's many parts of Florida where you could get an entire house for $1200. $1200 would get you a 1 bedroom APARTMENT if you're lucky, and it would pretty much have to be in Oakland. In SF it would be more like $2500 to $3000 for a 1br apartment (again that's APARTMENT, not HOUSE). Oh, and most landlords in the Bay Area are really anti-pet, so that really reduces the number of places you could even look at. SF is the worst and is almost impossible even to find landlords that allow cats.

Honestly if you get a halfway decent tech job and your wife has a good income you should be able to afford way more than $1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
IMO

1. San Francisco
2. Seattle
3. Portland
Oakland
mod edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-14-2012 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: stop the name calling.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:24 AM

15 posts, read 17,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
You have a really unrealistic notion of housing prices in the Bay Area. I can't imagine there's many parts of Florida where you could get an entire house for $1200. $1200 would get you a 1 bedroom APARTMENT if you're lucky, and it would pretty much have to be in Oakland. In SF it would be more like $2500 to $3000 for a 1br apartment (again that's APARTMENT, not HOUSE). Oh, and most landlords in the Bay Area are really anti-pet, so that really reduces the number of places you could even look at. SF is the worst and is almost impossible even to find landlords that allow cats.

Honestly if you get a halfway decent tech job and your wife has a good income you should be able to afford way more than $1200.

mod edit
Well you don't have to imagine..... $1200 for a house in Florida is reality. Being one of the hardest hit states in terms of the real estate market, housing prices and rental prices are way way down. 200k Condo in 2007? Not anymore.... Try 34k for the same one in 2012.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-14-2012 at 10:55 AM..

Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=enforcer=- View Post
Well you don't have to imagine..... $1200 for a house in Florida is reality. Being one of the hardest hit states in terms of the real estate market, housing prices and rental prices are way way down. 200k Condo in 2007? Not anymore.... Try 34k for the same one in 2012.
Exactly. Some people simply don't keep up with real estate trends other than the areas they immediately live in.

As investors, places like Phoenix, Florida, Vegas, are big money makers at the moment.

I bought two 4 bedroom/3 bath homes in Phoenix in April for $80,000 (both together). Suffice to say the ROI is a lot better than what I would get putting that cash into a money market account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland