Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:01 AM

11 posts, read 8,108 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I must tell you guys at first that i've read many topics about the bay area, especially the ones considering OKL/Berkeley. So, im moving on to study in SF from january to september 2013.

I'm a 20 yrs old guy marketing student that is looking for a reasonable place to live in Bay area. Im looking for a "not so expensive" place, not far from SF itself... Im searching also for a low crime and full-recreational place, since im dragging my friends with me so we can form a pop-rock brazilian band to play on the bar scenes.

I hope you guys can give me some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegankore View Post
Hey!

I must tell you guys at first that i've read many topics about the bay area, especially the ones considering OKL/Berkeley. So, im moving on to study in SF from january to september 2013.

I'm a 20 yrs old guy marketing student that is looking for a reasonable place to live in Bay area. Im looking for a "not so expensive" place, not far from SF itself... Im searching also for a low crime and full-recreational place, since im dragging my friends with me so we can form a pop-rock brazilian band to play on the bar scenes.

I hope you guys can give me some suggestions.
I'd say you should look in the East Bay. The East Bay is cheaper than S.F proper, and you have BART access pretty much all day (until 1am I believe).

What is your rental budget? That's going to determine where you can live in the East Bay, and trust me when I say there are neighborhoods you want to avoid.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 AM

Doc, i'll have like 800 dollars/month. BTW, im sharing an APT with 2 friends comming with me. And yes, i can cook well. which location in the east bay is cheaper and have a pretty easy BART access?! how much commuting time're we talking about to OAK/SF?

Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Are you attending SFSU?

If you are, it's a 25 min drive from Oakland during non-rush hour traffic. With traffic I can sometimes take 45-60 mins

If you take BART, it's about a 30 min BART ride from West Oakland. There's a shuttle that will take you to SFSU that runs every 15 mins and takes about 10 mins. Average commute time is about 45 mins. $7.60 each way.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Doc, i'll have like 800 dollars/month. BTW, im sharing an APT with 2 friends comming with me. And yes, i can cook well. which location in the east bay is cheaper and have a pretty easy BART access?! how much commuting time're we talking about to OAK/SF?
Is $800 a month just your share, or is $800 total for you and your two friends?

If your budget is $800 total, you won't have many options. West Oakland may be your only option. There are some very bad negatives to the neighborhood, it's full of crime, and considered one of the most dangerous hoods in the Bay Area. I'm not sure what your tolerance is coming from Brazil, but I think if you're going to live in West Oakland, you better be prepared for the crime you may encounter in the neighborhood.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Unlike Doc, I ACTUALLY LIVE in West Oakland. I've lived here for the past 5 years!

Safety varies from block to block, but overall it's not nearly as dangerous as people like DocGoldstein claim. He's never lived in Oakland and I doubt he's spent any time there.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:18 AM

Here's an article about West Oakland written by a reputable journalist with no hidden agenda, just unbiased reporting, and fact finding. It's about gang intimidation in West Oakland.

'Hostages' at home: Intimidation spreads in Oakland, other violence-plagued cities

As someone who isn't a native to the area, I would recommend you disregard West Oakland as a place to live for your own personal safety.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Im used to crime in brazil... Doc, its $800 just for me. my friends'll have another funds. What about berkeley? is it too expensive?! how far's it to SFSU? And yes, i'm into SFSU.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 AM

$7,50? Ugh... thats expsensive!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
$7,50? Ugh... thats expsensive!
Well if you have a higher budget, then cross off West Oakland. There are FAR better options. Berkeley would be in your range. Berkeley is a cool college town, and has BART access to get across the Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland