Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

Actually, the quiet suburban east bay community of Castro Valley where we use to live has a nice nudist club out Cull Canyon Road.

Sequoian Home Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:49 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
I can't believe that you're in any way surprised by the reactions here.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 PM

16 posts, read 48,726 times
On the contrary, i feel a good portion of the reactions i've received here are far more telling of the people posting them than on myself.

Either way i've discovered a network of people related to the nudism movement in sf and they have been much more helpful to my inquiries. I suppose that's what happens when i open my friendly inquiries to those outside of the movement to get their take.

Either way i believe i'm done here. I've already set the date of October 1st to be heading down to your fair (and bare) city and I shall find out how things are there myself. See y'all around!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilan View Post
Either way i believe i'm done here. I've already set the date of October 1st to be heading down to your fair (and bare) city and I shall find out how things are there myself. See y'all around!
Don't forget your towel.

And I'm not surprised that your fellow nudists are supportive of nudism... so why not try talking to some actual (non-nudist) neighborhood residents when you're here, to see what we think?

Last edited by pch1013; 09-19-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 06:06 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilan View Post
On the contrary, i feel a good portion of the reactions i've received here are far more telling of the people posting them than on myself.

Either way i've discovered a network of people related to the nudism movement in sf and they have been much more helpful to my inquiries. I suppose that's what happens when i open my friendly inquiries to those outside of the movement to get their take.

So you get defensive and petty when some of the locals tell you that it's not entirely acceptable? When in Rome as they say...... (and 99.9% of people wear clothes here). We are FROM here, and you are not. Don't forget that.

Last edited by clongirl; 09-19-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Oooooh ... "the movement" ... so sinister. I'm with you, man. Fight the power!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
[quote=pch1013;26143964]
But the tide is turning against them; most people in the neighborhood are absolutely fed up with them and wish they'd go somewhere else, and our Supervisor has been receiving so many complaints (such as naked men with erections lurking outside the local elementary school) that he's said he wouldn't be opposed to a citywide nudity ban.[quote]

Which Supervisor is that?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Nobody is moving here to walk around naked unless they want trouble and/or no friends outside the handful of old dudes in the Castro who probably won't like you anyway.. Seriously, SF is not a nudist city, there are places for that outside of the public eye. Go there, because the "in your face" attitude is a guaranteed way to loose the privilege of being able to do it at all.

We humans have a way of throwing our freedoms away by proving we can't handle them.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:53 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
[quote=honobob;26168849][quote=pch1013;26143964]
But the tide is turning against them; most people in the neighborhood are absolutely fed up with them and wish they'd go somewhere else, and our Supervisor has been receiving so many complaints (such as naked men with erections lurking outside the local elementary school) that he's said he wouldn't be opposed to a citywide nudity ban.
Quote:

Which Supervisor is that?
Scott Wiener, who else?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 AM

56 posts, read 117,601 times
Ehh, I don't desire to see naked men walking around, and I certainly would never do it myself, but honestly, is seeing a naked man anymore "offensive" than have to dodge homeless men peeing, pooing, & sprawled on the sidewalk drunk? Or a thousand vagrants allowed (and in the case of some Supervisors, encouraged) to illegally camp and drink beer in Justin Herman Plaza under the guise of a "protest?"

I guess to me, seeing just about anything really doesn't "offend" me. Stepping in poop or being harassed while walking to the Ferry building - now that I'm not cool with.

To offer an analogy, my stance on Gay marriage has always been - let them do it, why not, it has no impact on my life - so let them pursue happiness how they please, if that's getting married, go for it. And I've always thought that deep down, opponents of Gay Marriage simply could not bear the thought of "seeing" gay men out in public - and all other lame justifications (defense of the "traditional family", etc...) were simply excuses to conceal their actual feelings of squeamishness. I feel this is the general sentiment of the population here in San Francisco. And as a matter of principle, if I am not/should not/will not be offended by the sight of two men kissing or holding hands, or the sight of two men at the altar, why would I then be offended at the sight of someone naked - assuming they were not engaging in physical assault or infringement on my rights (keeping in mind you have no guaranteed right to not see offensive things, just as you have no right to expect censorship of opinions you do not care to hear)? I guess I just don't see much of a distinction there. One's just a bit further down the spectrum.

(now, obviously being aroused in front of school children is a different scenario and constitutes a form of assault)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland