Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,870,932 times

Advertisements

[quote=pch1013;26171047][quote=honobob;26168849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
But the tide is turning against them; most people in the neighborhood are absolutely fed up with them and wish they'd go somewhere else, and our Supervisor has been receiving so many complaints (such as naked men with erections lurking outside the local elementary school) that he's said he wouldn't be opposed to a citywide nudity ban.

Scott Wiener, who else?
Ha Ha, made you say Weener!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 03:52 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,456,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard8 View Post
(now, obviously being aroused in front of school children is a different scenario and constitutes a form of assault)
That's just it. There's a fine line between nudism and exhibitionism, and some of the guys who hang out in the Castro are unquestionably crossing it. As Ceece pointed out above, some people just like to see how much they can get away with, thus ruining things for everyone.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Not judgmental or uptight at all. I'll expose myself in a consensual manner to people that actually want to see me. But what gives you the right to expose your penis and arse to strangers that just happen to be walking down the street here? I don't want to see it and I don't know any other native San Franciscans that think it's alright to do. It never was. Get the notion out of your head that this is what people do here. Save it for one of our fetish fairs, the nude beach, or go be nude in your own house like the rest of us.

Well to arguments like this I say: You CHOSE to reside in SF. The practice has been around for a long time, probably before you moved here/where born. Why come to a place then try to change it? You don't want nudes, go live in Utah

Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Well to arguments like this I say: You CHOSE to reside in SF. The practice has been around for a long time, probably before you moved here/where born. Why come to a place then try to change it? You don't want nudes, go live in Utah

Nope. Where do people get these ideas?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Um, no.

I don't know how old you are but I am FROM San Francisco. Went to elementary, middle,high school AND college there. My kids are also natives and I still have family, friends, etc there.

Nude people didn't walk around or sit around on benches on busy corners...even in the Castro. This a fairly new issue. There are plenty of places around the country and state for this. There's a time and place for guys to run around nude...Folsom St Fair, Bay to Breakers, etc. We have events for this. Everyone's on board and we can choose to not participate. We cannot choose to NOT participate in seeing some guy wearing a coc* ring while eating his sandwich on a public bench on one of the busiest intersections in the City.

It's not about these folks' freedom to walk around nude, it's about exhibitionism. Also, NONE of these exhibitionists are from here. They blow in and think they suddenly own the place despite 90% of other folks not being on board.

You don't like what the majority of San Franciscans want, YOU move back to Utah.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
This a fairly new issue.
Specifically, it dates to 2009, when Jane Warner Plaza was opened. And actually the nudists didn't really start showing up en masse until a year or so later. I've spoken to several long-time Castro residents and they all agree that the aggressive widespread (sorry for the visual there) exhibitionism is a new thing.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM

16 posts, read 48,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Specifically, it dates to 2009, when Jane Warner Plaza was opened. And actually the nudists didn't really start showing up en masse until a year or so later. I've spoken to several long-time Castro residents and they all agree that the aggressive widespread (sorry for the visual there) exhibitionism is a new thing.
Honey, if you think nudism in sf only dates back to 2009 you've gotta 'nother thing coming. The proposed law is ridiculous and i invite everyone who believes in free expression to protest.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilan View Post
Honey, if you think nudism in sf only dates back to 2009 you've gotta 'nother thing coming. The proposed law is ridiculous and i invite everyone who believes in free expression to protest.
And you know this how? Have you lived in the Castro for a couple of decades like the people I've spoken to who say it's a new phenomenon?

And if you think it's so ridiculous to enforce the most basic standards of public decency, I suggest you start agitating for public nudity in your hometown and let SF make its own decisions. We still have places and events where you can let your willy fly free. Does your city?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilan View Post
Nudism has existed...and nudists like to go to areas where it's totally accepted (like Muir Beach, Baker Beach, our Folsom St Fair, Bay to Breakers etc).

You're describing exhibitionism (like you've already stated in your OP) and that's never been accepted as a normal part of society. It's a fetish. It's not about being nude. It's about showing yourself to strangers for some reaction.

I actually have some friends in Connecticut that are into nudism and they have this place where they bring their family including three kids to "feel free and natural". They wouldn't dare force people in their town to look at them.

If you wanna show your genitals to random strangers in YOUR city see what happens to you. Sorry to inform you yet again, but most San Franciscans are very glad this law passed and you have no right to tell the locals what they should think. Even the residents of one of the renowned gay districts don't want to see it when eating their sandwiches at lunch.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
You're describing exhibitionism (like you've already stated in your OP) and that's never been accepted as a normal part of society. It's a fetish. It's not about being nude. It's about showing yourself to strangers for some reaction.
Yep. For the Castro nudists, it's not just about being naked -- it's about desperately wanting to be SEEN naked. Big difference.

And because a few selfish retired baby-boomers can't control their exhibitionistic impulses, now we will soon have a citywide nudity ban.

As I said in an email to the Board of Supervisors yesterday:

If nudity is banned in public areas, there will still be places (Baker/Marshall Beach) and events (Folsom Street Fair) where those who wish to indulge their desire for nudity will still be able to do so. As with all laws governing public behavior, community standards should prevail. That's why same-sex couples are -- and should continue to be -- tolerated and celebrated in the Castro, But up until quite recently, the Castro was never a neighborhood that tolerated complete nudity; this has now been imposed upon us by people from outside the neighborhood taking advantage of our reputation for tolerance. This behavior would never be tolerated in the Mission or the Bayview or Chinatown or the Richmond; why don't Castro residents also deserve to enjoy a reasonable standard of public decency? Why should those of us who find nudity objectionable or distressing (for example, survivors of sexual abuse) have to modify our routines to avoid Jane Warner Plaza on sunny days? Why is this burden being placed on us, and us alone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland