Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM

28 posts, read 49,554 times

Advertisements

Yeah I guess its all relative. I forgot some people actually like mild weather.
I must say, for me the fall and winter are fine in SF. It is the spring and summer that I find to be a bit too dreary. But year round it is not too cold, not too hot, which is perfect for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
I agree totally with the ratings. Weather is the biggest drawback in SF but everything else makes up for it. This is actually rare that a ranking makes sense because they usually pick up some small conservative towns with low cost of housing and good schools with absolutely nothing to do but going to church on Sundays! Plano, TX and Sugarland, TX always are top ranking and they are both horrible. Cost of living in SF is a non-issue because you get what you pay for! This is not a city for the poor and middle class.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I'm visiting North Carolina at the moment. The neighborhoods are beautiful, housing is incredibly affordable, going out to eat costs half of what it costs in the Bay Area
SF and Berkeley has plenty of cheap restaurants. But Chilis and Applebee's would be cheaper than average sit-down restaurant in SF. However, produce/fruits are much cheaper in CA and cost of eating healthy in home is pretty low.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
You are 100% correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I agree totally with the ratings. Weather is the biggest drawback in SF but everything else makes up for it. This is actually rare that a ranking makes sense because they usually pick up some small conservative towns with low cost of housing and good schools with absolutely nothing to do but going to church on Sundays! Plano, TX and Sugarland, TX always are top ranking and they are both horrible. Cost of living in SF is a non-issue because you get what you pay for! This is not a city for the poor and middle class.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Coming from Houston, my take on the weather in SF is this:

-6-7 months of what Houstonians call Spring - cool, sunny days and chilly nights. No rain. Perfect festival and outdoor weather.
-then, 3 months of what Houston calls Fall - moderate days, cool nights. Can go from shorts and a t-shirt to a light sweater in the space of a couple of days and back again, but in general, it's very pleasant.
-followed by 2-3 months of what Houston calls Winter. Cold and damp. Rain, not frost or ice, though.

Even with the rainy season, this town looks great in rain. Crappy weather? You have to be kidding. In the Avenues or Pacifica, maybe--they go for weeks in the fog, but at least they are cool and comfortable. Here, east of Divis. and north of Market we stay mostly sunny and in the 60s all summer long, with a nice warm up in September, October an November, before cruising into low 50s and rainy for our winter. Try a summer in Hoston's Hou-midity. It's like the crotch of your underwear, only smellier.

SF has clean, crisp air and a nice sea breeze year-round. It never storms here.it doesn't even rain at all 9-10 months of the year. And yet, drought is mitigated by evening fog, which also cools the air off. It's truly amazing. To a Texan, there is nothing like feeling warm sunshine contrast with a cool breeze. It just doesn't happen there. We also don't ever see skies as clear as SF's. Texas rain comes in floods and damaging thunderstorms. No so here, where rain is gentle...almost polite.

Seriously, anyone who thinks SF weather is crappy mus live in some amazing utopia. I can't imagine more agreeable, invigorating, beautiful weather tailor made for urban living. It is honestly a daily delight to go outside in San Francisco.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 PM

630 posts, read 994,095 times
I personally think the best cities are NY, Chi, SF, LA, Portland and Seattle being tied with Boston and San Diego

Runner up

Miami/Denver

Old 10-21-2012, 01:33 PM

224 posts, read 454,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
this one right here.

San Francisco Is America's Best City in 2012 - Businessweek

Or at least it's the best place to live for people who read Business Week.

Take that, Los Angeles (#50), San Diego (#9), Seattle (#2), Portland (#5) and New York (#7)!
LOL that's a funny list. Los Angeles is the **** if you make decent money. They have beaches, urban areas, happening places, museums, and plenty of places open in the middle of the night. And Seattle #2? Hahaha I've been there on interviews more than once and I could have lived like a baller on that salary but still decided against it because I didn't want to live in that godforsaken, rainy, depressing place.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post
LOL that's a funny list. Los Angeles is the **** if you make decent money. They have beaches, urban areas, happening places, museums, and plenty of places open in the middle of the night. And Seattle #2? Hahaha I've been there on interviews more than once and I could have lived like a baller on that salary but still decided against it because I didn't want to live in that godforsaken, rainy, depressing place.
I think part of what makes this article inaccurate is they try to encompass L.A into a "single entity" when L.A is so many different areas since it's spread out.

I mean, how can you compare West LA to East LA? It's like two completely different worlds.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I think part of what makes this article inaccurate is they try to encompass L.A into a "single entity" when L.A is so many different areas since it's spread out.

I mean, how can you compare West LA to East LA? It's like two completely different worlds.
So should they give LA some special treatment and leave out its bad parts or something? Perhaps LA being so "spread out" is part of the problem.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:11 PM

224 posts, read 454,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post

Yeah, I mean West LA is a great place and East LA is like SF. Just kidding.....

The people in East LA are better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland