Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:17 AM

404 posts, read 860,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Hey, someone else noticed! FWIW, I asked that years ago & was told exactly that. Supposedly a Cali flag flies in (I've forgotten exactly where) TX.
PS - for fun, note that it's pretty visible in one of the "Dirty Harry" movies!
Come to think of it they did have a Clint Eastwood marathon during the Labor Day Weekend on U-Verse and sure enough I saw the Texas Flag again on one of those Dirty harry Thriller's.

As soon as I get a hold of a California Flag I will fly it next to my 49ER Flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
The flag was placed there by the veterans of foreign wars.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 AM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty 98 View Post
I know what the flag of Chile looks like and I know that the flag is also in that group of flags at city hall, but right next to the California State flag is the State of Texas Flag. no one hear seems to know squat, mainly because they lack observation or don't even know it's there.
Supposedly that's SF city hall...

Old 09-29-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Supposedly that's SF city hall...
By all means that is San Francisco City Hall and that is a Texas State Flag, thanks for verifying it's presence.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the link Andy, you answered my question.
Or should I say, you made my day?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 AM

101 posts, read 275,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Hey, someone else noticed! FWIW, I asked that years ago & was told exactly that. Supposedly a Cali flag flies in (I've forgotten exactly where) TX.
PS - for fun, note that it's pretty visible in one of the "Dirty Harry" movies!
Yes, I've noticed it many times and have read the plaque underneath the flag. Can't remember what it says of course, but I have also been under the impression that it was because of the Mexico/Republic connection and/or that Texas sent some of their men to help fight Mexico. ???

Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
Frankly, given the similarity between the flags of Texas and Chile, it wouldn't surprise me if someone used the former's flag when they intended to use the latter's.

And, just as a curious fact, one of the founders of Oakland, John Coffee Hayes, does have a Texas connection. During the 1840s, he led Texas Rangers in conflicts with native american tribes (notably Comanches) in the 1840s. After that, he was elected sheriff of San Francisco County in 1850. If your'e interested in that page of history, here's a starting point: Battle of Bandera Pass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,731 times
Default Not Sure, But...

I had always heard, and I believe that the plaque by the Texas flag pole in the Civic Center, states as much; that the red star on the California flag (which dates to June 1846, and the Bear Flag Revolt, as such, in Sonoma--(which was run by the very Pro American Mexican official, Mariano Vallejo) represents Texas.

However, recent online research indicates that the red star that William Todd (cousin of Mary Todd Lincoln) used refers not to the Lone Star of Texas, but the Lone Star flag of an earlier anti-Mexican-rule revolt in Monterey, where participants drew a five pointed red star on a white background.

The flags in the Civic Center are all US and California centric, pointing to major periods of various US symbols of independence,, and California history.

Perhaps no one has substantially debunked the Texas link to the California flag.

But, on the other hand, it's worth noting that another US flag there is listed as the first official US flag, dated well after all the Founding Fathers had died, significant due to the folks who want to make a religious icon of the US flag, when the Founding Fathers clearly did not have an official US flag, and many considered such an emblem useful only in foreign adventures, which most of them wanted the new Republic to eschew.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:10 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
The 18 flags of San Francisco’s Civic Center Plaza | parker higgins dot net

This link speculates: "The original California Bear Flag, which is much simpler than the modern version. Both, however, include a bear and a star, and that star comes from an earlier flag called the California Lone Star Flag, flown during a failed rebellion in 1836. The name and star are said to be inspired by Texas, so maybe that’s why that state got included."

Old 05-23-2014, 10:44 AM

308 posts, read 467,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty 98 View Post
It never makes much sense to have two cities on the same forum,
I disagree. I am interested in the Bay Area. I interact with the Bay Area on a daily basis, work in SF, live in the Eastbay, frequently down in the South Bay. I wouldn't want it to be so segmented where I have to view multiple forums.

It was a couple years before I even realized that San Jose had its own forum. I just assumed it was under the SF/Oakland Bay Area forum. And even when I became aware, I never go into the San Jose Forum although if their related posts were in this one, I would be interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland