U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 PM

29 posts, read 30,795 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the info. We are caucasian but diversity is absolutely not only welcomed but desired in a place that we are to reside. My husband and I spent the day in Noe Valley today and LOVED the people and the open, "come as you are" attitude and kid friendly nature of the place. If we could move the young, Noe Valley families to Danville now THAT would be utopia. Just am not sure we are up to urban living with a child in tow- no matter how kid friendly it may seem. It's just not really what I pictured at this point in my life as I lived in the city for 2 years right when I graduated college. Don't really see a need to go back but seeing people our age with babies and not 40+ with babies was nice. Hmmm what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 11:22 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,551,916 times
Why not Piedmont then?

It's close enough to urban Oakland, but sort of a bubble in that it doesn't have the crime/problems that Oakland gets a bad rap for...

Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 12,275,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Why not Piedmont then?

It's close enough to urban Oakland, but sort of a bubble in that it doesn't have the crime/problems that Oakland gets a bad rap for...
Piedmont is pretty great if you can afford it.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 AM

10,413 posts, read 13,957,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The way my dad's friend tells it, Blackhawk is affluent in the same way Brentwood or Discovery Bay was marketed as affluent early in the 2000s. You have a "nice" place, that is surprisingly affordable since it is in Timbuktu. Kinda like affordable luxury, available at a fraction of the cost of the luxury available closer into the core of the Bay Area. It went fro let's call it tier 2 affluent to tier 1 affluent.

As more stuff started moving to that section of the region, it began to no longer seem like Timbuktu.
I don't really agree with that assessment at all. I would never say Brentwood or Discovery Bay is similar to Blackhawk at all and I don't know anyone who would either. IMO, Brentwood is seen as being nicer alternative to Antioch with less crime and ghettoness. Discovery Bay mainly strikes me as a place for people who want a boat slip and direct access to the Delta and that lifestyle. Neither of these are anything like Blackhawk.

Blackhawk has never been "affordable" in my lifetime. One may get a new, bigger house for the money compared to places like Palo Alto (i.e. a McMansion) but it has never been marketed as "affordable luxury" like the new developments out by Brentwood. Blackhawk has been solidly upper middle class to wealthy since I've first moved to the immediate area in the early 90's. If you think single family homes were going for $200K in Danville before the most recent real estate boom then you really don't get how affluent and pricey the area is and has been for a while. $200K might have gotten you a townhouse in Walnut Creek in the mid-90's.

Also you keep referring to Blackhawk and Danville as "Timbuktu" and have in the past and I really don't know why. These areas are not far from all the amenities along the 680 corridor and you don't need to leave the area at all for your needs really. From WC down to Pleasanton the area offers more than enough retail and dining. Lots of jobs in WC, San Ramon, and Pleasanton areas. SF has the jobs too and the big cities amenities but places like Oakland and Berkeley are not really on people's radar out here as those areas don't offer anything that can't be found out here in the outer East Bay.

Really Danville and Blackhawk haven't added much aside from more retail and dining to go along with the population growth. Those areas are still dependent on places like WC and Pleasanton for jobs and additional amenities.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:18 AM

If the OP is looking for warmer climate and space compared to the Peninsula, Piedmont would not be a good place to look at all for that.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:45 AM

5,245 posts, read 6,893,240 times
If you move somewhere with good public schools it's going to be suburban and kind of bland, that's the price you pay. Alameda and Albany are pretty much the two main urbane/urbanish towns in the East Bay with pretty good schools. They're cheaper than say Burlingame but are still fairly pricey depending on your budget. Piedmont is in a great location but is really wealthy and expensive, like million dollars for a shack expensive.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Blackhawk has never been "affordable" in my lifetime. One may get a new, bigger house for the money compared to places like Palo Alto (i.e. a McMansion) but it has never been marketed as "affordable luxury" like the new developments out by Brentwood. Blackhawk has been solidly upper middle class to wealthy since I've first moved to the immediate area in the early 90's.
Affordable compared to places like Los Gatos. Affordable in my book isn't a euphemism for cheap. I meant cheaper/better value than the alternatives. It is a nice area, but used to be fairly cheap for bay area prices and now it is just about the same as everywhere else price wise.

Quote:
Also you keep referring to Blackhawk and Danville as "Timbuktu" and have in the past and I really don't know why. These areas are not far from all the amenities along the 680 corridor and you don't need to leave the area at all for your needs really.
The 680 cooridor is close to the 680 cooridor. Timbuktu if your world revolves around the Peninsula or South Bay. Many people in the Peninsula don't even know it exists. When my family friend moved there in the early 90s, his work revolved around the south bay and all of his friends thought he was moving to the outer lands. If you can stay mostly in the Tri Valley for work you don't have a reason to leave you can be sefl contained. It is hard to get to points on the 880 or 280 or 101 cooridors from over there.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Affordable compared to places like Los Gatos. Affordable in my book isn't a euphemism for cheap. I meant cheaper/better value than the alternatives. It is a nice area, but used to be fairly cheap for bay area prices and now it is just about the same as everywhere else price wise.
It was never "cheap" at all, you just get more square footage for the price. A $2 million dollar house is still $2 million whether or not it's 2,000 sq ft or 4,000 sq ft.
Quote:
The 680 cooridor is close to the 680 cooridor. Timbuktu if your world revolves around the Peninsula or South Bay. Many people in the Peninsula don't even know it exists. When my family friend moved there in the early 90s, his work revolved around the south bay and all of his friends thought he was moving to the outer lands. If you can stay mostly in the Tri Valley for work you don't have a reason to leave you can be sefl contained. It is hard to get to points on the 880 or 280 or 101 cooridors from over there.
This is why Danville and Blackhawk have never really been 'Timbuktu', it's never been far from the 680 coridor and it's amenities. The way you describe it here is not the same context you were using "Timbuktu" earlier at all.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 AM

25,621 posts, read 17,171,618 times
Quote:
I think part of the reason Danville and Blackhawk got so snooty (and Pleasanton) is because they jumped from Cowtown/Timbuktu to "affluent" in a matter of 3 or 4 years during the real estate boom. Some people got a big head" for lake of a better term because i 2 weeks their neighborhood went from a place with $200k homes to super desirable with $800k-$1M homes.

A family friend left Alamden Valley or so in San Jose for Blackhawk in the late 80s. His neighborhood changed a lot in the early 2000s, and he was less happy, because people became less friendly. I also find the non-white families (no matter hat type) have wildly different experiences fitting in as well. I don't think you mentioned you ethnicity, but the feedback I got from friends around my age who grew up other the, is that they felt left out: indian, asian, whatever. It might be better now, but who knows.
That may be your impression but it's not true. THese places have been nice for a loooooooong time, and there has been more than one housing boom over the last 30 years, which was the last time anything around here was considered "cowtown".

Utopia doesn't exist. There is nothing wrong with Danville or any of the places listed in this thread. I don't think diversity is something to worry about, things are diversifying all the time.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That may be your impression but it's not true. THese places have been nice for a loooooooong time, and there has been more than one housing boom over the last 30 years, which was the last time anything around here was considered "cowtown".
I find it funny that everyone perceives my perception of the the places being a little "far" as code word for crappy. Personally I feel the 680 corridor is a little disconnected from other areas of the Bay. "Timbuktu" is you will. This doesn't mean unpleasant, or sketchy or whatever else. Alamo feels pretty rural too me. Many of those Danville communities have wild turkeys walking around. Norris Canyon Road has cowboys. It definitely has a more rural feeling than many places in the Bay Area. Except for a few places on the edges of San Jose, in the Santa Cruz mountains.....

My family friend moved over to Blackhawk in the early 90s because where he lived in San Jose started feeling too big and he wanted something quieter.

Quote:
Utopia doesn't exist. There is nothing wrong with Danville or any of the places listed in this thread. I don't think diversity is something to worry about, things are diversifying all the time.
Well it really depends on your vantage point, for me it is pretty important. Maybe if you are white you don't have to worry about it. I spent a lot of time growing up as the only black face in my class.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland