U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 PM

10,407 posts, read 13,949,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I find it funny that everyone perceives my perception of the the places being a little "far" as code word for crappy. Personally I feel the 680 corridor is a little disconnected from other areas of the Bay. "Timbuktu" is you will. This doesn't mean unpleasant, or sketchy or whatever else. Alamo feels pretty rural too me. Many of those Danville communities have wild turkeys walking around. Norris Canyon Road has cowboys. It definitely has a more rural feeling than many places in the Bay Area. Except for a few places on the edges of San Jose, in the Santa Cruz mountains.....
That's not how I perceived your comment at all and I didn't see anyone else claiming that either. You made a comment that before the real estate boom Danville was some "cowtown" where you could get a home for $200K then all of a suddenly prices shot up and it was considered affluent. That is completely wrong, Danville has always been considered affluent and exclusive in my lifetime. Same with Blackhawk. Your perception of the area in that regard is just pretty off base there.

You've never lived in this area and yet I see you chiming in on threads on the area all the time and sometimes you get really specific for someone who hasn't actually lived out here and are off base many times. You have this very Oakland-Berkeley centric mindset and imho it really doesn't do a good job at representing the outer East Bay well.

Also I work in Concord right by Waterworld next to 242 and live across the street from PH BART, those areas also have wild turkeys running around. Neither area is "rural" though or like Alamo.

Last edited by sav858; 10-01-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 PM

17,325 posts, read 12,259,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's not how I perceived your comment at all and I didn't see anyone else claiming that either. You made a comment that before the real estate boom Danville was some "cowtown" where you could get a home for $200K then all of a suddenly prices shot up and it was considered affluent. That is completely wrong, Danville has always been considered affluent and exclusive in my lifetime. Same with Blackhawk. Your perception of the area in that regard is just pretty off base there.

You've never lived in this area and yet I see you chiming in on threads on the area all the time and sometimes you get really specific for someone who hasn't actually lived out here and are off base many times. You have this very Oakland-Berkeley centric mindset and imho it really doesn't do a good job at representing the outer East Bay well.

Also I work in Concord right by Waterworld next to 242 and live across the street from PH BART, those areas also have wild turkeys running around. Neither area is "rural" though or like Alamo.
My parents lived in Dublin for 10 years (my sister for 4, me for 2) so my accounts are second hand accounts and shaped by any of my experiences visiting there and short stint living there. And my dad had an office in San Ramon (as well as Lafayette) in the 80s! And then worked in downtown Concord for about a year in the late 90s. So obviously I haven't spent as much time there as I have Oakland and Berkeley, but you are a little off base in your perception of my experiences. My parents chose the Tri-Valley specifically since I felt a lot more small town and more "rural" (in their eyes, this means less development and more space) than the other suburbs in the Bay Area. I think for some people here, rural has a horrible negative connotation, and my choice of words feels a little insulting, as if it is a euphemism for "backwards." (Dublin did have a lot of cows when my family first moved there though! I always thought it was pretty amusing)

We all have differing opinions and perspectives on what places are like shaped by our own experiences, but some people act like I can't chime in on the "outer east bay" because I chose to settle in Oakland.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think for some people here, rural has a horrible negative connotation, and my choice of words feels a little insulting, as if it is a euphemism for "backwards." (Dublin did have a lot of cows when my family first moved there though! I always thought it was pretty amusing)
Perhaps that may be true for some but I didn't think you were insulting the area at all really. You just just said some things that aren't really true as far as the history of Danville and Blackhawk.

Quote:
We all have differing opinions and perspectives on what places are like shaped by our own experiences, but some people act like I can't chime in on the "outer east bay" because I chose to settle in Oakland
Of course and I apologize if what I said came off as me suggesting you, or anyone else for that matter, shouldn't chime in on areas that don't or haven't spent much time living in. A different persective can be helpful many times. I am just sometimes a bit surprised in some of the details you, and others too, can go into sometimes. But it happens all the time, particularly with Oakland obviously. Either way it usually leads to some discourse where someone can learn something or at the very least get a different persepctive.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM

4,579 posts, read 4,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmith825 View Post
Thanks all for the info. We are caucasian but diversity is absolutely not only welcomed but desired in a place that we are to reside. Hmmm what to do?
Well I can tell you this much, the 680 corridor is pretty much about as white as it gets after Marin. There is pretty much no diversity to speak of, unless you count Concord. Which most of the people in surrounding communities consider ghetto and a red-headed step child of sorts.

Of course most of these people have never actually been to a real ghetto so take it with a grain of salt.

I would suggest the Berkeley Hills or perhaps Alameda. Reasonably safe,interesting, semi-affluent areas. The weather is a bit cooler and so are the people, IMO. Piedmont is good enough, but diversity there seems to mean white or jewish. Not very diverse by east bay standards, but certainly more diverse than Danville town.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmith825 View Post
My husband and I are young professionals in our late 20's and early 30's. We planned to move to Danville within the year as we plan to have kids within 2 years, love the warm weather, access to trails, great schools and all the house you get for your money vs where we live now in the peninsula.

And if not Danville, does anyone else have a suggestion for a place we can call home? We've thought of Walnut Creek, Campbell, or Cambrian, Almaden and Willow Glen in San Jose area (most of those lack excellent schools though). Thanks for ANY info you can provide!
If warm weather and bigger homes are important to you I really would not look west of the Caldecott Tunnel at all. Depending on where you are on the Penninsula the weather will likely be the same or colder. Also you don't get as much house for the money and unless you're in the hills won't have as good access to trails.

If Danville is too much of a wealthy bubble type place for you I think Walnut Creek would be a better fit. Also being next to Concord does expose you to more diversity. Yeah its middle to lower middle class but a decent town overall. I like being able to go Mexican supermarkets, Ranch 99, Seafood City, and the good ethnic eateries in the area. I did not think WC kids are that snooty at all, especially compared to Danville. Everyone that I grew up with are very well grounded.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 PM

7,615 posts, read 10,644,758 times
Back in 1988 when I workin in San Ramon at Bay View, Blackhawk was where some Oakland A's players lived. It's NEVER been like Discovery Bay... although like most developements there are "less expensive" parts of Blackhawk... but it's always been high end living.

With a ton of wind, from what I hear. Knew someone who knew someone who lived there, and her wrought iron patio furniture crashed through the French doors into her dining room one night from the wind.

I can remember how small Dublin when we moved here.... and how so it isn't now. Just amazing. That whole corridor was more like where I grew up -- I called it suburban rural.... now it's just suburban.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM

8 posts, read 5,430 times
Ever think of Pleasanton or Livermore. Houses are just as big in parts, schools are just as good, slightly more diverse, closer to San Jose and a lot less snooty, imo.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 AM

94 posts, read 26,465 times
To OP:

If you can afford it, by all means move out to Danville. I've lived here for 20 years since 1993 and went through elementary, middle, and high school here. It's a great place to live. Yes, it's kind of like a white bubble (I was born in Taiwan and sometimes in my classes my brother and I would be the only Asians) but it's extremely safe. The school district is great, and while the town gets kind of boring after 8pm, Walnut Creek is a short ride away with BART and access to SF/Oakland.

As for cliques? I didn't see much during my school years here. It's like any quiet suburb. There's barely any crime and the biggest news is a broken traffic light on Sycamore Valley Blvd. The recently opened Rose Garden off highway 680 seem to be a nightspot for young and upcoming professionals. But seriously though. If you're thinking of raising kids, Danville (and by extension, any city with schools in the San Ramon Valley School District) should be your top choice. SRVSD is one of the best in the state, perhaps in the nation.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 AM

4 posts, read 4,127 times
I live in Danville and raise my two kids here (8 and 4). I don't get the diversity people talk about. I see lots of Europeans, South Americans, Asians and Indians here. Not many blacks or Hispanics though, but I take it diversity doesn't mean skin *color* but say, language or background? I just found out that my 8 year old best friend's mother speaks French too, how's that for diversity? (she's from Canada). It's great for to practice my French.

When I lived in Walnut Creek, I didn't find that. Diversity meant whites+hispanics. Not many Asians, fewer than Danville. Not many Indians. Not many Europeans/Canadians and South Americans (Brazilians who aren't Hispanics, but have Portuguese heritage, if you don't know) - I have seen lots of Brazilians in Danville, more than ever living years in Walnut Creek.

Plus, Danville schools are great. Walnut Creek would be my choice in my late 20/early 30s though, with one kid. When my second one came, I moved to Danville.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 AM

25,306 posts, read 33,044,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
I've been looking at Norris Canyon estates. In short, I've been told that other ethnicities in both San Ramon and Danville aren't well accepted.
The mayor of San Ramon might disagree:

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland