Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,038,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmith825 View Post
What appealed to me was all of the young families and community feeling I got when I was there. Are there any other areas in the Bay where there are lots of other young families? We love the feel of Danville- big houses, warm weather, hiking trails, etc. but most families seemed much older.
Well people everywhere in the Bay Area have kids, sometimes in their 20's, but a lot of people have kids when they're older due to the high cost of an entry level home. In terms of neighborhoods that have a kid-friendly feel, Rockridge in Oakland is definitely like that, I lived there for about 18 months and when I walked home from BART every evening there'd be tons of kids running around outside with their parents chatting with one another. Also Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill would probably work, take a trip there and see what the young family vibe seems like to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,958,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmith825 View Post
What appealed to me was all of the young families and community feeling I got when I was there. Are there any other areas in the Bay where there are lots of other young families? We love the feel of Danville- big houses, warm weather, hiking trails, etc. but most families seemed much older.
If you liked Danville, then go to Danville. If you prefer the City life, then move there. Just because you saw older people in a restaurant, doesn't at all predict who you'll ultimately make friends with. If you look around the restaurants in San Francisco, everyone seems under 30 and single/child free. Doesn't mean you won't find parents in your neighborhood when the time comes.

Most stay at home moms make friends via school situations, playgroups/classes, neighbors, through other friends, mom's groups, etc. Where there's a school, park, or volunteer opportunity there's potential , and age doesn't determine the quality of yours or your children's friendships!

There is no way you can predict who you'll meet or who you'll hit it off with. For instance, I have a family living across my street and they have kids the same age as mine---the mom is my age too! We have a lot in common...our kids are even in some of the same classes/sports programs and lo and behold, our kids all hate each other! So I could not have planned on this scenario and it's unfortunate, but I'm at peace because I'm living in a place I love despite this one thing.

You should do the same--move to a place you love, perhaps rent first to see what develops and if it's a town you want to make a home of long term. There are plenty of families in every city. I know because there are schools with children in them!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 PM

29 posts, read 74,260 times
Haha thanks everyone for the info! I really appreciate it. It was almost like a mini-therapy session, free-of-charge! Thanks again!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM

793 posts, read 1,328,510 times
Citi-data's telling me to spread the reps around, so I'll say it here....Clongirl's right again.
(I also laughed a little bit about the family across the street.)

You know what they say about the best laid plans.... I used to have my life all planned out. Boy, was I in for a surprise! You don't know when you'll have children or how many you'll have. Financial situations change too. One never knows.

At this point in your life, enjoy that you can be a little more carefree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland