Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It's a strange fact, but there is no significant Crips presence in the Bay Area. The Crips, after all, are one of the most widespread gangs in America, C-Walking through neighborhoods in major cities and small towns from San Diego to the Bronx.

The story of how this happened is filled with apocrypha and speculation. There is no official record, just gang lore passed down from O.G.s to young bucks. While some former local gang members have their own analyses, they all tell variations on the same narrative.

It all started in South Central Los Angeles in the late 1970s. Born from the ashes of the disintegrating Black Panthers, the Crips were forged by poverty, anger, ambition, and a desire to protect the community from police brutality. The gang spread quickly, as visiting friends carried the culture back to their own cities and original members relocated to initiate branches elsewhere.

The Crips made a move to San Francisco in the early '80s, a small group of them setting up shop in Bayview-Hunters Point. The recruitment pitch was simple: We're here to take over; join our growing drug empire and make some money.
Read the rest here

[URL]http://www.sfweekly.com/2012-09-26/news/crips-gangs-sfpd-bloods-bayview-hunters-point[/URL]

what do you think of this article? i think there's a couple of things the author said that are debatable, but it's an interesting read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Meanwhile, Sureños doing the same **** in the same color...

Old 10-04-2012, 12:35 AM

506 posts, read 1,154,587 times
Yeah, I don't know what actually happened, but that's pretty funny. Seems plausible enough.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Like many, they probably can't afford to live in SF either.

In many visits to Missouri, I've heard much complaining about CA exporting it's Crips and Bloods to places like Kansas City and St. Louis.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 AM

14,681 posts, read 14,645,402 times
They're also a huge problem in New Jersey and even NYC. It's sad how easy it is to divide ghetto youth along arbitrary lines when poverty and broken family units are involved.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Wasnt there a shooting somewhere in the Bay---a guy got shot for daring to wear red? Heard something on the radio this morning.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 AM

587 posts, read 1,411,273 times
I grew up in the heart of what might have been San Francisco's most crime-ridden Black community on Randolph Street in the Lakeview district in the southwestern part of The City in the 80's and early 90's when gang violence and drug dealing was epidemic. There were never any Bloods and Crips in Lakeview during that time period. No one ever had to worry about wearing red or blue when I was growing up. However, turf-related Starter apparel was the uniform. Kids from Lakeview donned UNLV Rebels apparel and the rival turf of the Sunnydale projects wore San Diego Padres hats and jackets. But Bloods and Crips? Definitely not. There is also not a real presence of Crips and Bloods in Oakland either.

Don't get me wrong, young Black brothers in the Bay were influenced by L.A., musically, during the 80's and 90's. Underground rappers from San Francisco and the Bay spent at least five to ten years after 1992 trying to rehash The Chronic. But to be fair, hugely successful L.A. rap artists like N.W.A. were blatantly influenced by early Bay Area rap stars like Too $hort while Snoop Dogg admittedly was influenced by Oakland rappers like Richie Rich.

There is no secret that there is a lot of pride in San Francisco and the Bay. Just like how people from SF hate the Dodgers, they also hate Bloods, Crips and Surenos. Local Black thugs from Bay Area turfs made it a mission to rid the Bay of Bloods and Crips much like how Nortenos are on a holy mission to rid the Bay and Northern California of Surenos. But the Bay has always done its own thing. Especially with the formerly mentioned avenue of music where the majority of Bay Area rappers refused to link up with major record labels despite being offered deals, regularly. This same entrepreneurial spirit was also manifested in the refusal of SF thugs to link up the Bloods and Crips.

But in terms of the streets, the ways money was made had already been well-established by the 80's. Millions of dollars easily flowed through various projects and ghettos in SF and Oakland in the 80's and early 90's. Joining the Bloods and Crips from L.A. as a business venture would not be lucrative as much drug money would be taxed by L.A. gang bangers. There is also the ghetto pride issue and block huggers in SF and Oakland would rather die than rep a street that they have never seen in Los Angeles. Thugs from San Francisco ghettos were not interested in bowing to a red or blue rag from a city 400 miles away.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 10-04-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Absolutely true. I lived in east Oakland in the mid 80's and was a teenager then. At no point was there ever any blood or crip activity. I only knew what I knew from movies and thought it was an LA thing. Then I moved to San Diego. Had a rude awakening there. Because i was a young black male, I had to very quickly learn the culture and lingo of the bloods and crips as well as colors. We think of just red and blue but green and gray are used too. Because I know that culture I can say compared to Oakland it's totally different. Many from oaklands and perhaps SF's hood would get shot and have no idea why if they were to go into the wrong neighborhood in SD either for what they're wearing or what they're saying. Likewise the blood and crop culture just doesn't jibe well up here.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Lol at how long it takes information to get down the pipeline to the mainstream media, this "news" is literally 3 decades old.

And as for why there's none in Oakland, two words: Felix Mitchell.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Lol at how long it takes information to get down the pipeline to the mainstream media, this "news" is literally 3 decades old.

And as for why there's none in Oakland, two words: Felix Mitchell.
Yep Felix! He permanent set the tone for the street drug and gang culture throughout this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland