Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Honestly in a way, I dont mind that people make assumptions on the entire city of Oakland and the East Bay based on their drive on 880.
One has to live in or be familiar with Oakland to appreciate the humor in this post lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas is only OK View Post
I wish some of you guys had answered a post that I put up long ago when I was planning my vacation. I had been saying that I knew nothing of the area, and it was looking more and more like I could not afford SF, and wanted to know if Oak (or surrounding) would be a reasonable alternative. I got very few responses and the ones I did get were not positive toward Oak in the least. I wish I had known about Richmond and others that you guys mentioned. Would have saved me a couple bucks and drive time. Oh well.
Also, I wasn't implying that Oak "looks" like Haiti. I don't believe that is what I said. I believe that I said that how could two sides of the same thing be so different? I could have easily used a comparison of twins- one prettier than the other- or something else that was two things similar but different. The Haiti/DR thing was just the first thing I thought of. My writing skills are definitely not that of Hemingway, but could any of us use some reading comprehension skills as well? Or manners, for that matter?
Am I a world traveler? No. Did I see all of Oak or SF? No.
Opinions are like a----les, I understand that. I think when/if you guys come to DFW, and you post on that forum how flat, and hot (or cold, depending), and windy and how many bugs, etc, I would not freak out and tell you to work on your writing skills. I would consider it an opinion, and leave it.
And finally, if I was not successful in getting this across in my original post, let me say again that I would move to NorCal in a heartbeat, right along with games in the colliseum, and Candlestick, and At&t, and trash on the streets, and I would love every minute of it. How is THAT offensive???
When we read your post what we're seeing is someone with a very narrow view of things. You did compare it to Haiti so no back tracking please. This is offensive considering Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere. From what I know of TX it's hot flat and stupid. Is this fair? Also as rah Sid there are pRts of SF that would scare the **** out of you, some blocks worse than any in Oakland.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
When I read your post, I knew you were going to get bombarded by the OC (Oakland Crew) on this forum, even though you were polite. You can't say your opinion about Oakland unless you loved it.

It's reality, you can't compare San Francisco as a whole to Oakland as a whole. It's no coincidence that there are so many jokes from normal people to comedians about crossing the bridge into Oakland and feeling like you should roll your windows up. Granted, these are exaggerations, but still this is reality.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
When I read your post, I knew you were going to get bombarded by the OC (Oakland Crew) on this forum, even though you were polite. You can't say your opinion about Oakland unless you experienced (a good portion of) it.
I am going to rephrase this for you ...

No one cares if you comment on Oakland. It is the ill-informed comments based only on You Tube videos, a trip to the airport and surrounding blocks or that trip to your drug dealer on International that cause problems.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
It's no coincidence that there are so many jokes from normal people to comedians about crossing the bridge into Oakland and feeling like you should roll your windows up. Granted, these are exaggerations, but still this is reality.
This "reality" being: Unsubstantiated fear and paranoia of exaggerated descriptions of a town? Not sure an accurate portrayal of a place can be made based on "so many jokes from normal people to comedians."

Old 10-12-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am going to rephrase this for you ...

No one cares if you comment on Oakland. It is the ill-informed comments based only on You Tube videos, a trip to the airport and surrounding blocks or that trip to your drug dealer on International that cause problems.
So any person that drives through Oakland shouldn't make any comments on this forum?

Many people judge a city while driving through. Seeing the buildings, landscaping along the freeway, quality of the roads are factors in determining a person's initial impression. That's why many cities that need tourism make their freeways and streets full of landscaping (example Orlando, FL). The OP even said they only saw the area between the Bay Bridge and Coliseum, so it's full disclosure. No need for the OP to be attacked by the OC.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
This "reality" being: Unsubstantiated fear and paranoia of exaggerated descriptions of a town? Not sure an accurate portrayal of a place can be made based on "so many jokes from normal people to comedians."
I think you misunderstood me.

"It's reality" refers to, the reality is Oakland has a very negative image across the US and internationally. Even my friends from Australia ask if Oakland really the most dangerous city in the US.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
So any person that drives through Oakland shouldn't make any comments on this forum?

Many people judge a city while driving through. Seeing the buildings, landscaping along the freeway, quality of the roads are factors in determining a person's initial impression. That's why many cities that need tourism make their freeways and streets full of landscaping (example Orlando, FL). The OP even said they only saw the area between the Bay Bridge and Coliseum, so it's full disclosure. No need for the OP to be attacked by the OC.
You can make observations. But don't expect to get a full pic of a city by the view from the freeway. I don't think anyone was attacking. Maybe some people were, but in reality people were clarifying why his assumptions were in correct. Considering people make incorrect assumptions about the whole of Oakland based on their experiences on two blocks, is it any wonder people come in to refute those observations as representative of the whole.

The thing is, the average Oakland criticizer refuses to belief or admit that there is more to Oakland than whatever limited view they took.

The so called "oakland crew" just chimes in to offer people a broader perspective of "the Town."

Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,827 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood me.

"It's reality" refers to, the reality is Oakland has a very negative image across the US and internationally. Even my friends from Australia ask if Oakland really the most dangerous city in the US.
Part of the reason why that negative perception of Oakland exists is because, well, people who know nothing about it spew nonsense and stereotypes about it ALL OVER THE INTERNET.

I'll go ahead and bring SF up- since so many people like to bring up Oakland when discussing SF's problems- and say that it has a reputation of being a haven for gays, the homeless, hipsters, and potheads. Anyone who's spent a reasonable amount of time in SF knows that this is an off-base, over generalization and that it shouldn't be taken very seriously. But are there elements of truth to the statement? Why, yes there are... But should we take someone's comments that's only walked a few blocks of the TL, or only been to the Castro, or only been to Haight-Ashbury, or only been to the Mission seriously? No.

Defend the OP all you want, but the fact that several people have sided with me, saying that OPs remarks were off base says something.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You can make observations. But don't expect to get a full pic of a city by the view from the freeway. I don't think anyone was attacking. Maybe some people were, but in reality people were clarifying why his assumptions were in correct. Considering people make incorrect assumptions about the whole of Oakland based on their experiences on two blocks, is it any wonder people come in to refute those observations as representative of the whole.

The thing is, the average Oakland criticizer refuses to belief or admit that there is more to Oakland than whatever limited view they took.

The so called "oakland crew" just chimes in to offer people a broader perspective of "the Town."
The OP did make observations from her experience driving from the Bay to the Coliseum. Anyone who reads her post, will understand that her exposure to Oakland is very minimal and her comments reflect only that portion of 880 and the area around the Coliseum. This is why I don't understand the ganging up because it's not like she was claiming to have gone all over Oakland and saying it looked like Haiti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland