Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I second that. If you can make the trip, head to Wine Country for a day- Sonoma County is the best imo (Napa Valley is another, but I think Sonoma is better), and the town of Healdsburg there has an awesome little downtown. Beautiful! In fact, some early Italian immigrants back in the day from Tuscany said Sonoma County reminded them of Tuscany. There is some foliage there but it won't be like the East Coast. The leaves do change color but it has a different look- I guess you can call it West Coast foliage.

Well, here is a link to a video on Sonoma County to give you a better idea. I think right now it's harvest time there so they will be having some cool events at different wineries. Fine dining is excellent there too. Book reservations in advance and check with the wineries if you need to reserve for tours around their estates (some of them have some pretty magnificent grounds). Wine tasting itself is usually just walk in.

Sonoma County Video:

Weekend Window to Sonoma Wine Country - YouTube

Top Picks:

Madrona Manor restaurant (for fine dining, one michelin star)
Jordan Vineyard & Winery
J Winery
Bella Vineyard & Wine Caves
mini cute, you sure know your stuff, I've heard lots of good things about Madrona, and I've heard great things about Bella Vineyard. I also love Sonoma County, sitting in a restaurant in Sonoma Plaza (Town Square) eating and drinking wine, is one of my versions of heaven on earth (My other is sitting in Angelino's Italian Restaurant in Sausalito, eating italian food and drinking wine).

Top Things to Do in Sonoma Valley

I also love V Sattui in St Helena (I think it's Napa County), great picnic area to eat food and drink great wine.

Napa Tasting Room, Napa Valley Winery & Wine Shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,807,201 times
As an old timer, is Lefty O'Douls still there on Geary; used to enjoy the great sandwiches
before going to a show at the Curren Theatre.

The Palace Hotel, fine dining for lunch and a feeling of Old San Francisco; what about
the De Young Museum, Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park ?

Understand the Ferry Building has good restaurants ?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:43 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,807,201 times
Muir Woods for redwoods ?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:43 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
As an old timer, is Lefty O'Douls still there on Geary; used to enjoy the great sandwiches
before going to a show at the Curren Theatre.

The Palace Hotel, fine dining for lunch and a feeling of Old San Francisco; what about
the De Young Museum, Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park ?

Understand the Ferry Building has good restaurants ?
At the Ferry Building, I love that burger joint Gott's Roadside. Originally in St Helena (Highway 29) near Napa. I go there everytime I visit San Francisco.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:08 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
yes, Lefty O'Doul's is still in business on Geary since 1958

Welcome to the Lefty O'Doul's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge in San Francisco, CA 94102 - Lefty O'Douls Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge

Old 10-17-2012, 04:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You won't really see any fall foliage unless you head way east towards the Sierra- SF is Coastal California, not the East Coast.
Dude, you live in Oakland! I took the pic below in Rockridge a couple of Autumns ago. Compared to SF there is quite a lot of seasonal foliage and flowers growing in gardens in Oakland. Part of it is that Oakland houses actually have front yards, but I guess the climate is just different enough to promote deciduous trees and daffodils and lilacs and tulips and so on. You can see those things in Golden Gate Park in SF but I think it's pretty rare to see them on the street in random peoples' front yards or gardens in SF. I don't know what the foliage/flower deal is in other Bay Area cities though, I'd imagine it's similar to Oakland's in other East Bay cities.

In any event Oakland isn't going to have the same kind of wild foliage as somewhere like New England, but if you absolutely have to see some red leaves, take BART to Rockridge, get off, and walk down a street like Shafter or Manila or Hudson.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:09 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Yes, there are trees that turn colors.

Is is like visiting Upstate NY? No

Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Dude, you live in Oakland! I took the pic below in Rockridge a couple of Autumns ago. Compared to SF there is quite a lot of seasonal foliage and flowers growing in gardens in Oakland. Part of it is that Oakland houses actually have front yards, but I guess the climate is just different enough to promote deciduous trees and daffodils and lilacs and tulips and so on.
No, the climate difference between SF and Oakland is really not that big. Certainly not to the point that Oakland can support seasonal foliage but SF cannot (lol). There are deciduous trees that change color, and daffodils, and lilacs, and tulips, and so on in SF too. And there are plenty of front yards and street trees in SF as well (though not as many as Oakland). That said, neither city has fall foliage even close to the amount you'd see on the east coast, seeing as they are coastal cities in CA and have Mediterranean climates.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Yeah.

I've had the whole NorCal/SoCal palm tree argument with people on this forum before, and it's kind of like this one. Are there deciduous trees in SF/Oakland? Yeah, but they aren't nearly as ubiquitous as on the east coast.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Look, someone asked about foliage (not the #1 thing I'd advise coming to the Bay Area to see) and I gave an answer. Again, Oakland is not rural Massachussetts, as I said. But there's a pretty big difference between SF and Oakland in terms of everyday plants. I lived in SF for 6 years and when I moved to Oakland it was really noticeable and I enjoyed seeing all the plants on the lawns of Rockridge as I walked to and from BART. SF is mostly ficus trees and some cherry trees. That's just from what I saw of living in the Bay Area for about 8 years. You guys don't need to get all huffy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland