Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
This is so true!

When I lived there, I'd mention certain spots to Mr. Flyer (a CA native). He not only hadn't been to many of them, some of them he hadn't even heard of. He grew up in Corte Madera and told me that a trip to San Rafael was a big outing.

Huh?
Are these places next to each other? Like how far of a drive?

Quote:
Oh, and speaking of southern CA, my room-mate in college was originally from Bakersfield. I asked her how often she visited L.A. She said she'd never been there.

Seriously?
Isn't Bakersfield like upstate in the burbs somewhere? She probably hasn't. I think it's a several hour drive or something.

Pasadena is like a hop, skip and a jump over to LA by car (min. 30 minutes). Very pretty city too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 06:47 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Are these places next to each other? Like how far of a drive?

Isn't Bakersfield like upstate in the burbs somewhere? She probably hasn't. I think it's a several hour drive or something.

Pasadena is like a hop, skip and a jump over to LA by car (min. 30 minutes). Very pretty city too.
Bakersfield is over the grapevine in the central valley. 2 hour car ride or so, depending.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:56 PM

793 posts, read 1,341,155 times
...and San Rafael is 10 minutes north of Corte Madera. Woohoo.

To be fair, my husband's family did take trips out of the state, it just amazed me how little he knew about the immediate area WHERE HE GREW UP.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:12 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times

the doors people are strange - YouTube

Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,335 times
I've been surprised that some people won't leave the East Bay to go to San Francisco. One of the world's great cities so close, why wouldn't you go? But then some folks believe what the Boston brahmin lady said "Why travel when I'm already here?" But plenty of us will make the trip--there are traffic jams into the city on weekends, and BART is full.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
People drive all over the Bay Area on weekends. What's this jive about "balkanized"?! People drive across the Bay for good entertainment or to see friends, they drive to Marin for hiking or beaches, or south to Santa Cruz for the beach, people are moving around all the time.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:51 AM

470 posts, read 1,073,279 times
When we found out we were relocating to So Cal eight years ago, I emailed a colleague who I knew lived very close to the area we were looking at, and asked him about the area. His reply, "I don't know what it's like, I've never been there." After moving here, I realized he lives like three cities/towns away ... A 15 minute drive on the freeway!

After moving here, we learned that many folks that live here don't go anywhere, but right in their community.

That's just odd to us ... We go everywhere! From Bakersfield to Palm Springs ... From San Diego to Temecula ... You name it, we've been there. Well, everywhere except Disneyworld and Legoland.

And, we will do the same thing when we make it to our new home in the East Bay area! First on the to-do list is Alcatraz ... Than Napa ... Then Monterey .... Then ???

Oh, and based on this thread, I ordered two new sweaters earlier!

Merry Christmas! Jules

Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Don't stop at Napa in Wine Country. All throughout the Napa Valley are amazing towns to visit. Some of the best restaurants in the country are in Yountville. Incredible wineries and small town charm are in and around St. Helena, Calistoga etc.

Then, head over to the Sonoma Valley, for a totally different Wine Country vibe--a little more rustic and less commercialized. Sonoma is a charming town, with a fantastic town square that features restaurants, inns, bakeries, a cheese company and more. Farther north, more small towns offer quaint charm and delicious wines to try.

Eventually, you'll make your way up to Healdsburg, where the town square is filled with tasting rooms all within walking distance of one another. Plus there are fine dining restaurants and dives, alike. You'll also find some amazing shops and galleries here.

Plan on spending years exploring Wine Country. To truly get it, you'll want to make it a several-times-a-Summer (even more often in Fall) getaway. Enjoy!

Old 12-26-2012, 07:18 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Folks, we're off topic again - it's Things You Wish Someone Had Told You About SF Before You Moved.

I'm really sorry, but the Administrator is very adamant that threads must stay on topic. Please remember this is a relocation forum and people are looking for information specified in thread titles.

I appreciate your participation and cooperation.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 AM

404 posts, read 860,177 times
Considering that I had been station in the Bay Area before and it was totally weird for me; I never imagined that the second time around was going to be so much fun living in San Francisco;somebody should have told me that.
However my mother did predict that I would someday move to San Francisco and that I would Love It! she was right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland