U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM

385 posts, read 309,713 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the helpful info, Capoeira! I will enjoy spewing carbon monoxide and ozone throughout SF as I drive to SSF to spend my money there. And I actually have found the suburban stores to be better, as you suggest. I had been going to TJ's in Millbrae, but crossed that off my list when I was told about their bag charge the last time I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 PM

3,161 posts, read 4,637,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
Thanks for the helpful info, Capoeira! I will enjoy spewing carbon monoxide and ozone throughout SF as I drive to SSF to spend my money there. And I actually have found the suburban stores to be better, as you suggest. I had been going to TJ's in Millbrae, but crossed that off my list when I was told about their bag charge the last time I was there.
Yet gas is like 4.75 a gallon or so. This doesn't seem like a bargain to spend a gallon or two on gas to get where you need to go to save a FEW CENTS because you don't have a bag? Have you considered just not bothering with a bag at all? Or how about saving some cardboard boxes like they do at Costco. No biggie.

There were certainly times when I forgot my bags (in the freezing cold pissing rain and howling wind, mind you), but shoot...you just put the stuff in the cart and put in in your trunk- carry it into the house. It's really not the huge hassle that many people make of it. Relax. You'll adapt and it's not gonna kill you.

Also, I never really understood where thinking that you're owed a couple of free plastic bags to begin with? It's actually been a FREE courtesy all these years. How many times I've been given a double bagged single can of tomatoes at Safeway..... So wasteful.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 PM

385 posts, read 309,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Yet gas is like 4.75 a gallon or so. This doesn't seem like a bargain to spend a gallon or two on gas to get where you need to go to save a FEW CENTS because you don't have a bag? Have you considered just not bothering with a bag at all? Or how about saving some cardboard boxes like they do at Costco. No biggie.

There were certainly times when I forgot my bags (in the freezing cold pissing rain and howling wind, mind you), but shoot...you just put the stuff in the cart and put in in your trunk- carry it into the house. It's really not the huge hassle that many people make of it. Relax. You'll adapt and it's not gonna kill you.

Also, I never really understood where thinking that you're owed a couple of free plastic bags to begin with? It's actually been a FREE courtesy all these years. How many times I've been given a double bagged single can of tomatoes at Safeway..... So wasteful.
I enjoy the drive, as I generally don't drive during the week, and I usually will include something else I need to do in the trip, so it's generally not a waste for me. And I shop for a week's worth of groceries at a time, so I really need bags to carry my stuff up when I get home.

Anyway, much pleasure is to be had in thwarting the Nanny state whenever possible.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,899,336 times

Please, 10 cents is nothing, it's just a subtle economic reminder to bring your own bags. I brought my own bags for years in SF before they started charging.

What gets me is they've had a 10 cents paper bag law here in Long Beach for quite a while, but every restaurant here uses styrofoam for takeout. Duh! At least in the Bay Area you never see it used, and often see biodegradeable plastic containers made from corn oil.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:07 PM

6,838 posts, read 5,324,372 times
I'm okay with 10 cents per bag. It's better than driving to South San Francisco or Daly City and having to fight traffic and paying for gas.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 PM
PDF

2,288 posts, read 1,766,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
I enjoy the drive, as I generally don't drive during the week, and I usually will include something else I need to do in the trip, so it's generally not a waste for me. And I shop for a week's worth of groceries at a time, so I really need bags to carry my stuff up when I get home.

Anyway, much pleasure is to be had in thwarting the Nanny state whenever possible.
Um, so you actually haven't answered any of the questions here. You'd rather drive further and waste the gas money, just because you can't bring yourself to pay 10 cents for a bag? Or are you really that stubborn that you think paying for a bag would be like committing a crime?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 PM

25,623 posts, read 17,183,411 times
I'm not thrilled to pay more for anything, ever, but the stores have to BUY these bags and it does cost them $ so when I think about it like that I'm less annoyed.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 PM

391 posts, read 938,734 times
Resistance to change is inevitable. But I found here (in Santa Monica) I had little trouble within a few weeks remembering (or buying instead reusable bags) and just getting on with my life. What people spend on things that are bad for them in a year and how much money we are sure to lose around our lives just living...really is $.10 that big a deal?

And if it is...Bring a bag! I for one, am cool with the idea...but then again, I am a good conformist being ex-military, and liberal!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,917,616 times
Wondering how many bag manufacturing jobs this will eliminate???? The environment freaks will not stop unless we are back to living in a cave!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,917,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
It's really a "non-issue" for me, sorry to say. I lived in Europe for a few years and this is the way it's done- so I just got very used to carrying my reusable bags in the car with me (I've got tons of them so I always have a few with me in the trunk).

Even more shocking (for some of you) is that I mostly even bag my own groceries. In Europe, this is the way it's done. You also need to "pay" for your shopping cart too! You put a euro into the cart to unlock it. You really learn to slow down and live int he moment! If you want your euro back, then you bring it back to the "trolley bay" to get your euro back.

The cashiers sit down (they don't stand), and ring up your stuff and that's it. Sometimes they'll help you bag your stuff to move you along faster or if you're elderly or dealing with kids, but you generally do it yourself like in Food 4'less or similar. I guess I'm just accustomed to it nowadays so I tend to not just stand there wasting time while the line behind me backs up.

I don't think it's an issue because I'm accustomed to it, see how the roads, waterways, and landfills aren't clogged or polluted with these bags anymore (and it used to be a horrible problem where I lived), and I like getting a little added exercise to get myself out of the store a lot faster...move the line along.

I know we're not in Europe, but these kinds of things just become the norm and aren't the big deal that we make of them after a while. Change is hard but it does cause you to live in the moment a little more.
We don't necessarily need to go backward in civilization and quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland