U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2012, 03:04 PM

368 posts, read 250,305 times
I'm happy to report that the South San Francisco Trader Joe's is very nice and has convenient parking. And they don't charge for paper bags! I had a very nice drive down there and will be returning next week, no doubt. Hopefully San Francisco merchants will suffer a decrease in income due to their lack of backbone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 PM

177 posts, read 211,408 times
While I do not approve of the ten cent charge. I do understand the frustration with the litter problem plastic bags pose. They sure do blow all over the bloody place. Catching in fences, bushes etc. (I swear. They carry little GPS devices. So as to home in on my neighborhood...) But the problem I see with the ban. Is the simple fact plastic bags are just part of a larger problem. For along with the annoying flying bags. I see a lot of paper napkins, paper and plastic drink containers and other litter. Which is usually soiled and disgusting mind you. Another item that really turns my stomach? Diapers! Ps. If I had my way? I would ban newborn baby's anywhere within two thousand feet of city limits! Before banning plastic bags. I am just kidding there of course. What I have observed. Is that a lot of the dumpsters. (Including the one in the parking lot outside my apartment bldg.) Lack covers. Hence the slightest breeze just scatters the trash all over the bloody place. Helped by birds and the occasional dumpster diver. So frankly. What is really needed. Is an ordinance requiring all dumpsters have a proper cover. (I like the ones that have an opening on the side. That you can just slide the trash in. Makes it a lot easier for those with handicaps.) Or be other wise designed to not allow trash to simply be blown out by the breeze.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 PM

13,121 posts, read 23,405,339 times
I agree with the diaper problem

The hospital parking lot has waste receptacles in the lot and at every entry/exit point at the buildings.

Everyday, soiled diapers are just tossed into the lot... also contents from ashtrays and fast food wrappers...

Maybe mandating cloth diapers would solve several problems!

As to grocery bags... I generally prefer the paper bags and I use them to bag my newspapers before setting them out of collection...

The small plastic bags work well for waste can liners.

Interesting history on plastic bags... actually invented in Europe/Scandinavia and received several environmental awards for saving trees...

Also, plastic bags are available in bio degradable for a premium.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,233,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
I've generally been a liberal throughout my adult life, but the latest requirement that merchants in San Francisco charge people for paper bags is ridiculous. In response to this dumb law, I am going to drive to South San Francisco whenever possible to shop, thereby increasing pollution. I am also going to be increasing my online purchases, since I won't be jerked around about niggling charges, and my purchase will be delivered right to my doorstep. Of course, that will consume energy and cause pollution, and my order will be still be in a (free) box or bag. The law of unintended consequences strikes again!

Does anyone else think the Nanny-state mentality has gone too far?
Look, at least you guys can still purchase more than 16 oz soft drinks if you want.

I'd take a 5 cent paperbag charge over not being able to purchase a big gulp when I want to. Even though I usually don't. It's the principle.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM

8,188 posts, read 3,066,370 times
Quote:
I'm happy to report that the South San Francisco Trader Joe's is very nice and has convenient parking. And they don't charge for paper bags! I had a very nice drive down there and will be returning next week, no doubt. Hopefully San Francisco merchants will suffer a decrease in income due to their lack of backbone.
And how long was that drive? 15 miles maybe? In which case you most likely burned at least $2 worth of gas to get there and back. So unless you bought more than 20 bags of groceries, you lost money on the deal.

But hey, you deprived the SF Board of Stupidvisors of a few dimes' worth of revenue -- that'll show 'em!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 PM

1,674 posts, read 766,304 times
The UK and Europe have been encouraging the use of re-useable bags for years. I'm glad America is finally getting up with the times. In the UK you are not charged for plastic or paper bags but they give you reward points on a loyalty card for bringing your own. The rewards were significant. You could exchange reward points for vouchers for train tickets, trips to theme parks, dinner in restaurants etc etc. It was really worthwhile doing. We use to save up our for a trip to France on the Eurotunnel every year. Once you get into the habit of bringing your own bags its really not that inconvenient.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:43 PM

368 posts, read 250,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
The UK and Europe have been encouraging the use of re-useable bags for years. I'm glad America is finally getting up with the times. In the UK you are not charged for plastic or paper bags but they give you reward points on a loyalty card for bringing your own. The rewards were significant. You could exchange reward points for vouchers for train tickets, trips to theme parks, dinner in restaurants etc etc. It was really worthwhile doing. We use to save up our for a trip to France on the Eurotunnel every year. Once you get into the habit of bringing your own bags its really not that inconvenient.
Interesting ... but this isn't Europe and some of us don't like the idea of having the government micromanage every aspect of our lives.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM

177 posts, read 211,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
So why is it that here in America. We the customers pay even more. Where as in the UK. Customers get a cash reward? I would be more responsive getting a cash reward or discount. I just get mad when I have to pay yet more for already over priced necessitys!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:43 PM

6,177 posts, read 3,063,100 times
Quote:
I've generally been a liberal throughout my adult life, but the latest requirement that merchants in San Francisco charge people for paper bags is ridiculous. In response to this dumb law, I am going to drive to South San Francisco whenever possible to shop, thereby increasing pollution. I am also going to be increasing my online purchases, since I won't be jerked around about niggling charges, and my purchase will be delivered right to my doorstep. Of course, that will consume energy and cause pollution, and my order will be still be in a (free) box or bag. The law of unintended consequences strikes again!

Does anyone else think the Nanny-state mentality has gone too far?
Hummm I sense a change of political outlook.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,468,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung123 View Post
So why is it that here in America. We the customers pay even more. Where as in the UK. Customers get a cash reward? I would be more responsive getting a cash reward or discount.
You would, but most people wouldn't. That's the problem. People are more likely to react when something's taken away from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland