Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
There are cases of all kinds of filthy nastiness in various humans' clothing, among those who don't tend to hygiene. Know how to combat that? Wash your stuff.

We don't need to adorn ourselves with throwaway clothing, or luggage, or backpacks; why would we need to do so with grocery bags?
Because I fill them up before throwing them away. Don't think they won't be packaging and selling bags, both paper and plastic, for people to use. They already do. It's about $$ not anything noble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
There are cases of all kinds of filthy nastiness in various humans' clothing, among those who don't tend to hygiene. Know how to combat that? Wash your stuff.

We don't need to adorn ourselves with throwaway clothing, or luggage, or backpacks; why would we need to do so with grocery bags?
Remember when we paid a deposit on soda bottles and took them back to the store for credit or our next purchase?

A family friend was a store manager at the time and said you wouldn't believe some of the filthy bottles and cartoons people brought back... it was a public health matter when the big push was to non-returnable bottles.

Well, here we go again...

For the record... I have stopped buying groceries in the stores where the bags are no longer a courtesy.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Remember when we paid a deposit on soda bottles and took them back to the store for credit or our next purchase?

A family friend was a store manager at the time and said you wouldn't believe some of the filthy bottles and cartoons people brought back... it was a public health matter when the big push was to non-returnable bottles.

Grocery bags are a lot easier to clean than a pile of bottles - just toss them in with the laundry, which we would do anyway. Very little extra effort. Our waterways and aquatic habitats thank you.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 AM

470 posts, read 1,073,764 times
Like a ton of others, I keep washable bags in the cars and use those no matter where I shop ... Grocery, Drug stores, fabric stores, Walmart, etc. It's just not a big deal!

I also shop online a TON! I'm an Amazon Prime member and get my stuff delivered in one to two days! I also shop at Netrition and other specialty places. It's just so easy ... And .... I reuse the shipping boxes!

Although I don't remember having a guy deliver milk to the house, we did set our Charles Chip cans each week and have those replenished. That sounds so cool now! If only a company would deliver my beer to me, I'd be in heaven!

HUGz! Jules

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-07-2013 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
It's a bit annoying but, compared to having to pay a state income tax that ranges up to 14.6% of income (seriously), it's really not that bad.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

For the record... I have stopped buying groceries in the stores where the bags are no longer a courtesy.
I think the thing people are missing here is that much of this grocery bag stuff is being forced onto the cities by the state of CA. CA has mandated that cities reduce the amount of trash that flows into SF Bay.

Eventually, you may not have a choice in the matter because all of the cities around the bay may effectively end up being forced into banning plastic bags, like it or not.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Yep, this is the not very secret theme that is underlying much of the discontent with this law. Dudes don't want to look "gay".

Funny, where a new industry pops up, savvy entrepreneurs seize on the opportunity. Anybody up for bag manufacturing, or advertising on them?
I'm gay and I don't care how I look. Yet I still don't like the ban on bags. It's a pain. A lot of times, I walk to the grocery store and it isn't convenient to go home and get a grocery bag or carry one around with me all day. Even when I am in the car, I tend to forget to bring one into the store, even though I have them in the trunk.

I also use them for trash bags....so when my stash runs out, I will have to start buying trash bags, which is annoying.

It does annoy me that people waste them and litter them, though....so I do understand the intend of the law. I wish people would be more responsible, but I guess that is asking too much .

Old 01-07-2013, 03:03 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
In ohio you have to pay for paper bags or bring your own. Just bring your own. It isn't rocket science.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 AM

206 posts, read 570,769 times
What's the big deal?

I've been saving my plastic bags for years. Got a gazillion of them.

There's no law against me bringing in my own plastic bags.

Cost zero.

Problem solved.

You all can now thank me.

TIA

Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
What's the big deal?

I've been saving my plastic bags for years. Got a gazillion of them.

There's no law against me bringing in my own plastic bags.

Cost zero.

Problem solved.

You all can now thank me.

TIA
We save ours too. We use the plastic sacks for trashbags in the smaller cans in the bathroom/bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland