Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:09 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung123 View Post
Its not so much the extra cost or hassal. But the simple fact we have a nanny government saying we have too. That is making people like me mad as hell. Its one thing to have an anti-litter law. Which would also clean up the mess. (I think a $200 fine for throwing a bag or other litter would be more of a deterrent than forcing everyone to pay an extra ten cents per bag.) Its another thing to force everyone to pay ten cents or carry extra bags with them.
Bags aren't nanny state. Nanny state is the talk about making a law outlawing smoking in your own home, if you live in a shared wall facility....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
A relative is an assistant manager at one of the chain stores...

He said bringing your own bag has it's problems.

First is cleanliness... everyday without fail, someone will put the most disgusting, filthy bag on the check-stand... one looked like it was used for rotting fruit.

Another is aiding shoplifting... going through the store and placing items in the bag while "Shopping"

Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
News flash: while this bag-charging racket may seem extreme to some, it's been in use in Europe for decades. I guess only crazy San Francisco is over-the-top enough to adopt the world's radical environmental policies of the 1970s concerning shopping bags. Just another example of how much this country lives in a bubble, oblivious to the rest of the world. I mean, it's ten cents, and it's a paper bag. Who cares?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
I used to use paper bags I got from grocery stores as my receptacles for recyclables. Now I have to go and buy an extra plastic trashcan to use since I no longer have the paper bag option.
Well, don't you still have the option if you pay 10 cents? Use a 25 cent coupon for something and you still come out ahead.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
Paper bags are destroying the natural ecosystem? LOL.
The Lorax says "Yes"

Old 10-20-2012, 06:51 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I usually just bring reusable bags. Yes, this has gotten a bit ridiculous!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
News flash: while this bag-charging racket may seem extreme to some, it's been in use in Europe for decades. I guess only crazy San Francisco is over-the-top enough to adopt the world's radical environmental policies of the 1970s concerning shopping bags. Just another example of how much this country lives in a bubble, oblivious to the rest of the world. I mean, it's ten cents, and it's a paper bag. Who cares?
First this isn't Europe and second... I never paid for a bag all the time I lived in Europe.

Grocery stores always bring the empty boxes to the front of the store for customer use and I often would grab one to "bag" my purchase.

Also, I have been offered a free bag on occasion... there is no hard and fast rule that I am aware of "Requiring" stores to sell bags.

On one assignment, I brought over some Oakland A's lightweight duffel bags to give to co-workers... they really like them for shopping because the bags would easily compress to fit in a pocket...

As to bags in general... my bags are always re-purposed. It was not all that long ago when we were told plastic is the environmentally friendly way because it saved trees.

How bout this for a news flash... actually let the store set the policy and the customers decide where to their money is spent?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
How bout this for a news flash... actually let the store set the policy and the customers decide where to their money is spent?

Because the stores don't have to foot the bill for externalities, they can just give the bags away and let someone else worry about the cleanup, environment, etc. By making the customer aware of the cost involved with the product, he/she gets to make a choice between contributing towards paying for the externalities or changing his/her behaviour. And then everybody wins!

Old 10-20-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Because the stores don't have to foot the bill for externalities, they can just give the bags away and let someone else worry about the cleanup, environment, etc. By making the customer aware of the cost involved with the product, he/she gets to make a choice between contributing towards paying for the externalities or changing his/her behaviour. And then everybody wins!
If the bags are re-purposed as we do... the argument for externalities falls by the wayside.

Externalities can be argued for just about anything...

No cost Parking for Shoppers, produce bags, packaging from individual groceries, coupons, promotions, etc...

Old 10-21-2012, 02:08 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
If the bags are re-purposed as we do... the argument for externalities falls by the wayside
Not nearly enough people re-use them or properly dispose of them. And they seem to escape the receptacles, trucks, and landfills that are supposed to contain them. Unfortunately, since cities don't have nearly enough manpower to clean all this stuff, it falls on non-profits like ours to try and get an increasingly out-of-control problem in check. Our waterways reach critical mass in no time with all this plastic waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland