U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 04:44 PM

385 posts, read 309,353 times

Advertisements

I've generally been a liberal throughout my adult life, but the latest requirement that merchants in San Francisco charge people for paper bags is ridiculous. In response to this dumb law, I am going to drive to South San Francisco whenever possible to shop, thereby increasing pollution. I am also going to be increasing my online purchases, since I won't be jerked around about niggling charges, and my purchase will be delivered right to my doorstep. Of course, that will consume energy and cause pollution, and my order will be still be in a (free) box or bag. The law of unintended consequences strikes again!

Does anyone else think the Nanny-state mentality has gone too far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 PM

25 posts, read 24,377 times
Nope! Bring a bag. There is enough wasted paper with mailings, etc. SF is focused on being as green a city as possible - don't you think that is a positive goal?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:32 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,866,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
I've generally been a liberal throughout my adult life, but the latest requirement that merchants in San Francisco charge people for paper bags is ridiculous. In response to this dumb law, I am going to drive to South San Francisco whenever possible to shop, thereby increasing pollution.
And you will spend far more than 10 extra cents (per bag) on gas for each trip. Knock yourself out!

Also, having stuff delivered to your door is actually more environmentally friendly than driving somewhere yourself and buying it. Again: knock yourself out!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:03 PM

801 posts, read 1,264,367 times
You might want to rethink traveling to SSF in the future . They have been under a voluntary bag ban for several months and the reusable bag ordinance is scheduled to be presented for consideration to their BOS on October 23. And don't stop in Millbrae...you'll have to pay for paper bags there, too. Several other cities on the peninsula are in various stages of implementing a ban.

It doesn't bother me. I bought reusable bags and only get annoyed when I have to go back to the car after forgetting to get my reusable bags from the car.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,469,384 times
Quote:
I've generally been a liberal throughout my adult life, but the latest requirement that merchants in San Francisco charge people for paper bags is ridiculous. In response to this dumb law, I am going to drive to South San Francisco whenever possible to shop
I've been driving south to shop ever since they did the plastic bag ban! The Pak N' Sav store in South SF is the same as a Safeway except they have a lot more items in stock. I think the Safeway.com trucks use it to load so the store is huge and has a great inventory of everything. The other 2 Safeways in SSF are lousy and the one in Daly City is always too crowded. Target has lots of grocery items at much lower prices than Safeway or Lucky. Daly City is also good for ethnic groceries with the 99 Ranch Market,Kukje market and Daly City market(Mexican grocery).

Quote:
I am also going to be increasing my online purchases, since I won't be jerked around about niggling charges, and my purchase will be delivered right to my doorstep.
Iherb.com for healthy type groceries that one might find at Whole Foods or Rainbow. Free 2-day shipping for orders >$40.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 PM

177 posts, read 234,305 times
Quote:
I've generally been a liberal throughout my adult life, but the latest requirement that merchants in San Francisco charge people for paper bags is ridiculous. In response to this dumb law, I am going to drive to South San Francisco whenever possible to shop, thereby increasing pollution. I am also going to be increasing my online purchases, since I won't be jerked around about niggling charges, and my purchase will be delivered right to my doorstep. Of course, that will consume energy and cause pollution, and my order will be still be in a (free) box or bag. The law of unintended consequences strikes again!

The Nanny state has gone way too far! I am sick of it! Which is why I purchases tobacco products on line. From sources overseas. So as to avoid the stupid state tax's. Through the ecological foot print of using mail order. Due to the fact that one truck is able to deliver to many locations. Mail order is actually more environmentally friendly than if everyone drove to the store themselves and made the purchases. Its also a lot cheaper. Since its easier to take advantage of sales else where. I often save fifty percent or more!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 PM

3,161 posts, read 4,631,183 times
Quote:

It's really a "non-issue" for me, sorry to say. I lived in Europe for a few years and this is the way it's done- so I just got very used to carrying my reusable bags in the car with me (I've got tons of them so I always have a few with me in the trunk).

Even more shocking (for some of you) is that I mostly even bag my own groceries. In Europe, this is the way it's done. You also need to "pay" for your shopping cart too! You put a euro into the cart to unlock it. You really learn to slow down and live int he moment! If you want your euro back, then you bring it back to the "trolley bay" to get your euro back.

The cashiers sit down (they don't stand), and ring up your stuff and that's it. Sometimes they'll help you bag your stuff to move you along faster or if you're elderly or dealing with kids, but you generally do it yourself like in Food 4'less or similar. I guess I'm just accustomed to it nowadays so I tend to not just stand there wasting time while the line behind me backs up.

I don't think it's an issue because I'm accustomed to it, see how the roads, waterways, and landfills aren't clogged or polluted with these bags anymore (and it used to be a horrible problem where I lived), and I like getting a little added exercise to get myself out of the store a lot faster...move the line along.

I know we're not in Europe, but these kinds of things just become the norm and aren't the big deal that we make of them after a while. Change is hard but it does cause you to live in the moment a little more.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 PM

863 posts, read 503,639 times
Quote:

Geez, it looks like I caught you in the middle of a tantrum. You'll get over it, comply and actually be happy for this law. It may take a decade of Sundays but mark my words..... !

Old 10-18-2012, 07:44 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,866,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
It's really a "non-issue" for me, sorry to say. I lived in Europe for a few years and this is the way it's done-
Yep, so did I, and it was exactly as you described. Annoying at first but we eventually got used to it.

Now if we only had public transportation that was up to European standards...

Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,469,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
You'll get over it, comply and actually be happy for this law.
He might be happier when he finds the stores outside of SF are cleaner,less crowded,cheaper and more pleasant to shop in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland