Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,076 times

Advertisements

We live in Fairfax County, Virginia, my job is moving to Dublin, California. We are in a 5 bedroom 3 bath 3800 sf home (current value $600K), have two children 10 & 12 who are in good public schools here. We moved here from a planned community in Weston, FL (near Ft. Lauderdale) and the Dublin area looks pretty similar..The prices are higher though. My commute is about an hour to hour and fifteen minutes now.

Can anybody help us to decide whether it is better to live in Dublin and eat the extra housing cost or is Tracy okay as far as a commute? Any thoughts on other possibilities is greatly appreciated too.. I am a white collar gov't type and we are looking for a safe place with good public schools to raise our children.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:55 AM

23,516 posts, read 23,995,040 times
I would move to Dublin, Pleasanton (great public schools) or Livermore. The commute from Tracy westbound in the morning hours is terrible on I-580 and the reverse is true in the afternoon.

Castro Valley (closer to the Bay) is another option.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
I agree. Stay out of Tracy due to traffic. CCM's suggestions are pretty good. Livermore is a little less expensive and pretty nice. Pleasanton is a bit more expensive than Dublin. Castro Valley is most older housing stock from the 1950s and 60s, so that depends on your preferences of housing.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:28 PM

41 posts, read 156,007 times
Default East Bay

I agree with recent posters. I lived in the East Bay for 22 years. I would say Tracy is a pretty long commute into the major metro areas (SF, Oakland). Dublin is probably a good bet if you don't mind a lack of diversity. Fremont is an option. Casto Valley is a great option with a bit lower housing prices and CVUSD is good. The good thing is you will have ACE train servie and BART. BART is awesome and as your kids get older, they can get around the Bay Area to see museums, etc. Good luck! I have now lived in Seattle for 4 years and miss the Bay Area sop much!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 PM

102,189 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Why do you have 5 bedrooms with just 2 kids? You'll have to cut down on square footage, but otherwise, it's definitely do-able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notswedish View Post
Good luck! I have now lived in Seattle for 4 years and miss the Bay Area sop much!!!
OMG! I went to university in Seattle after growing up in the Bay Area, and stayed in Seattle TOO LONG! I feel your pain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland