Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 PM

24 posts, read 63,395 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Im a young professional looking to move out to sf from chicago. I had a couple of questions for the folks on this forum.

1. Has anyone driven interstate 80 in winter (december) ? What are some other suggestions for drives? I wouldnt want to spend more than a week driving. My current stops would be chicago -> omaha -> cheyenne -> slc -> reno -> sf.

2. What are good areas of the bay for 20-somethings to live?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,054,023 times
a) I-80 gets closed down in areas like Wyoming during heavy snows, which are obviously unpredictable.
b) Best places to live will depend on your budget, where you work, and how long you want to commute. So figure that out first. Get a job first and then you can call yourself a young professional. And you'll have a better idea of where to live.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
a) I-80 gets closed down in areas like Wyoming during heavy snows, which are obviously unpredictable.
b) Best places to live will depend on your budget, where you work, and how long you want to commute. So figure that out first. Get a job first and then you can call yourself a young professional. And you'll have a better idea of where to live.
when is the time of the heaviest snow usually in WY? is december one of those months? I've heard march is pretty bad but wasn't sure if december is that way.

and in regards to your other comment, you don't have to be so rude. i'm asking a question on an online forum for gods sake.

anyway, for other more helpful members, i'm going to move out there first before i get a job. i've tried for a few years to try and get a job when i've been living elsewhere, and its pretty much impossible. i was just asking as a general question...what neighborhoods do young people live?

Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,690,741 times
He wasn't being rude, he was telling you that we don't have enough information to give you a proper answer.

Right off the bat, you do know that the average 1 bedroom apartment in SF is going for $2500 and up, with multiple offers, right? SF isn't a city you just drive into and succeed anymore, you need to have solid plans in place before getting here.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 AM

6,409 posts, read 8,251,572 times
I wouldn't take 80

If you want to play it safe, head south and take 40 across then 5 north.

I've driven from DC/NC to California twice in January, and it was only feasible using the southern route

Then again, both times I made the drive I had a stable job and place to live already. mayorhaggar is 100% right

Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 AM

i mean you guys are definitely making sense. but i have enough liquidity and i'm at a stage in my life where i am able to take the risk to go out there.

04kl4nd, is 40 a scenic route or just simply a safer route?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 AM

8,996 posts, read 10,439,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva00x0 View Post
i mean you guys are definitely making sense. but i have enough liquidity and i'm at a stage in my life where i am able to take the risk to go out there.

04kl4nd, is 40 a scenic route or just simply a safer route?
It's a route where you're less likely to encounter road-closing snow, but it could still happen. I-80, as already mentioned, goes through areas where severe winter weather can be expected, not just in Wyoming and Utah but also in California itself, going over the Sierra.

Either way you should carry tire chains and know how to use them.

And by "enough liquidity" I hope you mean at least $12K in the bank, unless you're willing to live like a college student for the first few months of your stay here. If it takes you 2 months to find a job, that's about $6K in living expenses right there -- and a deposit + first month + a few sticks of furniture will eat up the remaining $6K.

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 AM

thanks for the advice, pch.

do you guys recommend living in the suburbs? i should have probably mentioned that i'm open to living outside the city, as long as I'm in the bay area. although, i've heard everywhere is really expensive. thoughts?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,969,495 times
Yes...the Bay Area is very expensive.

We can't recommend anywhere YET because we don't know your budget/income or where your job is located or what kind of accommodation situation you're looking for.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 AM

I'm not looking to spend more than 1300 per person for an apartment. Ideally, i'm looking to get a 2 or 3 person apartment. hopefully, i will be working in south san francisco or around stanford or even closer to San Jose (i'm in the pharma/biotech industry but haven't nailed anything down specific yet).

i have relatives and friends and such in the bay area to fall back on, so in case it DOESN'T go my way, i have backups. but truly, i'm just kind of moving out here for the adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland