Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 AM

140 posts, read 239,699 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in the SF financial district (Market & Fremont). I want to live as far south as possible-- toward Palo Alto/San Jose (quality of life/where we'll spend weekends).

I'm pretty familiar with the area as have lived in SF & SJ before.

Where can I live to maintain a 45-min or less commute? Prefer a walkable neighborhood, and to take public transit, though am ok to drive to a BART station.

I'm thinking downtown Burlingame (Caltrain or BART) or downtown San Mateo (Caltrain or BART) are the best options. Is San Carlos doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM

538 posts, read 1,191,670 times
Take a look at the Caltrain schedule (Weekday Timetable). The most convenient way to get downtown is on a Baby Bullet, which does not stop in Burlingame or San Carlos. Among the 3 towns you mentioned San Mateo has the best Caltrain schedule by far. Another possibility is getting on the train at Hillsdale, which is at the southern edge of San Mateo, close to Belmont. Hillsdale area got a bit of a face-lift in the last few of years and in my opinion is worth considering.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvitz View Post
Is San Carlos doable?
San Carlos is doable. About 45 minutes by Caltrain into SF. Nice walkable downtown near the station with restaurants and shops. Many apartment buildings within walking distance of downtown.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 PM

Thanks both!! I agree San Mateo (being on the bullet line) has the best times. Looks like 30min into SF if hit the 7:30ish trains, though then there's a 20-25min muni line or walk into downtown. I guess I'd get used to it.

I've not been to San Mateo downtown in a few years. It seemed like it had some cool Japanese/Chinese restaurants, pretty safe when I was last there. Would you say it's on the way up (to where Burlingame)? (I'd check myself but am based in Hong Kong, this is about moving back).

I had not considered Hillsdale, as it doesn't really have a walkable area near the station.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,670 times
Your assessment of downtown San Mateo is pretty much spot on, though it's debatable if it's quite at the level of Burlingame Ave. Here's what it looks like

Google Maps

Google Maps

Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 PM

Just as I remembered. I recall a Japanese grocery store, Taiwanese pearl milk tea place, etc. But also the usual Western fare. I don't mind if no J-Crew or Gap (ala Burlingame)--just that it's clean and safe and walkable and few homeless.

I think San Mateo is about as far South as I can go and still maintain a reasonable public transit commute.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
If you take Caltrain, remember to add 20-25 minutes walking time to the FiDi or 10 or so minutes (plus $2) for the bus.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvitz View Post
Just as I remembered. I recall a Japanese grocery store, Taiwanese pearl milk tea place, etc. But also the usual Western fare. I don't mind if no J-Crew or Gap (ala Burlingame)--just that it's clean and safe and walkable and few homeless.

I think San Mateo is about as far South as I can go and still maintain a reasonable public transit commute.
San Mateo's downtown is very nice and safe. I live there and have never felt unsafe at any time of the day. I take the train daily (going south to Palo Alto) and the walk to the station is pretty easy and convenient (about 3 blocks). The Caltrain service to San Mateo is much better than Burlingame and about equal to Hillsdale. The service going northbound to SF from San Mateo is quite good (baby bullet trains stop there).

I've only been here about 2 years, so can't comment on how it compares to the past when you might have visited before, but I think it's one of the best downtowns on the peninsula. I also appreciate the fact that it's pretty affordable compared to other towns with nice downtowns on the peninsula (such as Burlingame, Palo Alto/Menlo Park).

I do think downtown Burlingame is nice, but I don't see it being that much different than downtown San Mateo outside of the stores/shopping that Burlingame has (which are mostly chain stores, e.g. Apple store, GAP, etc). San Mateo tends to have less chain stuff, which I actually personally prefer. Also, like mentioned above, the Caltrain frequency to Burlingame is pretty bad...it was one of the main reasons I chose not to pursue apartments. But, Burlingame isn't too far from San Mateo, so if there's something there you want to do, it's quite close. I've walked to Burlingame from my apt a few times, it's just about 20 minutes walking, just about a mile down El Camino Real. Obviously, a quick drive.

Also, like I mentioned above, Burlingame is a little more expensive than San Mateo for comparable properties. This was something that always confused me when I was looking for apartments (since the towns are very similar in outward appearance/quality)...but, I've been told it's mainly due to school quality differences. When I was looking at apartments, the difference was generally about 200-400 dollars in a comparable apartment...in 2010, a decent $1300 1BR in San Mateo would match up pretty well to a $1500-1600 Burlingame 1BR. Today, these prices are higher as the rental market in the Bay Area has exploded, but the differences between pricing in the two towns should be consistent.

To me, San Mateo is the best compromise on having a nice/walkable downtown, safety, price, distance to SF, and Caltrain service. Try to get something near the station, if possible, to make your commute as easy as possible.

And in regards to Chinese/Japanese restaurants in San Mateo: there are a ton (many of which are quite popular, and often have lines on Friday/Saturday nights). If anything, I sometimes think there are almost too many Chinese/Japanese restaurants.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 11-01-2012 at 05:14 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 PM

This is why I love this site... smart people, really thorough responses (and people who love downtowns and cities, like me). Yes, figuring in the 20-25min for the Muni or walking (which I'd prefer if not wearing a buttoned down shirt/in the warm weather). Thus seems like San Mateo would put it about 45-50min if can time it to the baby bullet and if live near the station.

Thanks very much for all the responses. I will spend serious time in San Mateo (+ the other areas) when I make a visit.

A last question--are those commuter buses (Bauer's) which have popped in recent years viable? Most SF companies I'd consider don't partner with them (nor have their own). Seems they are more for SF-ers commuting to the Valley. Just trying to see if any other options.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
Those buses are run by companies for their own employees, I don't think outsiders can get on them.
And you're correct, most are taking city-dwellers down to the Valley, except for Genentech in South SF which has buses coming from everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland